The High Cost Of Teaching Legally In Thailand

Apologies for being off topic here, but I want to repsond to some earlier posts. I'm presently studying English with the Open University and part of the course discussed the 'me and my boyfriend' vs 'my boyfriend and I' issue, and state both are perfectly acceptable (course U210). In fact this course left me realising that grammar and spelling are not as important as we like to think, though of course there should be a standard so we can agree what to teach.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a qualified teacher in both elementary and secondary education and furthered my qualifications in Special Education. With my qualifications I had been with a University there in Thailand from 1994+ and noticed many many "un-qualified" and "un-professional" men who were accepted because they were 'handsome' . . . or, in one certain case, an instructor who was taking female students to clubs in Patpong to 'learn how to work' ! I had a Brain Tumor in 2005 and had to come back to the USA as the doctor (who was taught in my country) told me to come back here for serious surgery and that no hospital in the country was up to the quality needed for my emergencies.

With that in mind concerning "quality teachers" - - just look around and see how many truly qualified teachers are no longer there. My colleagues were Principles of High Schools, Authors, fully qualified English teachers and definitely surprised by the above mentioned 'handsome' and 'business instrustors'. We are all no longer there in Amazing Thailand.

Now with the Kingdom wanting qualified teachers they need to (1) offer much better salaries, (2) contact teaching school programs in all universities in the USA and England and (3) KICK OUT THE TRASH that was again mentioned !!!!

Korea : 80,000 Baht a month

Thailand : 22,500 Baht a month

I know many teachers who 'just' have a BA (not in teaching) and are making your Korean wage here in Thailand with no major issues and sensible work hours. If you don't have a degree of any sort then... you do have a problem - really wouldn't be worth it to me, but to each his/her own.

Guest Bellini
Could it be that somebody somewhere in the Thai government is deliberately making it difficult (strict requirements for teachers of English but insufficient budget to employ teachers meeting these requirements) for Thai students to receive good instruction in the English language? But what motive would somebody have to do so?

What, are you suggesting that China and Japan would pay bribes to compete to have Thais learn their languages as the primary ones so as to gradually construct a symbiotic relationship of food and tech transfer... and to reduce the amount of Anglophone foreigners getting wed to Thai girls and "westernising" the nation by sheer weight of numbers and economic impact? ...a bit far fetched!

From where did you get the notion about China and Japan paying bribes to compete to have Thais learn their languages as the primary ones? Is it possible that I expressed myself with insufficient clarity?

Apologies for being off topic here, but I want to repsond to some earlier posts. I'm presently studying English with the Open University and part of the course discussed the 'me and my boyfriend' vs 'my boyfriend and I' issue, and state both are perfectly acceptable (course U210). In fact this course left me realising that grammar and spelling are not as important as we like to think, though of course there should be a standard so we can agree what to teach.

Yes,you are off topic. And “me and my boyfriend” is perfectly correct in the dative and accusative case, but not in the nominative case. Not in British English, anyway.

American English may have a different approach. I know an American professor teaching art history who insists that it is correct to say “he said to my wife and I that...”

But if you want to discuss this further, please start a new topic on this subject.

--

Maestro

You are absolutely right! I have no idea about the English curriculum in Thailand, but fact is: the pupils do not learn to speak. The reason could be classes of around 35 ore even more. Another reason might be the fact, that everything is being learned or just read rather out of a book, than by role play, learnig by heart (idioms), or by "edutainment", which gives the learning person a vivid remembrance of what has been learned and where and when, thus keeping the learning process alive.

Due to bureaucratic obstacles like presenting the balance sheets for the last 5 years, the condition to increase the capital, showing evidence that none of the jobs Thai teachers are at stake when a farang teacher will be employed, all this makes it sometimes difficult for private schools to hire experienced English teachers. In the long run those teachers though might be more happy without a job, as they would not be able to teach with the didactic methods of today, not to mention the impossibility to train certain mathetics.

Best regards

Walter

as somebody who was once interested in teaching english in thailand, i recently sat in on a 3 week course at a Rajabat university in Isan..i wont name the uni to save its face..the teacher was from Taiwan, and spoke no thai whatsoever, but was trying to teach thai students who spoke virtually no english whatsoever...where does interaction and communication come from in this situation.

In a class of around 40 students, most were preoccupied on their mobile phones, or talking about their escapades from the previous night...when the teacher set a task, the one clever student had a go at it, then passed around his paper for the remaining 39 to copy...some students would turn up 10 minutes before the end of class just to get their mark.

Low and behold, 40 students obtained pass certificates, and left the class no more fluent in English than when they started it...it was a diabolical joke...i have no tefal qualifications or any degree, but could have achieved far more than the buffoon, with all the right qualifications,and permits who was teaching... a simple test would be far more appropriate than the money spinning rigmarole currently in place

Could it be that somebody somewhere in the Thai government is deliberately making it difficult (strict requirements for teachers of English but insufficient budget to employ teachers meeting these requirements) for Thai students to receive good instruction in the English language? But what motive would somebody have to do so?

What, are you suggesting that China and Japan would pay bribes to compete to have Thais learn their languages as the primary ones so as to gradually construct a symbiotic relationship of food and tech transfer... and to reduce the amount of Anglophone foreigners getting wed to Thai girls and "westernising" the nation by sheer weight of numbers and economic impact? ...a bit far fetched!

From where did you get the notion about China and Japan paying bribes to compete to have Thais learn their languages as the primary ones? Is it possible that I expressed myself with insufficient clarity?

Perhaps the most far-fetched explanations are preferred?!

In reality the Thai elite ruling this country has only its own interests in mind and an english-speaking population - as good as it would be for "the people" in Thailand - is just not a high priority. Does Samak benefit from Thais speaking english? No. Not at all. More interaction with the outside world could even lead to dangerous ideas. So why would he care? The best he can do is to implement some populistic policies that make it look like doing the right thing, sort of like the jumble of rules supposed to guarantee better quality english teachers. It's perfect from a populist standpoint - "let's regulate those dam_n foreigners!"

Thais will learn English despite the government because everyone has to these days. Just don't expect Thai politicians to help.

Obviously, Korea, Japan, and even China are quite different in this regard.

Edited by nikster

I have been a qualified teacher in both elementary and secondary education and furthered my qualifications in Special Education. With my qualifications I had been with a University there in Thailand from 1994+ and noticed many many "un-qualified" and "un-professional" men who were accepted because they were 'handsome' . . . or, in one certain case, an instructor who was taking female students to clubs in Patpong to 'learn how to work' ! I had a Brain Tumor in 2005 and had to come back to the USA as the doctor (who was taught in my country) told me to come back here for serious surgery and that no hospital in the country was up to the quality needed for my emergencies.

With that in mind concerning "quality teachers" - - just look around and see how many truly qualified teachers are no longer there. My colleagues were Principles of High Schools, Authors, fully qualified English teachers and definitely surprised by the above mentioned 'handsome' and 'business instrustors'. We are all no longer there in Amazing Thailand.

Now with the Kingdom wanting qualified teachers they need to (1) offer much better salaries, (2) contact teaching school programs in all universities in the USA and England and (3) that was again mentioned !!!!

I think unicorn that you have put a lot of effort into constructing a story just so you could use the term 'KICK OUT THE TRASH' in block capitals. Are you a native English speaker? Your post doesn't give this impression.

Why do not more native English teachers who fully meet all requirements under Thai laws and regulations apply for work in Thailand and then receive co-operation from the schools to obtain a work permit?

I know lot's of teachers that have all the necessary qualifications, certifications and experience, but stop teaching in the Thai schools for many reasons. The private schools are paid by the parents so the students cannot under any circumstance fail. The students in the lousy public schools cannot fail so as to not em-bare-ass the parents. The students for the most part misbehave, almost riotous was how it was put to me, and not many have the voice day after day of trying to talk over a classroom "lounge". I have taught in the international private schools, and I have taught in the public schools. Never again thank you, I don't need the aggravation. I'm not here to get rich, I'm certainly not here to look for a husband, I'm here to make a difference, but I'm not going to try to change a culture, especially one such as the Thai culture where common sense and consideration seem pretty non-existent. This Thai culture seems to take no responsibility for it's actions, expects everything, especially if you're rich, enjoys being racist to the point of flaunting it. They have to grow up before they can expect special anything. Thailand contrary to the popular Thai belief is not special, it's just another country. Every country is special to it's people in some way or another. Why Thailand is just for Thais, but that every developed country welcomes diversity, should at some point or another send a message. They sure do like the "farang-oriental" mixed actors on TV though.

The High Cost Of Teaching Legally In Thailand, Cost-benefit ratio is out of whack

I would agree with PB here. Since coming to Thailand six years ago I have spent over 500,000 THB improving my CV by completing additional courses to meet the standards of a qualified teacher. I believed people six years ago when they told me that there was no future as a non-degree teacher. Was all the time and money worth it? Was it <deleted>.

Despite now having a a degree and PGCE I will still be earning the same amount of money that I did six years ago. In fact I've dropped a bit as that old job gave a free travel pass.

What about all the learning I hear you say? Well to be honest, I improved far more as a teacher from 5 years teaching, as a volunteer in a local school, than I did from any of the courses. All these courses really provided me with is the ability to use current buzz words.

If this is truly a problem that is wanted to be solved they could do random, unannounced spot-checks of schools. If a foreigner is found to be working illegally give them a week to leave the country. But also hold the school, president or director responsible and make it known publicly.

Foreigners don't work in a vacum. They need cooperation from locals to work illegally. If schools refuse to hire because of repercussions then the problem is solved. If directors or presidents stand to be fined or lose their job because they hire illegals I am sure the practise would cease. The foreigners work illegally because they can.

"So what? What's demand and supply got to do with a the rightness and wrongness of a country insisting on equal standards?

Isn't at best a little patronising to be discussing this topic implicit with the prejudice that it is somehow morally acceptable for Thais to accept lower standards than you would accept in your own country yourself? "

It doesn't have to do with accepting less. It has to do with demanding these higher trained and/or educated teachers but paying low wages for said qualifications. It's that simple.

You want a better teacher, yes, you have to pay appropriate wages. If these qualifications make one a better teacher is a different issue altogether.

The comments are all noted, having worked as a teacher of speaking and reading english, the school ( a up country one )has implemented a requirement for B Ed and age max 45, BUT they will only pay 25000 Baht per month, 9 months out of 12, therefore no self respecting teacher is going to apply as the pay is lidicrus, accomodationn unacceptable, but the school's attitude hurts the kids. Who in my mind come a close last to Thai teachers thinking

"So what? What's demand and supply got to do with a the rightness and wrongness of a country insisting on equal standards?

Isn't at best a little patronising to be discussing this topic implicit with the prejudice that it is somehow morally acceptable for Thais to accept lower standards than you would accept in your own country yourself? "

It doesn't have to do with accepting less. It has to do with demanding these higher trained and/or educated teachers but paying low wages for said qualifications. It's that simple.

You want a better teacher, yes, you have to pay appropriate wages. If these qualifications make one a better teacher is a different issue altogether.

In the UK and Ireland there are many non-degree holders teaching foreign languages. You can find them teaching many night classes. So please come down from your high horse as you are making me dizzy.

I think one of the major issues is." Why do the Thai English teachers get the World offered to them for teaching, yet Falang teachers who can actually speak the language get offered a pittance?' Have you ever seen a poor Thai teacher. They get bonuses, incentives, nil-percentage loans to buy what they like. They all live in vast properties, where the average Falang teacher, does not have two pennies to rub together. In fact, the only well off foreign teachers I have seen in our disrtict, are those who volunteer and do it for free. And believe me I know.

Let me give you an example of rank stupidity;

We hired a Thai English Ajan to teach our step-son out of hours. Imagine my feelings,when after three or four weeks the boy could still not utter a word of coherant English. I quized the teacher, and to my horror realised that this portly school Mam could her self not speak a word of English. She had a top job at the school based on the fact that she could READ English,and understand a little. Now this is a true story, and she was getting four or five times the salary Falangs were being offered. What chance do these kids have?

PS: sorry for the edit, my com went crazy half way through. (not paying it enough?)

Edited by lampard10

As a Teaching Forum moderator and the original poster of this thread, thanks to all who responded (it is on a ThaiVisa notification list by emails). However, as my fellow moderators have pointed out, the topic is the high cost of teaching legally or illegally. My old buddy aka traveler, from northern California, came and left because his school directors could not get off their large rear ends and make him legal. expatwannabe and his boyfriend escaped to Canada. My two or three schools, similar experience; I never was legal.

I was mostly talking about fairly well qualified teachers, such as holding an unrelated BA or BS, maybe a TEFL certification, and in many cases, two or more years of direct experience in teaching English in Thailand. We cannot get legal, no matter how hard we try. Our Irish nurse garro feels after spending 500,000 baht, he still has too many problems becoming legal and staying that way.

The laws of Thailand (such as they exist, jumbled and misunderstood) make it too difficult. I have no objections to farang who can actually teach successfully, doing so without a work permit, proper visa, Thai Culture course, Thai profuxional education course, etc., breaking the law (whatever the law is). I am not encouraging the breaking of Thai law, but I am surely not condemning the lawbreakers who wish to teach English well and who are prevented from it, like several who have already posted.

Ihave stayed away from these arguments for good reason, but I would just like to make a couple

of comments.

1. At last check through the MOE here in Thailand, there is no requirement for a "native speaker"

to have a Teachers Licence (It is required for Thai teachers.) even though the need for a T/L to obtain a work permit continues.

2. As we are well aware, the problem of getting Thais to speak English depends upon the need.

At school they learn English for 1 hour a week, they then leave the classroom and also the English behind them. You cannot learn another language without putting in the time.

People that work in environments were the are subjected to English on a DAILY basis have a far better chance of becoming proficient. ( example for the "boys" out there ) the bar girl at your local watering hole. :o

I have been living here in Thailand for more than fifteen years now, and am often asked by thais, since I am English and speak good Thai, why i don't teach english.

I try to explain to them that I have never had any training, and have no qualifications....but they just look at me as if I am too lazy to teach.

I try to explain to them....the truth......that...

1) Teaching is not an occupation, which anyone can do, but rather, a vocation...much like nursing. All the qualifications under the sun do not make you a teacher, that is a matter of your own love and desire for teaching, plus having a knack or gift for it. A GOOD teacher will get his students interested in the subject, so that they WANT to learn, and also make the subject fun and interesting too.

2) Just look at the two sides of the coin here in Thailand. On the one side are the students who have studied (sic.) English since Pratom, through Matayom and to university level....but are incapable of holding a conversation. On the other side of the coin are the bar girls, who with no previous knowledge, but a great desire to learn, manage to converse in pigin english within a few months.

3) I like to wave the carrot of the Internet too....since those Thais who are too lazy to learn English, helped by all the software and web sites which are in Thai, back themselves into a tiny corner of the Great Hall which is the Internet....and lose, lose, lose

Students of all subjects, not just English, have to WANT to learn, in order to progress. Forcing them to learn a subject which they are not interested in is a waste of time. All the curriculums in the world are no use without good teachers.

I learned Thai quite easily, because i wanted to, and had the desire to learn, so it was fun and not work, even though I have heard that it is a difficult language.....all subjects are difficult if we do not like them.

Hello everyone,

Well although I am a member of this forum I almost never post an answer.

I have worked in Thailand for more than four years.

I teach French and English (part time). I have a WP from the first days, without too much difficulties. The costs are covered by the school or the University where I work(ed).

One has to pay attention to things like reentry permit and so on. I have a TEFL certificate and a Master Degree, it helps...

I would like to take this opportunity to warn every one against scams, in particular jobs in Nigeria :o linked with an attractive package, it's merely a swindling! I got such a proposition a few days ago, fortunately they are not very clever. :D

Cheers for now. :D

I have been teaching in Thailand since 1998. When I came, I had all of the necessary requirements plus some 25 years of teaching experience. I was making substantially less than the salaries quted here.

Since then, I have see the requirements go from having a BS to additionally having TEFL certification (or the equivalent). When that rule came into effect, I was in the process of changing jobs. The large and respected Thai school that I was applying to required the TEFL certification and my US BS/MS DIPLOMAS. Note that I threw those pieces of paper away when I got them. I had had a Thai work permit for some 5 years based on my official university transcripts. The school advised me to take a trip to Khao San Road and get diplomas and a TEFL certificate because they would not submit the papers for the work permit without them. THEY ADVISED ME!

I instead took a job teaching in an International school and while there I took a real TEFL class.

Now I am teaching at a provincial University where I don't need the TEFL and making 30,000 a month. In the first semester I was here at the Uni, I was teaching English. I went to a meeting in Bangkok where there were over 100 University level English teachers all but 2 of whom were Thai. None of those teachers would speak in English. Why? Because they are afraid. Native speakers are taught to speak not by credentialed teachers but rather by their mothers. They are taught to communicate. Thais studying English are never encouraged or invited to communicate particularly by Thai teachers (generally - there are obviously exceptions). Thais do not communicate in English because they have never been taught to do so.

All of these requirements mean nothing not because they shouldn't but rather because of the overall attitude of the education sysem. That is in part because of class size. It is in part because to be successful at it, you have to be in it for more than a paychceck. It is also because most Thais really don't understand that the value of being able to speak, read and write English is not to impress someone but rather to be able to communicate - TWO WAYS. It is even a struggle getting Thai graduate students to use English. They sometimes even flat out refuse to read academic literature that is in English in order to know what is going on outside of Thailand. With out knowing or even wanting to know what is going on in the world outside of Thailand, there is no point in all of the rules or all of the emphasis in studying English.

The real problem is not the high cost of teaching in Thailand it is the high cost of learning. Thais are paying huge amounts of money for no tangible product. And the reason is more a function of the Thai side of the equation and the reasons they are studying and how they study than it is on the qualifications of the people teaching here.

</rant>

PS. Payscales for teachers (Thai and foreign) are indeed wretched here as they are in almost all countries.

Now with the Kingdom wanting qualified teachers they need to (1) offer much better salaries, (2) contact teaching school programs in all universities in the USA and England and (3) that was again mentioned !!!!

I think unicorn that you have put a lot of effort into constructing a story just so you could use the term 'KICK OUT THE TRASH' in block capitals. Are you a native English speaker? Your post doesn't give this impression.

I am definitely a native English speaker . . . why would you even think I was not?

Well I read the whole thread and am amazed that the teaching salary is not the same for everyone with similar qualifications and experience (Thai or Farang). I think experience does count here, I remember my old math teacher at high school. He was the most "qualified" teacher at the school but I don't think anyone in his classes passed, me included. I had to repeat it ! I would however think that the least qualification be that you could read, write and speak it (English in this case). I guess being able to communicate in Thai would be handy. I would have assumed that the more qualified and experienced would end up in the universities on more pay ? You wouldn't think that teaching basic English communication to primary or secondary year students would be as vexing as correct grammatical structure or the pros of Shakespear at university. Is this not how it works ? Is the pay vastly different for Thais and foreigners ? Do you need the same qualifications for primary, secondary and tertiary teaching positions ? Is it not a basic requierment to be able to communicate (read, write and speak) Thai. I would have thought this an absolute must in the lower grades at least. Oh and one other question (and I apologise for getting OT, I am just trying to get a serious grip on the facts to truly understand the reasons for the OP), what happens as regards disipline in Thai schools ? I thought the teacher was respected, feared and revered. What form of punishment is allowed, corporal , detentions after hours or what ? All of this has a bearing on what is going on here. I think everyone would agree that the object is for the students to aquire knowlege that will benifit them in later life. Oh one more question, what is TEFL ?

Thanks, RigPig :o

Please forgive me if I'm repeating anyone but just skim read most posts. We've heard most of it before, indeed it's a popular topic in our staff room. Thai's view degrees differently from us; it's more of a case of 'have's' and 'have not's' ie if you don't have a degree you're NOT viewed as being educated in any way whatsoever. For Thai's without degrees the job market isn't too exciting. In UK you can 'make it' without a degree so many farang come here without one, not realising the attitudes. And we've all seen many degree holders fail miserably in the classroom as teachers.

But I think we have to stop comparing Thailand in such a direct way to, for example, UK or USA. It just leads to frustration. These countries are soooo different. If it's beyond my control I try my best not to stress about it, this helps a lot in LOS. As ever, a law is introduced here, it filters it's way down to the 'street' ie reality, and it stretches and bends to fit the situation. This I'm sure will happen with the 'teachers licence' idea. Time will tell. In the meantime I'm enjoying a very lengthy fully paid summer holiday, sure there are lots of crappy jobs here but there are some really nice ones as well!

Yeah, I missed the part where you explained what's wrong with a (developing) country insisting that foreign (teaching) employees meet similar professional standards to what they would have to in their own country.

Because demand is greater than supply? There is no reason to believe that preventing the unauthorized teachers from teaching will suddenly cause thousands of qualified individuals to arrive in Thailand ready to service the local market at a price it can reasonably be expected to pay.

So what? What's demand and supply got to do with a the rightness and wrongness of a country insisting on equal standards?

Isn't at best a little patronising to be discussing this topic implicit with the prejudice that it is somehow morally acceptable for Thais to accept lower standards than you would accept in your own country yourself? Quality is surely more likely to be better than quantity.

Just because change won't happen "suddenly", it does not follow that you should not promulgate change.

Where's the evidence that Thais can't teach themselves English as well as they need to? Many of us are capable of learning their language without a teacher.

If they need a more quality certificate and training, then allow it to have the same prestige as it would for us in our countries to have a professional qualification... let Thai universities have highly qualified teachers from abroad to help produce high quality Thai English-Language graduates, who can go on and service the market themselves without relying on (by virtue of the fact that they don't possess a degree in teaching or a degree and post-grad certificate, and are thus not professionals in the true sense) amateur teachers?

After all, how many of us at school had foreign language teachers who were graduates of the language, rather than native speakers?

I have trained teachers in Thailand in all subject areas and in general I find them very professional and competent teachers who are dedicated to their job. There is a problem with teaching English, especially in rural schools, in that there are not enough trained English teachers. You will find many "English teachers" are trained in other subject matter areas and are only teaching English because the principal asked them to as there are not enough trained English teachers available. Many of these "English teachers" lack motivation and expertise in English because it is not what they are interested in teaching. When I asked why there aren't there enough trained Thai English teachers available I am told if you can speak good English why would you want to teach as you can obtain higher paid jobs in other areas such as banks and the tourism industry. I see there point as the average teacher earns less than 15,000 baht a month. Another interesting point is that the average farang teacher earns 30,000 baht a month, while a full Thai university professor with an overseas phD would earn the same, of course there are a few other benifits such as housing they receive which the farang don't. These points should be kept in mind before criticizing the Thai education system which is not perfect, but they do have many dedicated and competent people working in it.

Every student is 'taught' by thousands of incapable 'teachers' but after many years of this torture (or joke?) cannot speak more than: "hello, what's your name? Where do you come from?" what they desperately need are no more 'teachers', but someone who really makes them communicate in English!

It’s unfair to always put the blame on Farang teachers because lots of Thai students in rural Thailand have never seen one. In the country side, they are taught by Thai teachers (One of these Thai teachers recently told me (in Thai!) that she can read English, write a few basics sentences but unfortunately can’t speak it.)

These schools can’t afford to pay a Farang teacher (qualified or not).

That said, in a village I know, every year in April they desperately look for a native English speaker to teach a few hours a day. No one would come. Usually they end up asking tourists and the few retirees living in the neighborhood. They pay a few thousands baths (+ free lunch. They can’t do more) and are ready to give all the help the teacher might need. Actually a whole village (a few hundred houses) is willing to give a helping hand. They are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met in LOS. Working 15 or 20 days in this village surrounded by those people is not a burden, it’s a lifetime experience.

Why nobody wants to come? Why is it always about money? Why not a single Farang would step forward and give back Thailand what Thailand has given him/her?

I’m sure that when the students move to Chiang Mai (Mathayom 4), their new native teachers probably complain about their poor command of English. But where were those teachers were they were needed?

This year I took the job because I know and love them (and praise their efforts) but it’s a shame because I’m a French lecturer.

Meanwhile the native speakers living around were busy sipping cold beers under their porch and complaining about the low level of English in this country :D

Sorry for being :o

Edited by adjan jb

Now with the Kingdom wanting qualified teachers they need to (1) offer much better salaries, (2) contact teaching school programs in all universities in the USA and England and (3) KICK OUT THE TRASH that was again mentioned !!!!

I think unicorn that you have put a lot of effort into constructing a story just so you could use the term in block capitals. Are you a native English speaker? Your post doesn't give this impression.

I am definitely a native English speaker . . . why would you even think I was not?

When I was replying to your post I accidentally cut and pasted your comment 'KICK OUT THE TRASH' and removed it from your response. It actually read a bit better without the nasty mean-spirited gibe.

If you are definitely a native English speaker then I apologise. It was just an impression I got from your post.

Edited by garro

I think a lot of teachers do private lessons or teach at a secondary location. Out of the illegal activities these seem to be on the "hardly criminal" list and many people don't even stop to think twice about it. Being able to pull in an extra 25,000 baht for 6hrs of extra work is worth the risk IMHO.

I know there are plenty of quality teachers working w/o a BA, some better than those with proper papers, but they are risking a lot more than others.

davidwright, people who live in glass houses should probably not being throwing stones. Your spelling is quite poor, so perhaps instead of attacking a fellow poster you might try offering advice instead.