Pigs

Thaicoon

We have had pigs before, but this time we just want them for the stink and mess they make, long story, not worried if we make any money from them, family will take care. 500 baht seems good.

I think you would be lucky,suckers are going for 2000bt a piece around our area.

At last someone who knows about pigs.

A question that has been intriguing me for years, How do they get the full grown pigs to go into those small cages I see on the back of pickups? :o

:D

Only ever done it 6 times so no expert, bit of food at the front of the cage and try to funnel them in by creating a corridor effect. then a wack on the Ass at the right moment, get it wrong and you could be chasing them around the Village for a couple of Hours; good exercise and entertainment for the Locals ;-)

Neighbour recons he paid 500 bt each for these little guys and says he should be able to sell for 3k when fat.. :D

Told then to smile but MKjai :D

:D that's a cool 600% profit in a relatively short period (3-5 months ?)....can't make that on the stock market... :o

LaoPo

The figures quoted seem a bit out of whack.

Last year when pork was in the low to mid 40,s suckers were selling at 1000-1200 each,they are usually fattened to about 100kg.

The Government fixed farm gate price was just raised to 65baht kg and processor price is about 62 baht kg liveweight, pork is retailing at 90-100 bt kg.

As an aside,its a bit of an eye opener seeing the farmers in Cambodia cart their 100kg pokers around, they give them a feed of mash and gunja and when they are high they stuff them head first into a tubular wicker basket and lash it to the back of their pushbike and away they go to market.

Hi Guys,

Wife and i have 10 rai spare just got a few trees on and a large lake, we are thinking of getting a few pigs, about 20 to 30 to start, what is the going rate these days to buy as sucklings.

As already said, 2000 baht is the going rate these days & that is unlikely to drop in the forseeable future.

You are obviously thinking of free ranging your pigs on the 10 rai site. Just a little advice, don't buy white pigs as they sunburn very easily, coloured pigs of Duroc / Pietrain breeding do much better in this type of set up. It goes without saying that they need some form of housing / shelter / shade.

The piglets in the photo supposedly purchased for 500 baht apiece are a sad looking bunch; runty & full of worms, despite of their lack of quality, I can't imagine even a complete moron selling for that price under the present climate.

I think fruity has a good eye for porkers on the hoof. The one in back would qualify as the runt of the litter if these are litter mates. They certainly look like they have been rooted away from the feed trough.