Question About Moving To Los And Marraige

I recently became engaged to a Thai girl who has a great career in the entertainment industry. She doesn't want to leave Thailand because of her status here, so she has asked me to move from the USA and get married soon.

I have a few questoins. The first is that she's under 20, and there is no way her parents will sign anything for her to get married. Is it the law that she must be 20 to do this on her own?

What are my options as far as getting a VISA and staying in Thailand? I have about 4 million baht in savings. Can I go there on a tourist VISA, get married, and then apply for the marraige VISA?

I was planning on trying to get work (at least in the beginiing) as an english teacher, so if we can't get married until she turns 20 next year, is it possible to get a work VISA first?

I've only ever gone to Thailand on the 30 day tourist VISA, so this is very confusing to me. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Sorry to start on a cynical note, but how long have you know this girl and where does she work.

In this country the "entertainment industry" covers a multitude of sins,

and I do mean SINS.

Leaving that aside.

Yes, she must be 20 to marry without her parents' consent.

You could enter in a double entry tourist visa which would allow you about 6 months

with a border hop half way through.

Once you are legally married, see other posts for what you need for that,

you can go to Penang and get a Non Imm O visa based on your marriage.

To extend that "marriage" visa beyond 3 months you will need 400,000 baht

(US$10K) in a Thai bank account,

or a work permit and an income of 40,000 baht (US$1000 per month).

There are jobs teaching English, but they do not pay well and often at an unofficial

level, (no work permit). It is not a route to take lightly.

Good luck.

Edited by astral

Thanks astral.

When I said she works in the "entertainment industry", I mean she's very well known as a fashion model in Thailand. If you are walking around just about anywhere in Bangkok there's a good chance you'll see her photo on some poster, magazine cover, billboard. It's a bit weird for me, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. What are my options if we don't get married right away, and I just want to come to Thailand and work until she's old enough? It seems like alot of guys are there long-term. What's the best strategy if I can't find a job before going there?

Thanks