Closing Threads/topics

grtaylor

I've seen a few threads recently where a topic from something like four years ago suddenly gets resurrected, because the poster hasn't noticed the original date (I've done it myself too!), which results in a long list of messages about something which is no longer relevant. Also, I've asked questions in a thread, and got the answers I need, so the thread is no longer necessary.

So, two suggestions:

• Automatic closure of a thread after a certain length of time (one year? two years?)
  • Allow posters to close their own topics when they no longer feel they need any more answers/comments.

Any thoughts?

G

Edited by grtaylor

Good points, worth considering.

Sometimes, if you do a search using either search engine, you find that the best thread still works. Say termites are swarming, and you need last year's thread. Or you need a CDI for a Kawasaki 250. However, if the thread were closed, you could start a new thread.

We allow the OP to request closure of a thread when it has gone way off topic or he has gotten the info he needed. Such requests are usually granted.

Thanks, G.

Could also be a "bump-ed" thread like I did last week from 3 years ago as it was relevant to this day 25th April many a year ago, as it was then and is today a good thread. :o

Kan Win :D

[*]Allow posters to close their own topics when they no longer feel they need any more answers/comments.

I am not sure I always agree with this, why should a poster have a thread closed just because he has lost interest in it?

Others may well be contributing pro-actively and yet others still gleaning useful information, just to have it closed because the OP has found his particular answers.

Although I will qualify this, in certain instances there will always be a consideration to closure, for whatever reason.

Moss