Expats: Have You Registered With Your Embassy?

Jingthing

Expats: have you registered with your embassy?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being half Bermudian and half Monegasque but growing up in the UK and France, working primarily in Singapore for an American company but hanging out mostly in Phuket and Bali, it’s difficult to know which Embassy and where I should register. But I’m going to have a think about it.

This reply made me laugh, as it reminded me of a good friend who was working in a rather small, volatile African country a few years ago. With her multiple passports and residency permits she was in a dilemma with who to register with. The social circle being fairly small she got to know at least a few people working for each embassy. Embassy 1, she decided were a bunch of prats and she wouldn't want to be stuck on a helicopter or in an embassy basement with them. Embassy 2 seemed like a nice bunch so she registered there. Then it came to the crunch (there was a coup) and she then discovered that embassy 2 had no evacuation plans at all! She was far too proud to go crawling up to Embassy 1 and admit that she was a passport holder and in need of help. So she contacted another Embassy for which country she had lived for many years and they said they would take responsibility for her if evacuation was necessary, as they already had a number of people of Embassy 2 nationality.

The reason I haven't put the countries is I can't remember exactly what passports she holds, but if memory serves correctly the Canadians baled her out.

So have fun choosing :o

When each US consulate handled the registration I would register. But a few years ago the US went to a central system (link is a post above). I have never bothered. We have a "warden" assigned for our office, he makes sure we get all the notices.

Here is the last one they sent:

Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 1:14 PM

To: Bangkok ACS

Subject: Warden message - Olympic Torch Relay in Bangkok

Warden Message – April 18, 2008

The American Embassy in Thailand advises American citizens in Bangkok to exercise caution with respect to the upcoming Olympic torch relay in Bangkok, which will result in the closure of numerous streets, leading to transportation disruptions. Protests can escalate with little warning, disrupting transportation systems and city services and posing risks to travelers' personal safety. American citizens should also monitor news reports regarding the location of any disturbances that may occur.

On Saturday, April 19, 2008, the Olympic torch relay will take place in Bangkok. Several organizations have announced they are planning protests on April 19, 2008 to coincide with the Olympic torch relay. The relay is scheduled to start in the afternoon and run for approximately two hours and 45 minutes. It will begin in Bangkok's Chinatown and end at the Royal Plaza.

Following reports that foreign activists intend to join the activities, local officials have threatened to deport foreign activists who participate in protests. Several thousand police officers will guard the torch route that runs for approximately 10 km (about 6 miles). Officials have stated that despite the heavy security, plans are in place to re-route or shorten the relay should protests get out of hand.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Public Announcements, and Travel Warnings can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m/ Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Americans living or traveling in Thailand are encouraged to register and update their contact information at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. Registration may be done on line, and can be done in advance of travel. Information on registering can be found at the Department of State's Consular Affairs website: https://travelregistration.state.gov. The consular section of the U.S. Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok; The U.S. mailing address is APO, AP 96546-0001. The central switchboard number is (66-2) 205-4000; The American Citizens Services Unit number is (66-2) 205-4049; and the fax number is (66-2) 205-4103. The website for the U.S. Embassy is http://bangkok.usembassy.gov. . Questions regarding American Citizens Services can be submitted by e-mail to [email protected]. The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road; The U.S. mailing address is Box C, APO, AP 96546. The telephone number is (66-53) 252-629 and the fax number is (66-53) 252-633.

Edited by thaihome

I've registered with my embassy (France). It makes my life easier (renewal of passeport, ID card). It's also much easier for my GF to get a visa.

Concur, I'm registered at my embassy (Belgium) and that makes living in Thailand just a little bit more easy on certain aspects of the legal requirements of staying here.

And furthermore, why would I forsake willingly some of the rights I have as a citizen of my country?

cheers

Just tried to register with the British embassy but the online registration system is down at the moment :o

You never know, it could come in handy when we have the next coup and they have to airlift us to safety by helicopter from the embassy roof :D

I laughed at that image of the helicopter on the roof, until I remembered interviewing one of the US Marines who proved he was there that day - April 30, 1975. Mothers were handing him their babies, knowing they would never see their children again. Not humorous.

Fair comment PeaceBlondie - Apologies all round

The British embassy internet registration link has not been working since November last year. Obviously run by the same folks that mess up everything else computer wise in Britain.

I tried to register by phone, which involved talking to a Thai lass who didn't understand my accent(!) I then did it by letter, as I understood wrongly at the time, that I needed to be registered, in order to get my paperwork completed for retiring here. They did send me an email every week or so, with the same stuff on it.... though I've not had one for a while. If you've nothing to hide, why not? If you've something to hide why register? :o

G&T anyone? Sooper!

So have you registered with your embassy?

I plan to do so, but I am a procrastinator.

Can't stand the current U.S. government, am happy I no longer give them a dime in tax.

They know where I am, they have my passport info, comings and goings, if absolutely necessary and they have to find me they will.

I feel better with at least a little bit of transparency, they have my work address but I do not give out my residence.

I'm registered ... good thing as well, I needed some papers recently and because I was registered it was done very fast with no hazzle, if I wasn't registered I had to get the papers from my home country ...

I don't care about them etc., but I do care about getting things done easily ...

:o No, I've never registered and don't intend to.

As an American citizen I've had experience with the American consulate/embessy many times. I've found them to be basically rude and unhealthful to American citizens. The only time they seem to care about you is when it somehow benefits them, they are not concerned about your problems. If you are an American citizen, and you are robbed of all your money, passport, etc. you shouldn't expect any help from the embessy.

So, if the case is they don't help you, it's best just to ignore them. Take care of your own problems. You won't get much sympathy from the consulate anyhow.

You know what they say, sympathy can be found in the dictionary between s##t and syphilis.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Yep, it's easy to do with the U.S. Embassy. I registered myself and my wife on-line and I get bulletins via e-mail on occasion. Part of it is just in case something bad happens I can be reached. And the other is so that the Veteran's Administration and Social Security know where I am and not screw with my pension checks.

I don't see any reason not to unless you have something to hide from.

I will register and will do my son at the same time. just waiting for a copy of my birth certificate first which I need to register my son. pretty good because you can do the whole lot online.

Why would I want to do that in this digital age? If they wanted to find me that badly, it would have to be something bad..... :o

Exactly.

Everyone who I want let know already knows where I am and I am not exactly hard to find. Now if the premium bnd man comes knocking with another million (joking) then my address is .........

I registered with the Canadian Embassy a couple years ago, never heard squat from them, not even an acknowledgment of the registration. Guess if they can't be bothered with me, I can't be bothered with them (anymore).

Agreed Kerryd- they suck. I can't be bothered to go and sit there for a couple of hours and deal with the wonderfully friendly and efficient people behind the bulletproof glass in the Abdulrahim Building.

I am French. When one is registered at the Embassy, everything is easier, faster and often cheaper (e.g. new passport, ID card). It takes only 15 minutes to register. Valid 5 years.

No reason not to do it, for the French.

I registered several years ago and have not bothered to re-register. They have local area 'wardens' I think, but I am not sure what a warden would do (in the USA, they manage prisons!). What disaster might they warn me about, that I would not already have read and commented on, here on ThaiVisa? If there is a military overthrow of the existing govt., I doubt the American embassy would help. Nothing like the German consul at Nanking during the massive gang-rape by the Japanese, 1938-39.

The only American consulate is in Chiang Mai, a nine hour bus ride from the embassy in BKK. It's a real consulate general, staffed by diplomatic professionals.

I was working in Iran when Jimmy (idiot) Carter convinced the Shah to leave. Our military people were evacuated. The rest of us (US citizens) were left to fend for ourselves. I was lucky to leave the day after the Shah left. The unlucky ones became hostages.

Edited by rijb

From the embassy side if you are registered it makes their life much easier in case you die, have an accident etc.

Don't expect them to keep in contact with you or be of general help but the embassy can be very useful on the serious side of life.

I will register but I am always put of by the Brit govt. incompetence including the Thai staff in the Em. who don't understand English and lie... I read enviously all the positive stories about other govt.s looking after there own people, but not the British, but I shall register as it might speed up various 'things'

I'm not registered in Thailand, but I have been in other countries. I suspect it is more for the gvmt's convenience than ours, but ideally it would make liasoning with you if you are incarcerated or traveling/living abroad alone. If you don't keep relatives abreast of your location or travel plans, then registering is probably a good idea. I always lodge my itinerary with relatives and work admin assts in case I come up missing or there is a transportation "mishap". This worked well when I was in Phuket during the tsunami, and flying 12GO when it crashed (I was on a different flight). During the tsunami, my relatives contacted the State Dept, but didn't get very far.

My only embassy "need" was when I was in China during the riots resulting from the US bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade. The consulate was torched and mobs were banging on our housing compound gate. The consulate did absolutely nothing to advise on recommended action, facilitate our evacuation, or otherwise check-in on our safety or whereabouts.

Bottomline, registering depends on your circumstances -- if you are solo, if you have a need for their other services (adoption/greencard, etc), if you travel alot, and if you keep others up-to-date on your movements, IRS excepted ;-)

I registered online with the central US site a few years ago and have never received any online advisories or acknowledgement of any kind. Have to agree with other posts that embassies/consulates are there to promote the country's interests, not extend help of any kind to expat citizens...

I also subscribe to the occasionally updated online information bulletins from the US state dept. for LOS and several other nearby countries of interest and find them only marginally useful as well...

In this day and age, with computer link up, I would imagine that nobody has to inform their Embassies. All international money transfers go via the US intelligence first . So what's the point ? I told the Tax people in the UK I was leaving , that should be enough.

In this day and age, with computer link up, I would imagine that nobody has to inform their Embassies. All international money transfers go via the US intelligence first . So what's the point ? I told the Tax people in the UK I was leaving , that should be enough.

Knowing the Orwellian attitude of the British goverment these days....I would guess if you apply for a new passport in BKK and put down a Thailand address...you will be "registered" with the embassy whether you like it or not in some database...Big Brother is Watching...

Just imagine if the morons in the UK goverment manage to get this ID card program off the ground.....

• 3 weeks later...
From the embassy side if you are registered it makes their life much easier in case you die, have an accident etc.

Don't expect them to keep in contact with you or be of general help but the embassy can be very useful on the serious side of life.

Well I wont give a Sh..t when I die, just like they dont give a Damm when Im living

I'm Belgian, and for us it is required if we do not keep on a registered address in our home country (actually we are required to register with an embassy or consulate within 90 days of canceling our Belgian address).

Additionally, For Belgian nationals it is only the city where they are registered which is able to issue a passport. If one is not registered at the embassy, the embassy will generally only give you a temporary passport with a validity of 6 months.

Not sure this still the same today, but I think it used to be for Belgian nationals to become stateless if not registered anywhere for a certain amount of time (6 years ig I recall correctly).

This would give a heap of problems if trying to get a new passport!

Just a thought -

If you are a UK citizen under 65, and you are intending to claim the UK pension but you have not 'earned' enough pension credits for a full pension (ie-40 years worth) - the government will give you 1 year of credits for each of the last 5 years (ie- between the ages of 60 and 65) regardless of whether you are working or paying National Insurance contributions.

This could make quite a difference to your pension income.

The reason I mention this is that the government do not give the 5 years free credits if you are residing outside the EC - regardless of whether you are still paying UK income tax on your earnings or private pension.

I do know that some ex-pats keep a UK address and intend to claim the free credits.

I wonder whether British Embassies exchange information with other govt. agencies.

Yes - The Australian government have a pretty good online system to register through DFAT I think. They do a good job for what it is. During the Tsunami they rang my next of Kin (parents down in OZ) to see if I was OK when they couldn't get in contact with me.

May come in handy at a later point....

THat's really good, well done aus.

i've got dual nationality and it has to be said that th aussies are a lot better organised than the brits, as if any of this really matters.

Edited by Jandajoy

Just a thought -

If you are a UK citizen under 65, and you are intending to claim the UK pension but you have not 'earned' enough pension credits for a full pension (ie-40 years worth) - the government will give you 1 year of credits for each of the last 5 years (ie- between the ages of 60 and 65) regardless of whether you are working or paying National Insurance contributions.

This could make quite a difference to your pension income.

The reason I mention this is that the government do not give the 5 years free credits if you are residing outside the EC - regardless of whether you are still paying UK income tax on your earnings or private pension.

I do know that some ex-pats keep a UK address and intend to claim the free credits.

I wonder whether British Embassies exchange information with other govt. agencies.

Another reason to maintain a UK address and appear on the Electoral Roll is that you will get annual uplifts of the amount of your pension payment. If you declare that you live in one of many countries your pension will be frozen as of the declared date of leaving. Thailand is one of those countries whereas Spain is not. Go figure. It should go without saying that this subterfuge is tantamount to fraud but the chances of prosecution or a claim for the return of monies is negligible.

My understanding is that when you curl your toes up, the Brit Consulate is informed and this information is passed to the UK Government. However I know of one Thai lady whose husband died about 4 years ago who told me she is still in receipt of his Retirement Pension via his UK bank.