Never Invest In Thailand More Than You Can Afford To Lose

AFKAFSinLOS

Risks of Investing or Not in Thailand  

247 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Investing in Thailand is quite easy, you need to know what to invest in. Im currently investing in a project with the father inlaw and its paid off very very well over the last 2 years. His large business has low overheads with alot of profit.

In Thailand you need to know people, its what you know and who you know. My father inlaw is one of the hardest workers I know, works 7 days a week, had nothing when he was yound and now has a very sucessful business that has grown very rapidly.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 0.00002 cents worth.

All money I have in Thailand is considered lost. I would bring no substantial money into this country, and I would not invest here for any reason.

I've lived here for five years (at times working with SMT's of the largest Thai companies), before which I did International business development for 10 years. In that time I dealt with over 40 countries and only stopped doing business with two; Korea and Thailand.

I have nothing positive to say about the business people, or the business environment, of this totally corrupt, under-skilled, egocentric and prejudiced business community.

If others have other experiences then goodluck to them. :o

Thailand is a gold mine if you do things right.

All you need are just money and the right connection.

Personally, I'd say that in every investment, never invest if you cannot afford to lose more than what you invested.

My 0.00002 cents worth.

All money I have in Thailand is considered lost. I would bring no substantial money into this country, and I would not invest here for any reason.

I've lived here for five years (at times working with SMT's of the largest Thai companies), before which I did International business development for 10 years. In that time I dealt with over 40 countries and only stopped doing business with two; Korea and Thailand.

I have nothing positive to say about the business people, or the business environment, of this totally corrupt, under-skilled, egocentric and prejudiced business community.

Interesting post. What would you consider substantial as a numeric figure?

My 0.00002 cents worth.

Who knows Zorro? For everyone it would be a different figure. I'm not too proud to say that, nowadays, substantial to me might be a much lower figure than other members consider 'substantial'.

With regard to business; I managed a few tens of thousands of pounds (certainly not substantial in the business World, but being part of my budget I considered it a not insubstantial waste) in this market before putting resouces elsewhere. I was forced into the market for historic reasons, I certainly would not have chosen to move into it.

Personally; I'd consider substantial to mean more than a few thousand pounds. My apartment in Bangkok cost 340,000 (baht!). I've lived in it for a couple of years and if I lose it when I leave I couldn't care less, as it has paid for itself rentwise. Like I said, I consider any money I have in this country (bank, pocket, apartment...) to be lost. Actually, I consider my time to be the most precious lost entity - currently needs must, which I hope will change within the next few months...

My 0.00002 cents worth.

Who knows Zorro? For everyone it would be a different figure. I'm not too proud to say that, nowadays, substantial to me might be a much lower figure than other members consider 'substantial'.

With regard to business; I managed a few tens of thousands of pounds (certainly not substantial in the business World, but being part of my budget I considered it a not insubstantial waste) in this market before putting resouces elsewhere. I was forced into the market for historic reasons, I certainly would not have chosen to move into it.

Personally; I'd consider substantial to mean more than a few thousand pounds. My apartment in Bangkok cost 340,000 (baht!). I've lived in it for a couple of years and if I lose it when I leave I couldn't care less, as it has paid for itself rentwise. Like I said, I consider any money I have in this country (bank, pocket, apartment...) to be lost. Actually, I consider my time to be the most precious lost entity - currently needs must, which I hope will change within the next few months...

I also own an apartment and that one statement is thrown about a fair bit here and I have asked before without a response so I will ask again. How would you lose it? Apart from an earthquake or a sink hole, How could you possibly lose your property?

IMO often you don't need either. Hard work and a little luck will suffice (just like anywhere else in the world) more often than not. I think one of the main issues is that too many people set unrealistic expectations when investing here. They think that competing with the locals will be easy. It's easy to convince yourself that you are or are going to be "once I get my hands on the Thai market" a better businessman than you really are.

Another issue is that people often make poor choices in partners (whether as a spouse or business partner) and when that arrangement and all ventures associated with it go south, the tendency is to blame the "country" instead of the particular characters involved, oneself included.

:o

If you start the business like a gambler and manage it likes a clown. You won’t make it, doesn’t matter in Thailand or back in your own country or anywhere else. You can’t blame Thailand or its people for your own bad judgments.

This applies not only to doing the business but to the marriage w/ a local lady as well.

Personally, I'd say that in every investment, never invest if you cannot afford to lose more than what you invested.

Unless you intend to work at paid employment for your entire life, sooner or later you are going to be relying on income from investments to be able to live.

There is no such thing as a 100%, totally guaranteed investment. However, by spreading your assets astutely, it is possible to reduce risk to virtually zero. The only way that my investments will be wiped out is if the capitalist world as we know it were to end. I am willing to take that risk.

Leaving your money under the mattress might be okay for some, but not for me. :o

I don't like to post negative comments about Thailand, but on this one ...

I do business with countries all over the world. They are classified in three categories : "yes", "no go" and "uncomfortable". Unfortunately, Thailand belongs to the third one.

I think the law is slowly improving but for the mentality of the people, it will take a bit longer.

My 0.00002 cents worth.

I also own an apartment and that one statement is thrown about a fair bit here and I have asked before without a response so I will ask again. How would you lose it? Apart from an earthquake or a sink hole, How could you possibly lose your property?

It sounds like you are trying to start an argument for the arguments sake alone. None the less I'll answer honestly:-

In my case I'm talking about 'losing' it to my girlfriend of the last few years. This is different from when I lived in the UK in so much as I'd sell the property and split it with my partner. Here, as most people know, but many deny, Thais go berserk over land / property grabs, turning into lying, cheating, irrational monsters. They do this within their own group of family / friends / kin - the fact that I'm a foreigner is not relevant to this particular insanity. Personally I'd rather avoid such unpleasantness (with potential violence on their part), and just leave quietly, thus 'losing' the apartment I paid for. As I said; I consider all money here to be 'lost'.

In the UK, or elsewhere, I'd consider property to be an investment. I consider nothing in Thailand as an investment. Again, this is my personal opinion and reflects my thoughts towards the country / people.

My 0.00002 cents worth.

If others have other experiences then goodluck to them. :D

It sounds like you are trying to start an argument for the arguments sake alone. None the less I'll answer honestly:-

In my case I'm talking about 'losing' it to my girlfriend of the last few years. This is different from when I lived in the UK in so much as I'd sell the property and split it with my partner. Here, as most people know, but many deny, Thais go berserk over land / property grabs, turning into lying, cheating, irrational monsters. They do this within their own group of family / friends / kin - the fact that I'm a foreigner is not relevant to this particular insanity. Personally I'd rather avoid such unpleasantness (with potential violence on their part), and just leave quietly, thus 'losing' the apartment I paid for. As I said; I consider all money here to be 'lost'.

In the UK, or elsewhere, I'd consider property to be an investment. I consider nothing in Thailand as an investment. Again, this is my personal opinion and reflects my thoughts towards the country / people.

Really? You would hand over your condo to your ex girlfriend and then leave the country? Well as they say there is one born every minute.. So my question still stands then, How Could anyone lose their Condo as an Investment in Thailand? (please no bar girl stories :o )

Really? You would hand over your condo to your ex girlfriend and then leave the country? Well as they say there is one born every minute.. So my question still stands then, How Could anyone lose their Condo as an Investment in Thailand? (please no bar girl stories :o )

Being rude for the sake of it shows nothing other than your ignorance.

All buildings need to be maintained. Do you live in a building which has a good maintenance plan, to which all of the owners contribute enough money regularly so that maintenance can be carried out properly?

I would have huge concerns about owning an apartment in Thailand, depending on your time-frame, poorly maintained buildings will eventually fall down, or at least deteriorate to the point where nobody would want to own or even to rent in them.

Just for reference, my wife and I now live in an apartment building on the Gold Coast in Queensland. We are currently paying about $AUD 2000 per quarter in management and maintenance fees. This includes a temporary levy of about $AUD 600 per quarter for a full refurbishment of the lifts in the building.

We also pay another $AUD 1600 in council rates as well.

The total per annum outlay at the moment is close to $AUD 10,000. However, this amount of money is well spent, it includes insurance for the building and all the exterior maintenance, and of course the council rates look after the local area infrastructure, roads, bridges, and lighting etc etc. Plus on-site management, full perimeter security plus security patrols overnight, water, sewerage, garbage pick-up etc etc.

I lived in Hong Kong for some years, and I can assure you that older apartment buildings that are not properly maintained can, and do, fall into disuse.

Edited by wamberal

Most people have focused on the financial aspects... :o Personally for me I think life is never so black and white, and rarely think the word "never" actually fits, as there are usually always exceptions.

For further thought:

People who say never invest more than you can afford to lose anywhere, perhaps need to think a little further. If you take the UK or US, for the majority of people their biggest monetary asset is their house. Could they afford to lose their house and receive nothing in return? Probably not... :D The retired are a particular category for this. In US and UK they often average over 75% of their assets tied up in property. For those not retired, it can be similar for gross assets; and measuring net assets (property minus loan) has its own problems. Could they afford to lose their house and still pay the mortgage? If not then bankruptcy beckons...

Could it happen that people lose their fully paid up house without anything in return or compensation? Perhaps unlikely for the majority, but the key point is it is a possibility for the majority, however remote. Hence many people the world over have already actually invested more than they can afford to lose. They just don't realise it...as they consider it so low risk :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

All buildings need to be maintained. Do you live in a building which has a good maintenance plan, to which all of the owners contribute enough money regularly so that maintenance can be carried out properly?

I would have huge concerns about owning an apartment in Thailand, depending on your time-frame, poorly maintained buildings will eventually fall down, or at least deteriorate to the point where nobody would want to own or even to rent in them.

Just for reference, my wife and I now live in an apartment building on the Gold Coast in Queensland. We are currently paying about $AUD 2000 per quarter in management and maintenance fees. This includes a temporary levy of about $AUD 600 per quarter for a full refurbishment of the lifts in the building.

We also pay another $AUD 1600 in council rates as well.

The total per annum outlay at the moment is close to $AUD 10,000. However, this amount of money is well spent, it includes insurance for the building and all the exterior maintenance, and of course the council rates look after the local area infrastructure, roads, bridges, and lighting etc etc. Plus on-site management, full perimeter security plus security patrols overnight, water, sewerage, garbage pick-up etc etc.

I lived in Hong Kong for some years, and I can assure you that older apartment buildings that are not properly maintained can, and do, fall into disuse.

Nice to meet another Gold Coaster I spent 12 years there one of the nicest places on this earth. My place is new with around a third of your outlay which I don't really see as relevant as the topic is don't invest more than you can walk away from and per/annum fees are not really an investment in the true sence. Seriously though a building "falling down"?

BEENTHEREDONETHAT I agree with you, so far we have the g/f taking it and buildings falling down :o

Interesting conversation, fascinating to see such diverse thought processes.

As one of the strongest proponents of the RULE... Never invest more in Thailand than you can walk away from. I feel called on to justify that position.

First, let me be very clear, its not really my position or something I came up with. In a past life, I used to be hired to go in a fix sick companies. Early on, it becomes pretty apparent that the transition from a healthy vibrant company into a sick company has to do with management. Duh.... So if you are under a gun, which we were, you go back to the last management that worked and LISTEN carefully. Successful old timers know the ropes, they know the market, they know how to make it work. They can also see easily and clearly what went wrong. They are not always right, or even clear, but with a little patience you can get a huge jump in the experience factor and reduce mistakes out of the gate.

So when I came to Thailand as a raw newbie, the old habit of learning the traps and tricks quickly caused me to search out old timers here. Honestly, anyone with less than ten years here and not completely fluent in Thai is not worth listening to, at best confusing, at worst plain wrong. One of the things that I heard from them over and over is "NEVER INVEST MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO WALK AWAY FROM". Almost every one of them let slip that jewel during my education.

It surprised me, like some here I wanted to argue with the premise. Over the years, I began to understand what they are alluding to. It has nothing to do with "investing in a condo" or "investing in a gogo bar" and everything to do with the rule of law and our status here. Our legal protections, our ability to protect ourselves and our interests.

There is the heart of the issue. Not only an investment of money, the investment of our time effort and heart.

Why? Over the years I have come to believe that there is no real rule of law here. No protection other than money and connections. No one goes to the police or courts for help or justice, if they do then they are sadly disappointed. As foreigners, we have even less protection than the Thais who enjoy slightly less than no protection.

There are a million examples, every day, every hour. If you want a few I remember off the top of my head there is poor Bill Monson who funded Thaksins first cellphone business and provided the equipment. After Thaksin simply stiffed him he tried for decades to bring the case to court. Poor Bill never got his day, Thaksin never showed up and the court refused to hear the case without a defendant. Last year the statute of limitations ran out and our multimillionaire buddy learned the RULE the hard way.

Or the poor monk that bought the land in front of his temple for 10 million baht only to find out the lady who managed it and the Land Department employees (her daughter) who gave him the clear deed docs were bogus.

We could go on with these horror stories for months. Is it us? No, none of the erudite posters on Thaivisa. But..... Think about investing in any third world country without the rule of law. With no protections, theft and fraud rule the day. Would you invest in Nigeria? No, why not? Then why would Thailand be any safer? Because the generals have nicer uniforms?

No, as westerners we assume rights and protections that don't exist anywhere except in the west and a few countries that got the hang of it. That assumption is deadly and can culminate on a high balcony in Pattaya if we are not forewarned.

The beauty of the RULE is that it fits all of us. Those with money to smoke are fully justified in investing whatever they want, and a few are very successful in that endeavor. If I were to guess, the probabilities are that fewer are successful here than in their home country where they know all the rules and have the contacts, but thats just a guess.

I think (now) that common sense should tell us to be careful. Its a different culture, a different way of doing things. At best we are a guest here at the whim of bureaucrat somewhere. That could change momentarily as most things here do, and seldom for the better.

In my way of thinking, these style of boards are for the dissemination of experience and practical wisdom. People here have helped me do everything from get a drivers license to importing motorcycles on a pretty large scale. The least we can do is pass some of our experience on to newbies reading this board. Would anyone here with good conscience tell the new immigrant to bring and invest everything here. I doubt it. At best we might tell them Jai Yen, get the lay of the land, learn your limitations before burning bridges. To do otherwise is in my opinion highly disingenuous.

I believe it is a RULE, and it applies to any place that is ruled with corruption or brute force. I have a tendency to lose in those battles when faced with those parameters, I think most of the people reading this are in the same boat. So, Russia or Nigeria, Indonesia or Thailand, China or Saudi Arabia, that rule helps us remember that we are not natives and without even the most basic of rights and legal protection. We are instead at the mercy of a chaotic and violent society and should act with extreme diligence. Its still a lovely place to live, just be extra aware and vigilant because even the simplest assumptions can cause us great distress (such as looking left when stepping off a curb).

Argue all you want, hide from the reality if it makes your world more comfortable, but dont do a disservice to those naive and fresh off the boat.

Nice to meet another Gold Coaster I spent 12 years there one of the nicest places on this earth. My place is new with around a third of your outlay which I don't really see as relevant as the topic is don't invest more than you can walk away from and per/annum fees are not really an investment in the true sence. Seriously though a building "falling down"?

BEENTHEREDONETHAT I agree with you, so far we have the g/f taking it and buildings falling down :o

Zorro,

There was a big story in the papers a few days ago which described what would happen to the planet if humanity were to be wiped out tomorrow. The gist of the article was that all signs of human habitation would disappear, some pretty quickly, some taking hundreds of years.

I am not a building engineer, but I am sure that all big high-rise buildings need proper professional maintenance. One of the problems with the condominium concept is that all the owners have to buy into paying for continuing maintenance, and I know that there have been examples in Bangkok where some owners, just refuse to contribute to the maintenance of the building.

I would not buy a high-rise condominium in any country which did not have strong enforceable laws which require all owners to contribute financially to the on-going maintenance of the building. Maybe Thailand has those laws now, but if not, caveat emptor.

As for buildings falling down, have a think about concrete cancer.

The Gold Coast has changed a lot over the years, most of the population seems to be driving Benzes and Beamers these days.!!!!!!

Stick with AP or Land and Houses condo complexes that are 6-8 stories high, there are plenty of them, and yes -so far anyway- they are maintained long after they are sold out (at least mine are, and that particular complex sold out a decade ago).

How to loose a condo?

Google "Highland Towers Malaysia" and see.

J.

Well I don't live in Malaysia so no need to google. I have a lovely view from my place of the BKK skyline and I will report back here immediately as soon as a building falls down, unless of course it happens to be mine :o

Edited by zorro1

I don't want to belabour the point (perhaps I already am), but there have been cases of quite new buildings falling down because of faults in design and/or construction.

A big department store in South Korea fell down because of overloading on one floor.

Yes I agree some buildings in Thailand are in deplorable state due to the lack of maintenance. But this is avoidable with reasonable care in your selection.

Make sure that there is an adequate sinking fund before you buy.

Look at the structure or have an engineer look at it for you and determine the condition.

Insure that the condo association and Juristic person are controlled by the condo owners.

Talk to the management and see if it is someone you could deal with for future problems.

If you do these things and participate in the meetings there is no reason for the building to fall over. We have done these things and so far we are very happy with the way things are going. In my opinion the building is looking better now than it did when we moved in in Oct. They are scheduled for a complete paint job of the building exterior and the common area to start next month. Being LOS we expect some slippage on the start date. That still leaves in excess of 10 million in the sinking fund when it is done.

So you can rent and not worry about these things or you can purchase in your name and fix the condo up to your liking and not worry about tax or rent increases. Should have mentioned to make sure the Maint. fee is reasonable. Ours is 21Bhat m2. Management adds nothing to our electric or water bill.

This is no different than any other country. You do have to use common sense and not buy without checking things out. Also might suggest you put it in your own name not your GF. Make sure your purchase will fall into the 49% foreign owned portion and make sure you get the Chanote when you pay for it.

If you are worried about the government collapsing, global warming and earthquakes I'm not sure where you should live.

Good luck in whatever you do.

As the statement is so broad it covers any investment in Thailand what so ever. My previous post outlined where I stand, but I thought I'd toss a couple more thoughts in. That statement really means no home (condo) ownership, no personal quality furniture or high end electronics, no car, and certainly no business. Why would anyone even stay here in that mindset, it must be like living on a fault line, already prepared to run for it and just waiting for the big one. :o

There is no security in Thailand, you can be kicked out at any time. No doubt true particularly if you have a dodgy lifestyle, but how many times in Thailands history have they expelled all foreigners? How have the Chinese and Indians stayed and prospered?

I would be curious to know who out there have lost the bundle on either a condo or a car through any other cause than their own stupidity? Bare in mind for many the cost of a car is not something they can afford to lose, it is all relative. Please cite the dangers and the reasons you were robbed of your possessions so we can avoid same.

Many people even do buy houses, either with 30 leases etc or loan agreements setup. How many of those with precautions in place have also lost it all? Forget the dual bank accounts or divorces as it is usual to get done over in those cases anywhere anyway.

The statement should really read "Never invest in Thailand more than you can afford to lose, if you plan to marry a totally unsuitable wife and do as she asks or plan to open a business lacking in any skills to operate it."

It is true many condos are poorly maintained and completely mismanaged. If wanting to buy definitely choose one that isn't.

"Never invest in Thailand more than you can afford to lose, if you plan to marry a totally unsuitable wife and do as she asks or plan to open a business lacking in any skills to operate it."

Should be pinned to the top of the forum, right under the Asian Friend Finders link.

"Never invest in Thailand more than you can afford to lose, if you plan to marry a totally unsuitable wife and do as she asks or plan to open a business lacking in any skills to operate it."

Should be pinned to the top of the forum, right under the Asian Friend Finders link.

Heng why is it that every time I go to post my reply your in front of me with my response, that's twice today :D . I agree 100%

I think it may be the speed of my state of the art desktop with 750 megahertz AMD Athlon processor? That and I took touch typing in 6th grade.

Edited by Heng