Ball Park Figure On Tuk Tuk Prices In Patong

dalmatian

As a longtime Pattaya resident but a short-time Phuket tourist I just want to find out what the rough hagling price would be for a tuk tuk around Patong.. Example journeys would be Mercure Patong Beach to Amari Coral Reef and Bangla back to Mercure Patong beach. The Mercure is off Ruamchai road on 200 Pee road. Any info would be gratefully received.

I hear that metered taxis are a no no in Patong so the choice is a tuk tuk I suppose!

Do you like a drink ?

Are you an arguementative type ?

Do you hate being ripped off ?

If you answered yes to one or more of the above then forget Tuk Tuk's in Phuket.

Naka.

I agree, try to avoid them, but if you want to go from one side of Patong to the other side, what alternatives are available?

I think a tuktuk from one side of Patong to the other side will be 150 or 200 Baht.

From what you say it sounds like I would need to be taking a sturdy pair of shoes with me. Don't know about the wife with the high heels, maybe I can attach some rollerblades.

It is such a pity that these guys can rip you off. Everybody in Pattaya complains about the baht taxis but basically, with the routes served, you can get to anywhere you want for about 10 baht a person. Ok a special will cost 150/200 but that would be for about a 15 min journey to the door of your house and for upto about 14 people.

Sounds like the tuk tuk drivers have had it all their own way for too long, sad that the mayor, governor can't do anything that would enhance a better view of transport in and around Patong. Well, will have to use the tuk tuks only in emergency but will negotiate first and make sure my wallet well out of harms way. Alternatively the idea of hiring a motorbike becomes more interesting, certainly more economical.

Yeah, forget the Tuk Tuk mafia. They'll never learn as their are enough Tourists who don't know better to keep them in business.

It's the low season now, so let's hope some of them go bankrupt.

There are some private taxis around, I've used them in the past to go shopping at JungCeylon. Suspect they are actually just blokes with cars moonlighting as they don't have meters or signage.

Take a motocy taxi or two if you're with the missus. Much more fun too :o

The only form of a cheap ride in Patong would be to get a motorbike taxi can take you both on the bike. post-59607-1210000851.gif not such a good idea if you have had too many drinks.post-59607-1210000795.gif

Ted.

Edited by Redted

Assuming your capable, best option in terms of price and availability is renting a MB for the duration of your stay. Now that we're in low season you should be able to negotiate for around 150THB/day.

If that's not an option, the tuk tuk prices are firmly grounded at around a minimum of 150THB for short journeys within Patong and 200THB for anywhere within Patong (IOW one end to the other).

250THB from Bangla to Safari (on the hill towards Karon)

300-350THB to Karon Beach

400THB from Patong to anywhere in Kata

350-400THB to Kamala

MB taxis will be cheaper than tuk tuks but OBV more adventurous. They like to play the "how much you want to pay?" game here. My advice is NOT to pay more than 40THB/person for any journey from one spot to another within Patong. (The Thais pay around 20-30THB/person for one end to another Patong MB taxi journeys)

Because fo the dangerous nature of the hills on any of the 3 ways out of Patong (Patong hill to Khatu, Hill towards Karon, or Hill towards Kamala) I would deffo reccomend NOT taking MB taxis from Patong to another area.