Cassava Questions For Khonwan And Anybody Else?

Khonwan, From your posts and talking to the assistant to the president at Rajamagala University of Technology Isan, Kalasin Campus, and other sources, I am convinced that cassava is the crop to grow on my well drained PH 5.5 11 rai. I do not speak Thai and thus need my wife’s help in planting the cassava and organizing everything. Because people who planted cassava in our area at previous times, when cassava was going for 600 baht a tone, my wife has not been that interested in planting it. Lately she is showing some interest, but needs a lot more prodding. I have a couple of questions for you. 1/ is it still the right time of year to plant or is it to late? 2/ I understand that Ranong 90 is the cassava with the highest yield, is this correct and where would I buy it? My wife seems to think we have to go to Korat to get it, but I think there must be some place closer. 3/ How should I plant it, I know you have posted before how to do this, but maybe you could some it up in easy steps for the non farmer who is trying to tell his farmer wife(who knows everything) how to do it. Thanks a lot. Issangeorge.

Khonwan, From your posts and talking to the assistant to the president at Rajamagala University of Technology Isan, Kalasin Campus, and other sources, I am convinced that cassava is the crop to grow on my well drained PH 5.5 11 rai. I do not speak Thai and thus need my wife’s help in planting the cassava and organizing everything. Because people who planted cassava in our area at previous times, when cassava was going for 600 baht a tone, my wife has not been that interested in planting it. Lately she is showing some interest, but needs a lot more prodding. I have a couple of questions for you. 1/ is it still the right time of year to plant or is it to late? 2/ I understand that Ranong 90 is the cassava with the highest yield, is this correct and where would I buy it? My wife seems to think we have to go to Korat to get it, but I think there must be some place closer. 3/ How should I plant it, I know you have posted before how to do this, but maybe you could some it up in easy steps for the non farmer who is trying to tell his farmer wife(who knows everything) how to do it. Thanks a lot. Issangeorge.

Isan/g while you are waiting fo reply just scroll down to search topic and put in cassava fertilizer or planting it will tell what u want

i asked khonwan almost the same Q [PM him]and he gave me good info,and he told me to read the threads which enlighten me more on the good and the bad,i have aleady planted my 1st crop, and maizefarme has a very good post there as well.

cat

Isan/g while you are waiting fo reply just scroll down to search topic and put in cassava fertilizer or planting it will tell what u want

i asked khonwan almost the same Q [PM him]and he gave me good info,and he told me to read the threads which enlighten me more on the good and the bad,i have aleady planted my 1st crop, and maizefarme has a very good post there as well.

cat

Isan/g the good info i got was from the thread you started[what to farm]so you know all that.all i can say is if they dont like the risk.or doing the work [family] it might not be worth it,maybe try mazie a quicker return,,,my wifes family are into cassava and maize,she talked me into it [as they do]and i am happy she did.

we planted ranong 50, i just found out,and we paid 400baht a bunch of 1000 stalks,but we had to take the ute and truck on the land they just dug up and collect it ourselves, thats why so cheap,otherwise the mrs said 1500 to 2500 for a 1000 stalks[long]ours were a bit shorter.

we are now going to get the weeds out after 5 weeks,

my mrs did all the looking around asking farmers,she also went to all the beef and dariy farms looking for the cheap manure,so like i said they have to want to do the had yards or someone else in the family,and we did all the manual work including shovling and spreading the sh--t

but we got labour in at 200 baht a rai to plant,with food and drink.20 rai took just ove 2 days a family of 8 young and old.you can pay each person by the day norm 150 baht,but they wanted per rai.

I have learnt alot this yr and am hooked,but as the threads say there is always something to buy or do.

cat

hope that helps

if you pay someone to do eveything a lot of you profit goes

Perhaps Khonwan as our resident cassava expert might find time one day to do a paper on growing cassava from soil preparation to harvest which I could Pin at the start of the forum,I am sure this would be invaluable to members looking at getting into this crop and save a lot of repetitious questions.

Perhaps Khonwan as our resident cassava expert might find time one day to do a paper on growing cassava from soil preparation to harvest which I could Pin at the start of the forum,I am sure this would be invaluable to members looking at getting into this crop and save a lot of repetitious questions.

Will do, ozzy. I'm just back from four hours weeding (murder on the back!) but I'll get started shortly.

Rgds

Khonwan

Will do, ozzy. I'm just back from four hours weeding (murder on the back!) but I'll get started shortly.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks for that mate, your a gentleman and a scholar.

I am concreting today and I know exactly how you feel. :o

Hi George

Just to give you a quick answer whilst it’s raining here (I’ll write something more comprehensive a bit later).

1) Yes, you can still plant now – I am too.

2) Rayong 90 reports a very high starch yield most suited to ethanol. I don’t have any yet either; not sure where you would get it. Try your Amphur Ag guy – he should know; may possibly even have some for distribution.

3) For best results, prepare ground with 3-disc plough, then 7-disc, then ridge-raise. Thai recommendation for spacing is 80-100cm x 80-100cm; I follow local practice: 50cm x 95cm. Doesn’t matter much in terms of yield per rai but closer spacing does use more trees, which may matter if you have to pay for them. Most important consideration: keep the weeds right down during the first 3-4 months – cassava is a slow grower initially and can’t compete with weeds at this stage. Fertilise with 50kg 15-7-18 one month after planting and again three months after planting. You can weedkill again just before harvest to make the tuber lifting easier.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks all and Konwan I am looking forward to your full report. Wouldn't you know it just after I posted my first post, my wife said to me "come on we're going to get cassava stems. We had to drive about 100 or so kilometers to get the stems they were 95 baht for a bunch, which seems to be about 30 stems. The pickup truck would only hold 37 bunches so back tomorrow for 37 more. Our first attempt we our planting just over 4 rai and we'll see how it goes. If all goes well next time it will be about 11 rai and what ever amount of extra land I have bought by then. I keep hearing talk about the slow economy and how there is lots of land for sale, but I sure don't see any for sale in my area. Oh the type of cassava we got is Huay Bong. Issangeorge

I have been thinking about the row spacing, from what I have read a lot of people seem to recomend 1 metre by 1 metre spacing, but what about 1.25 to 1.5 metres between the rows and then .65 metres between the plants. This would give you about the same number of plants, but adaquit spave to run a two wheel tractor between the rows, which I think you could use for weading and harvesting, or would it affect the tubors to much for weading? Issangeorge

I have been thinking about the row spacing, from what I have read a lot of people seem to recomend 1 metre by 1 metre spacing, but what about 1.25 to 1.5 metres between the rows and then .65 metres between the plants. This would give you about the same number of plants, but adaquit spave to run a two wheel tractor between the rows, which I think you could use for weading and harvesting, or would it affect the tubors to much for weading? Issangeorge

George,

I do not think you'll enjoy the same yields with a spacing of 1.25-1.5m. Absolutely no need for this anyway - for a large plot of land, one path is quite sufficient for convenient access; a small plot of land doesn't even need this. Most weed-spraying is normally done using motorised knapsack sprayers these days (I just purchased one yesterday: Bt3,600; 25-litres). During harvesting, the root pickers follow in the wake of the tractor as it lifts the tubers. No need for paths as you envision.

Still hoping to put something more comprehensive together in the next few days but I'm really busy just now planting, weeding and fertilising different fields. By the time I get back home I'm usually pretty shattered (it's worth it though - the good life).

Rgds

Khonwan

If you want good yields, I've read that the more manure you can put into the soil the better.

Also plant cow peas (or similar) after harvesting cassava, then plough the cow peas in when they have matured

I don't really know how long they take to grow or when best to plant. I need advice on that.

I.e. Do you miss a season of cassava to grow the cow peas?

Also Khonwan you mentioned 50 Kg - I assume that's per Rai? Is is scattered by hand or placed near each stem?

My brother-in-law seems to know what he is doing, but I think he could do with a bit more science.

The methods he uses appear to be traditional and I don't trust those to be the best methods.

If you want good yields, I've read that the more manure you can put into the soil the better.

Also plant cow peas (or similar) after harvesting cassava, then plough the cow peas in when they have matured

I don't really know how long they take to grow or when best to plant. I need advice on that.

I.e. Do you miss a season of cassava to grow the cow peas?

Also Khonwan you mentioned 50 Kg - I assume that's per Rai? Is is scattered by hand or placed near each stem?

My brother-in-law seems to know what he is doing, but I think he could do with a bit more science.

The methods he uses appear to be traditional and I don't trust those to be the best methods.

Cassava needs nutrients (mainly, but not exclusively, N-P-K). It can get these from manure or chemical fertiliser (CF). But it takes around 1,000kg of manure to provide the same N-P-K as 50kg of chemical fertiliser. No doubt about it, 1,000kg of manure is superior to 50kg of CF. The manure also improves the soil structure in addition to providing the necessary nutrients. But, 1,000kg of manure usually costs more than 50kg of CF AND incurs higher labour costs to apply (simply because the mass required is 20 times greater). Many folk (me included) may find it difficult to source 100,000kg of manure for 100 rai. Of course, any amount of manure in addition to the 50kg +50kg CF can only help. (N-P-K is also more correctly written as N, P2O5 and K2O)

Apply 50kg of 15-7-18 per rai one month after planting, and again three months after planting. It should be better to apply it in a ring around each plant (but not touching the plant) but this takes too much time. I, and most farmers I know, broadcast the fertiliser (scatter by hand). Research I’ve read indicates results are quite similar. You can substitute the initial 50kg of 15-7-18 with 1,000kg of manure, which is ploughed in before planting, but you should still apply 50kg of 15-7-18 three months after planting to maximise the yield.

I reckon your BiL probably does know what he’s doing. A lack of money tends to be the average Thai farmer’s only obstacle to improving cassava yields. They too know that deep ploughing is preferable and that 100kg of CF yields more than 50kg but most of them can’t afford the extra outlay due to years of depressed prices. There is very little I can teach the average Thai cassava farmer. The best cassava research comes from Thailand, and the information is disseminated to the farmers quite well.

Rotating with a nitrogen-fixer like mungbean, etc, is excellent practice but it doesn’t make economical sense to lose a whole season of cassava. In terms of tuber weight and starch, you should ideally harvest after 18 months. That gives you a 6-month window to plant mungbean, or whatever. You could choose to split your land so that you can harvest from one half of your land each year to improve cash flow and manage the workload better.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks all and Konwan I am looking forward to your full report. Wouldn't you know it just after I posted my first post, my wife said to me "come on we're going to get cassava stems. We had to drive about 100 or so kilometers to get the stems they were 95 baht for a bunch, which seems to be about 30 stems. The pickup truck would only hold 37 bunches so back tomorrow for 37 more. Our first attempt we our planting just over 4 rai and we'll see how it goes. If all goes well next time it will be about 11 rai and what ever amount of extra land I have bought by then. I keep hearing talk about the slow economy and how there is lots of land for sale, but I sure don't see any for sale in my area. Oh the type of cassava we got is Huay Bong. Issangeorge

Huay Bong is the new high-yielding variety. They are starting to plant that now in the Korat (Nong Mai Pai) area, although I think now they tend to have Rayong 81 and Kasesart. I have also seen those in the Pattaya (Banglamung) area.

Why are you not trying out all your land? Are you leaving the rest of the land vacant? With the prices of cassava these days, you might as well try it.

Do you get decent rainfall? I think you should consider drought resistance as well as yield.

If you want to try a different variety they are selling in the Nong mai Pai area if that is not too far from you.

Khonwan,

Can you grow peanuts intercropped with cassava? I was thinking of trying to on a couple rai to see if that improves yields at all.

Also, what do you know about a commercial fertilizer called "Godzilla"? Is it worth the money?

Thanks,

Jeff

Khonwan,

Can you grow peanuts intercropped with cassava? I was thinking of trying to on a couple rai to see if that improves yields at all.

Also, what do you know about a commercial fertilizer called "Godzilla"? Is it worth the money?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I haven’t myself, but yes. Intercropping with peanuts, mungbean, etc. is very good for preventing soil erosion on slopes. It will reduce your cassava yield, however, since cassava always comes off worse when competing for nutrients. Reports suggest, though, that there should be a net overall increased profit when the sale of the peanuts is also considered.

Rgds

Khonwan

Khonwan,

...Also, what do you know about a commercial fertilizer called "Godzilla"? Is it worth the money?

Thanks,

Jeff

I missed this question. I've not heard of this. What does it contain? And how much is it?

Rgds

Khonwan

Khonwan,

...Also, what do you know about a commercial fertilizer called "Godzilla"? Is it worth the money?

Thanks,

Jeff

I missed this question. I've not heard of this. What does it contain? And how much is it?

Rgds

Khonwan

Khonwan,

On my way to Korat from Nong Mai Pai there was a small gardening/farmer supply shop. They had many fertilizers, soil additives, herbicides, pesticides, and other farming equipment. I saw a bottle or box (can't remember) of some kind of nutrient/chemical fertilizer called godzilla. There was a photo of some farmers in Isaan who had used it and grew some of the largest cassava roots I have ever seen, doubling or tripling what I would think is normal yield. I am sure you can find this at a farmer store near you. Basically it had a photo of the famous Japanese monster "godzilla" on it. I think I have a brochure somewhere. I will look for it, scan it, and post it here if I can find it.

I think it cost 1000 or 2000 baht for the box. I will have to check again. I think it was good for up to 10 rai. I am not sure of the details but I have two rai I want to experiment with. So I am thinking about either using this godzilla, intercropping with peanuts, or both. The two rai I have already does better than most of the land in the area, even though it always has massive amounts of weeds for some reason. I am guessing it does well because it is near homes and perhaps benefits from septic runoff. I'm just guessing.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
Sawasdee kap khun Khonwan, I am interested to know whether you have any costing for the processing of the cassava to produce ethanol in Thailand.

Hi ChareonTK

It takes 6-7kg of cassava tubers to make 1 litre of ethanol. From memory, I believe processing costs add 6.30 baht per litre. At say Bt2.50/kg for tubers, the cost works out at Bt22.55/litre (assuming 6.5kg/litre).

By the way, just in case you think I'm Thai (as did another member, who congratulated me on the quality of my English :o )...I'm Scottish.

Rgds

Khonwan (as in Nakhon Sawan)

Sawasdee kap khun Khonwan, I am interested to know whether you have any costing for the processing of the cassava to produce ethanol in Thailand.

hi again and im looking form advice on fertilizer.you mention 15-7-18,is that suitable for the sandy /loam soil we have in sikhiu?.im sorry but i didnt get a soil analysis.i just found it enough to get the jod of planting done in the time we had .So im looking at fertilizer time coming soon

i understand that 50kgs per rai is required ,but what composition?

Dave

Hi Dave

I use 15-7-18 on sandy/loam soil. I advise 100kg/rai (50kg one month after planting, then 50kg three month after planting).

Not sure what you mean by composition. At 100kg/rai, 15-7-18 provides 15kg N, 7kg P, 18kg K.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Dave,

i looked in pak chong in all the stores and none had the 15-7-18,plenty of 15-15-15,one lot in yellow red bags 350, 50kgs.

imported 15-15-15,,,1000bt plus,, 6 weeks ago,i did not check SHI. Q

cat

Hi Dave,

i looked in pak chong in all the stores and none had the 15-7-18,plenty of 15-15-15,one lot in yellow red bags 350, 50kgs.

imported 15-15-15,,,1000bt plus,, 6 weeks ago,i did not check SHI. Q

cat

Thanks cat.

Ive seen the locals using 15-15-15.but i think they also use

16-8-8 ????? im not sure .

can anyone confirm??

If 15-7-18 is not available locally is there a suitable alternative?

Thanks cat.

can anyone confirm??

15-15-15 is a perfectly acceptable alternative (though more expensive than 15-7-18). 16-8-8 contains too little K (the last figure) for cassava. You may still be able to obtain 15-7-18 at your local Government operated Sahagon branch.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks cat.

can anyone confirm??

15-15-15 is a perfectly acceptable alternative (though more expensive than 15-7-18). 16-8-8 contains too little K (the last figure) for cassava. You may still be able to obtain 15-7-18 at your local Government operated Sahagon branch.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan ,

Than you for the info.Is It correct ,that you have to be a member of the local sahagon before you van buy from them?

Dave

Hi Khonwan ,

Than you for the info.Is It correct ,that you have to be a member of the local sahagon before you van buy from them?

Dave

Hi Dave

No need to be a member for cash purchases (membership required only for credit). We are not members but bought all our fertiliser from our local branch.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 1 month later...

That member was actually me! haha. Sorry about that, old boy!

Hey, do you know the best method for obtaining soil samples in Thailand?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi ChareonTK

It takes 6-7kg of cassava tubers to make 1 litre of ethanol. From memory, I believe processing costs add 6.30 baht per litre. At say Bt2.50/kg for tubers, the cost works out at Bt22.55/litre (assuming 6.5kg/litre).

By the way, just in case you think I'm Thai (as did another member, who congratulated me on the quality of my English :o )...I'm Scottish.

Rgds

Khonwan (as in Nakhon Sawan)

I hear Huay Bong is the kid on the block. Supposed to be heart, drought resistant, and well-yielding.

Hi Jeff

My Thai also has a strong Scottish accent!

You should try at your local amphur office for soil testing; they normally have an ag department that can either arrange this for you or give you contact details. There are no facilities anywhere near me - I think the closest to me is just over 200km away. Having said that, the Land Reform department recently advised my wife that they would send someone out to test our village (mostly now Sor Por Kor land).

I harvested some Huay Bung this year - I was impressed with it.

Rgds

Khonwan