Sync Outlook To Outlook

zorro1

I have 2 laptops, one that is a base and the other to take on Business trips so I end up having 2 lots of emails on diff laptops which is annoying. Anyway I can sync using a memory stick?

I don't know if you've done this already, but when I was using 2 machines in different locations I just used to click on 'leave a copy on the server' and you will get all emails on both machines, rather than half on one, and half on the other.

Pretty simple to do, in outlook click tools - accounts, highlight the relevant account, click properties - advanced, then check the box to leave a copy on the server.

Sorry if I am teaching grannie to suck eggs, but this was the easiest solution I could find.

Thanks I have been doing that when o/s and downloading headers only but FORGOT to tick leave copy on server, Doah quite a simple solution for my next trip thanks. Would still like to sync around 6 months worth of old stuff without going through it 1 by 1 though if at all possible

Edited by zorro1

Can't you just back up your main outlook.pst file and copy it to the other machine. Then all will be in synch. From there on, as you established, leave a copy on the server on both machines.

Hope this helps

Sound perfect except I dont how to do that. Could you advise?

Can't you just back up your main outlook.pst file and copy it to the other machine. Then all will be in synch. From there on, as you established, leave a copy on the server on both machines.

Hope this helps

Aargh - been ages since I did this so maybe another member can advise more accurately.

I seem to remember locating the appropriate .pst file (search) - copying it to a memory stick - then opening outlook 'File" - "Load data file" - and click on the saved .pst

Hope this helps

In theory, what The Vulcan recommended should work. It is not something I have ever attempted, only because I never thought of it myself. :o

Check out How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002

and the excellent

Outlook Tips to help you get a handle on your PST files and Outlook configuration.

Just remembered - here are the steps.

On the "main" machine look in "My documents" and you'll see "outlook backups"

Copy this to your memory stick or the like. (the whole folder)

Then go to your second machine which you want to synch.

Open outlook - file-import and export

Import from another programme and file

personal folder file (.pst)

browse your memory stick for the folder you've saved

click on it

Something strange going on here. I set the "save to server" on both my laptops just then as I use both of them here at home as well, one for work and a smaller one in the lounge, bedroom etc and figured they would both download any emails and that worked right up until I shutdown outlook on both laptops. On restart , both outlook programmes did not save the "save to server" option which I set to " be removed from server after 10 days"

Any ideas anyone?

EDIT

thanks Vulcan that makes it easy

Edited by zorro1

click on it

Its not in that folder. Im running windows xp 2002 home edition

Something strange going on here. I set the "save to server" on both my laptops just then as I use both of them here at home as well, one for work and a smaller one in the lounge, bedroom etc and figured they would both download any emails and that worked right up until I shutdown outlook on both laptops. On restart , both outlook programmes did not save the "save to server" option which I set to " be removed from server after 10 days"

Any ideas anyone?

What kind of mail account? POP3, Exchange Server, etc??

Any ideas anyone?

POP3

click on it

OK - use the search option to locate .pst file and copy from there. I use XP2 2007 and Office 2007 and this config provides the facility as outlined. Make sure of course that the .pst file you are copying is the latest backup of your "prime machine" outlook

POP3

Is it a GMail account by chance? If so, I there is an option to "keep copy in inbox " on the GMail account SETTINGS > Forwarding and POP/IMAP page. Other POP3 accounts may be similar.

Edited by Rice_King

POP3

Is it a GMail account by chance? If so, I there is an option to "keep copy in inbox " on the GMail account SETTINGS > Forwarding and POP/IMAP page. Other POP3 accounts may be similar.

Not Gmail just straight POP3

Any ideas anyone?

EDIT

After you check the box, you need to click 'Apply' in the bottom right.

Any ideas anyone?

EDIT

After you check the box, you need to click 'Apply' in the bottom right.

I looked for that 1st time but there is no `"Apply" box. Just okay and cancel

click on it

OK - use the search option to locate .pst file and copy from there. I use XP2 2007 and Office 2007 and this config provides the facility as outlined. Make sure of course that the .pst file you are copying is the latest backup of your "prime machine" outlook

Thanks vulcan that worked good!