Wireless Networks - How To Find The Network Key

TenDreams

Is there anyway I can find out the network key for our office wireless? Nobody here knows it, and the guy who set it up....well, who knows....

sorry if i have missed out any info that might be useful here, I am not very techie

Cheers,

TD

Unfortunately unless some has it written down or the person who set it up it's not likely possible. However, if you can connect to the wireless unit through web access you can generate a new one. However, this will assume someone has the admin password to the box. :o

You might be able to glean the key from someone else's PC, some apps. hide the key, others leave it exposed.

Maybe best to find someone who can get into the management system for the device and read off the key, or change it.

And, some AP's have a way to restore factory defaults, typically a very small pin-hole into which you would push say a straightened paper clip to remove all configuration information.

Is there anyway I can find out the network key for our office wireless? Nobody here knows it, and the guy who set it up....well, who knows....

If the last network administrator did not change the password on the wireless router, then one of these default (factory set) passwords or HERE should work and you can change the keys with little problem.

If you cannot login with the default password, then you will need to "hard reset" the router so that you CAN login with the default password. Doing this type of reset will cause the router to lose all current configuration settings and reset itself back to factory settings. You will lose all functionality until you have set it back with your custom settings.

Edited by Rice_King

Or you could get blackhat and just crack the WEP key

http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum/index.php?topic=2019.0

ftp://vmware.aircrack-ng.org/vmware-aircrack-ng-v3.7z

What you need:

- vmware 6.0 or vmware player 2.0 (freeware)

- a wireless usb adapter with either rtl8187 or rt2570 chipset

- ~3 gigs of harddisk space

Install vmware or player, download the above file and unpack it somewhere.

Start vmware and select "open". Open the vm. Attach your usb adapter.

If the usb adapter is recognized automatically you'll find a small usb icon

in the lower right corner of your vmware window. If not you have to activate

it by going through the menus (VM/Removable devices....)

Let me know about your failures, problems and/or your success stories Wink

Very handy if your in hotels a lot that charge useage !!

^ I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that LivinLOS. A good option if you don't want to lose all your configuration settings. A top notch program.

cheers

Jimmy

Thanks guys,

I found a fix - downloaded and ran 'wireless key view' on an office PC, worked fine, gave me the password, and hey presto.

Cheers

Ha ha has anybody on this forum ever been some dumb as to try and crack there own router because they forgot the password...come on gusy pass on some decent relevant infomation instead of tryin to make yourselfs look like Bill gates..no need

If else fails then just download the manual off the internet and there will be a master reset on the router, and just set it up again, it isnt that hard if you follow the manual..