Fire Around Nana Plaza!

Wolfie

Everything seems to be wrapping up now with the firetrucks leaving. Firemen were seen in an area upstairs ( closest to the street) next to the old Big Mango bar and behind the Mandarin Bar.

Nana closed down. No idea if they will reopen tonight or not.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

A fire broke out and caused quite a happening as Nana Plaza area revelers spilled out of bars that had had their electric cut out. The ladders of the brave firefighters went up to the second floor of the plaza at what looked to be the location of Mandarin Bar. Local residents, thinking their electric would be out for quite some time, tried to buy candles but alas both the 7 11 and Family Mart were without power for their cash registers. A good fire is one that is put out quickly and only causes some broken doors and glasses. This fire looked to be that kind of fire. The electric went back on at 10:30 p.m. and the Chat Moon Kohn Holiday crowd dispersed from the scene.

Lots of worried looking Indian men running around outside the tailors but nobody hurt, thank goodness.

So, curry all round tonight and a chorus of Ring Of Fire in the morning.

"...burn, burn burn." etc etc.

Anything Tandoori-style should come up lovely though! :o

For a small fire like this, I was amused by the whole army of civil defense fire engines and rescue workers. From my humble abode in Soi 3, I could at least count 10 fire engines whisking along the soi.

Curious as I was, I took a short stroll to check out what happened. You'll be amazed at what speculation comes out from those who aren't sure of the real story. Some hilarious things I heard on the way include:

- Bomb threat at J.W. Marriot

- Shell petrol kiosk exploded (as the electricity was disrupted, some could have assumed that)

- Explosion on Soi 4 wiping out several pubs and discos

Anyway, I have to give great kudos to the Thai fire department in dispatching their fighters so quickly. But sending 10 fire engines? Don't you think it's way too much of an overkill? Just like breaking a butterfly on the wheel.

So were there any casualties?

For a small fire like this, I was amused by the whole army of civil defense fire engines and rescue workers. From my humble abode in Soi 3, I could at least count 10 fire engines whisking along the soi.

No casualties and perhaps (?) only smoke damage at the Taj Mahal tailor shop where the fire was contained.

I wonder if the amount of firefighters is normal, or is it because ot was a densely populated tourist area? Fire can spread quickly in most populated areas of bangkok given how close all the building are - I just wonder if 10 trucks would be considered normal response?

From Soi 8, based on the volume and duration of the passing sirens, it sounded like the whole BKK Fire Department had been sent zooming down the street... Never heard anything like that during my couple years in BKK....

Thumb's up, to Civil Defence for sending 10 engines. Presumably, when they got the call they didn't know the extent of the fire so erred on the side of caution.

A bomb, or a big fire in the middle of Nana Plaza would be devastating.

Better to send a few truck's back rather than try to get more to the scene later IMO.

I'm very happy to hear that no one was hurt.

Thumb's up, to Civil Defence for sending 10 engines. Presumably, when they got the call they didn't know the extent of the fire so erred on the side of caution.

A bomb, or a big fire in the middle of Nana Plaza would be devastating.

Better to send a few truck's back rather than try to get more to the scene later IMO.

I'm very happy to hear that no one was hurt.

I am told that any fire in the "farang ghetto" will get a lot of immediate attention because the Thai govt does not want any bad press if the situation deteriorates and casualties occur. I noted one very high ranking official on site who appeared to be overseeing the operation last night.

It seems pretty standard in Thailand, I think the firefighters are a bit bored, and race each other to get to the fire first (a bit like the volunteer rescue services).

There was a small house fire in Pattaya recently where it was reported 10 fire engines attended - I didn't know they had that many! However I believe the majority of these 'fire engines' are pickups with water bowsers on the back.

Anyway joking aside, it's good to know they do react quickly when potentially needed.

What would you prefer? 1 fire truck turn up or 10?

Personally, when it comes to things like this, i'd always opt for the 'overkill' option - better to be safe than sorry!

Thai firetrucks are built for the sois. Unlike their North American counterparts and a lot in the EU ,the water capacity is lower, so you need more trucks to respond to a fire than would be the case with the bigger equipment. Considering the building densities and likelihood of fire spreading, 10 trucks is not that much.

For comparison sake, a 1 alarm fire in most North American cities requires a ladder truck, 2 pumper trucks, a rescue unit and the district chief to supervise. 2 alarms will bring another 3 vehicles. However, mega cities like NYC dispatch a minimum of 25 vehicles and 110 fireman to a 2 alarm. The number only goes up to 32 units and 135 firemen for a 3 alarm fire. So 10 trucks or even 20 is not that significant in BKK. All it shows is that the fire department is on the ball and is following the appropriate protocols. I was standing on soi 11 offf Suhkumvit last December (29?) when the 4 story with the tailor shop had its fire ( they burn alot around here). Same drill, 5 trucks and they cut the power lines to keep the fire from spreading along the lines. They arrived promptly and put it out fast. These guys are good, really good.

Actually the several fires i witnessed in Phuket were all tailor shops - guess theres a trend there :o

But yeah, the one fire i witnessed in its entirety the fire service was very quick, very professional and very skilled. I only got worried when they dragged a smoldering gas bottle out of the shop, threw it into the back of a pickup truck and sped off, at high speed, away from the populated areas. That could have been messy :D

Disco inferno!

Probably started by some bargirl trying to dodge performing an act she was already paid for.

Is it possible to get fire insurance in Thailand? If so, are there policies underwritten in India?

This sudden 'flare up' of Indian tailor shops sounds suspicious.

Curious as I was, I took a short stroll to check out what happened. You'll be amazed at what speculation comes out from those who aren't sure of the real story. Some hilarious things I heard on the way include:

- Bomb threat at J.W. Marriot

- Shell petrol kiosk exploded (as the electricity was disrupted, some could have assumed that)

- Explosion on Soi 4 wiping out several pubs and discos

Anyway, I have to give great kudos to the Thai fire department in dispatching their fighters so quickly. But sending 10 fire engines? Don't you think it's way too much of an overkill? Just like breaking a butterfly on the wheel.

"But sending 10 fire engines? Don't you think it's way too much of an overkill?"

No !!!

Better to have the equipment on location. If it's not required it is easy to stand it down and send it back to the station.

The alternative is 2 - 3 appliances that cannot control the blaze, call for additional resources, by now the roads are all clogged with rubber neck's and other traffic, blaze is out of control and people are dead.

It is just as easy to get 10 appliances to the scene of a fire as it is to get one there.

Better to be safe than sorry :o