News Article Translation (hua Hin Shooting)

taxexile

a rather long newspaper article about the murder of a local man with business and political interests.

i think its a well written article , the journalist has done a good job , lots of info and detail , the article was printed the day after the shooting.

there are some words and sentences that i am having trouble with , i have marked them in red.

the yellow marks show where the photos of the article have overlapped.

i hope readers find the article interesting , and i'm grateful for any help offered.

if anybody knows who the mystery woman on the phone is though , you'd better tell the police and not reveal it here.

query 1. does this mean " raced away and disappeared without a trace and got away with it."

query 2. does this mean mysterious.

query 3. that these things have caused him to be hunted by enemies.

query 4. this seems to an adjective to describe a wealthy business man , what exactly does it mean?

query 5. is this a police rank or does it just mean a duty officer.

query 1. does this mean that , from the investigations so far he is not hopeful of finding the killer

query 2. a religious rite ???

query 1. i cant really fit this in at all.

query 2. i've never seen this word before.

basically , the article states that the victim , a prominent local business man , resort owner (sport villa) , land owner and with political connections was shot dead as he travelled to a meeting.

the assailants pulled alongside in a toyota vios , near the u-turn on phetkasem opposite the electricity offices , and pumped him full of lead , they then sped off towards pranburi .

witnesses were too scared to tell the police anything , they dont have the registration number of the vios. 9mm shell casings were found at the scene.

just before the shooting , whilst on his way to a political meeting of some sort , he received a phone call on his mobile from a "mystery woman" and then asked the driver to go to a bank at market village for another get together, and it was whilst he was on his way to market village that he was shot.

he was rushed to san paulo hosp. but had already died from his wounds. police think business or political conflicts were to blame.

i think thats about correct.

To the best of my knowledge:

query 1. does this mean " raced away and disappeared without a trace and got away with it."

Yes, pretty much.

Yes, that's a good translation I think. 'lúek láp' can also mean 'hidden (away)'. 'saay láp' is a secret agent, etc.

Not sure about this one.

query 4. this seems to an adjective to describe a wealthy business man , what exactly does it mean?

MY guess is that it is literal. You've cut the noun phrase off in the middle. 'The famous Hua Hin business tycoon' could be a decent translation. I think the 'róoy láan' is just a description of how much money he is worth, i.e. in the hundreds of millions of baht. Stand to be corrected though.

The rank precedes his name, you are correct that this just means something like 'duty officer', not sure what the róoy adds to it though, unless it is just short for 'naay róoy' which means 'officer'.

query 1. does this mean that , from the investigations so far he is not hopeful of finding the killer

I believe it means 'he has not lost hope'.

I believe it is the name of the MP from Prachuab. (Could be wrong here).

Query 1.

Not sure.

Query 2.

This is the prelude to something happening suddenly. Sometimes you see จู่ๆ ก็ and sometimes อยู่ๆ ก็ - the intended meaning is the same. I believe one of these constructions is considered incorrect by Thai language purists, I think อยู่ๆ ก็

As for the last pic you posted with the phrase underlined in yellow I take it to mean something like:

Something like 'Tens of shots rang out (reverberated) and then died down in silence'

hi all,

just chipping in for some of the gaps...

no, this refers to the police. they have looked for areas of conflict in relation to a, b, and c and put together a team to hunt down the perpetrator(s).

meadish is spot on. we english speakers just have millionaires and billionaires, thais also have hundred-millionaires, thousand-millionaires and so on.

ไม่สิ้นหวัง does mean, as meadish said, "not yet given up" or "not having lost hope", but in this case it's part of the name of a political party. it comes up again in another section you've highlighted.

agree with meadish, again.

Query 1.

It talks about the driver saying that before the incident he picked up the (now) deceased and headed for a party electoral centre in hua hin, where the brother of the deceased had stood for election, with the deceased as a canvasser.

As for the last pic you posted with the phrase underlined in yellow I take it to mean something like:

meadish has: Something like 'Tens of shots rang out (reverberated) and then died down in silence'

i'd say the แน่นิ่ง refers to the victim (motionless, dead still, etc).

all the best.

Edited by aanon

ไม่สิ้นหวัง does mean, as meadish said, "not yet given up" or "not having lost hope", but in this case it's part of the name of a political party. it comes up again in another section you've highlighted.

thanks meadish and aanon for your help , and for the above.

i do miss full stops and commas sometimes though.

a rather long newspaper article about the murder of a local man with business and political interests.

i think its a well written article , the journalist has done a good job , lots of info and detail , the article was printed the day after the shooting.

there are some words and sentences that i am having trouble with , i have marked them in red.

the yellow marks show where the photos of the article have overlapped.

i hope readers find the article interesting , and i'm grateful for any help offered.

if anybody knows who the mystery woman on the phone is though , you'd better tell the police and not reveal it here.

query 1. i cant really fit this in at all.

query 2. i've never seen this word before.

I wish to thank all of you for translating the story and making it a little clearer for those of us who can't read Thai. I know have better appreciation for those who can read Thai. I see how challenging it is. Thanks again.