Laptop Lcd Damaged

sibeymai

My laptop's LCD screen became damaged in a car accident. It now has a black blob covering about 30% of the screen area from the top right hand corner which was the point of impact.. It is a solid blob now although to begin with it was confined to narrow areas following the fracture lines which run out from the corner. The blob appears to be gradually expanding.

The black material appears to be liquid because it changes shape and moves to other areas of the screen at times. If I store the laptop upright, or on it's side the blob will be a different shape next time.

I note that the screen under the black blob still appears to be displaying normally. When the nblob moves areas it was covering become visible. I am curious as to the technical explanation of what is happening.

Can anyone explain what this black liquid is ?

Is it possible to drain off this black liquid somehow and render the screen area now covered by it visible again ?

I've been quoted 45,000Bt to replace the LCD (it's 15" hi-res) so if it can't be improved it'll be a new laptop.

My laptop's LCD screen became damaged in a car accident. It now has a black blob covering about 30% of the screen area from the top right hand corner which was the point of impact.. It is a solid blob now although to begin with it was confined to narrow areas following the fracture lines which run out from the corner. The blob appears to be gradually expanding.

The black material appears to be liquid because it changes shape and moves to other areas of the screen at times. If I store the laptop upright, or on it's side the blob will be a different shape next time.

I note that the screen under the black blob still appears to be displaying normally. When the nblob moves areas it was covering become visible. I am curious as to the technical explanation of what is happening.

Is it possible to drain off this black liquid somehow and render the screen area now covered by it visible again ?

I've been quoted 45,000Bt to replace the LCD (it's 15" hi-res) so if it can't be improved it'll be a new laptop.

Hook it up to an external monitor and use as a desktop.

Hook it up to an external monitor and use as a desktop.

Can do, but bought a new desktop about a month before so don't need it as a desktop.

Edited by sibeymai

The black blob is indeed liquid, the L in LCD. Briefly it forms a substrate which acts in concert with the polarised glass layers and the electronic display {usually a twisted nematic}, so as to permit or prohibit the transmission of light. There's a repair {replacement} shop in Fortune {2nd floor}, and some in Pantip. The problem, with replacements is two fold, a} the resolution, and b} the tendency for some manufactures, to use custom location fittings or specific profiles thereby endeavouring to make a user buy their specific replacement, rather than a generic.

Regards

I had my 13 inch Lcd screen replaced for 1000. plus 200. Baht labor. Many quoted me exorbitant prices like 5000. up until I found this shop but it is in Rayong, Laemthong Mall. Yours is 15 inch, may cost a little more or not I don't know. They do it there and then, about an hour and it's done. The shop is on the 2nd floor, don't know the name but I believe it is next to the shop where they sell software cd's etc. The owner is long haired hippie type of look, ha. If you are interested I can get the name of the shop for you since I pass by the place often.