Can Farangs Drive Thai-registered Cars Into Cambodia?

RY12

Is it possible for farangs to drive Thai-registered cars (it's not mine actually, it's my gf's truck) into Cambodia, at Poipet? Do I need an int'l drivers license or will there be a problem with the Thai car having the steering on the opposite side of the car relative to Cambodia? Maybe I should I hire a Thai or Khmer to drive the car just across the border, then go on our way? Will bribes work and be safe do get around regulations if there are any?

(I posted in the car forum as well)

Is it possible for farangs to drive Thai-registered cars (it's not mine actually, it's my gf's truck) into Cambodia, at Poipet? Do I need an int'l drivers license or will there be a problem with the Thai car having the steering on the opposite side of the car relative to Cambodia? Maybe I should I hire a Thai or Khmer to drive the car just across the border, then go on our way? Will bribes work and be safe do get around regulations if there are any?

(I posted in the car forum as well)

I've asked about this on several occasions at the Poipet border. I was told that you must have some special permission from Phnom Penh to take a Thai-registered private vehicle (car or motorcycle) into Cambodia. I was told it has something to do with stopping the trade in stolen cars. That said, I was also told that if you have a car with non-Thai registration (Malaysia, Singapore, USA etc), it's not much of a problem to enter Cambodia. Thailand-registration is the problem.

I am very interested to know the real story. Please post here if you figure out how to do it. !!

My understanding is that it is possible to cross the border.. But then your only allowed in the province / area of the border.. Not to just drive in, and go anywhere within the country..

I assume that with a carnet, the car passport thing, and some pre arranging via embassies it would be possible.. But hardly worth it..

If I really wanted to I would just go ahead and do it.. hand out a few dollar bills whenever stopped..

I've contacted the cambodian embassy in bangkok Ithalian and I'll post the answer I get from them. I'm still debating whether it's worth it or not, but having to use public transport really ruined my trip in Laos a few months ago, it took a whole day to get to locations Thai tourists with their cars were getting to in an hour... it just made everything hard. I'll be working in Cambodia for 8 weeks and i don't wan to waste my precious weekends cramped in public transport, on the other hand there are a lot of problems too (safety, wet roads, etc)

LivinLos- those bribes may add up after a while :o

Edited by RY12

About three years ago, I attempted to drive my Thai registered truck to Siem Reap (through Poipet). I was with my Thai girlfriend at the time. No problem getting the paperwork on the Thai side of the border, but as soon as we crossed into Cambodia, the major hassles began. To make a long story short, we eventually turned around and went back to Thailand.

-Jeff

We enquired at the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok a few months back. We were told you have to apply well in advance and provide:

- a detailed list of which provinces you want to travel to in Cambodia

- copy of passport photo page, Thai & Cambodian visas for the driver & all passengers

- copy of the driver's Thai licence (they didn't mention need for international licence)

- copy of ownership, registration and insurance papers for the vehicle

Then there was some confusion but they *seemed* to think that after all the information was provided the Embassy in Bangkok would seek approval from Phnom Penh. Once this was received Bangkok would issue an approval letter They suggested that we should have this letter plus all the above documents translated into Khmer & authenticated to take with us.

I found it all too hard and haven't gotten any further than this.

We enquired at the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok a few months back. We were told you have to apply well in advance and provide:

- a detailed list of which provinces you want to travel to in Cambodia

- copy of passport photo page, Thai & Cambodian visas for the driver & all passengers

- copy of the driver's Thai licence (they didn't mention need for international licence)

- copy of ownership, registration and insurance papers for the vehicle

Then there was some confusion but they *seemed* to think that after all the information was provided the Embassy in Bangkok would seek approval from Phnom Penh. Once this was received Bangkok would issue an approval letter They suggested that we should have this letter plus all the above documents translated into Khmer & authenticated to take with us.

I found it all too hard and haven't gotten any further than this.

Dang, that is a lot of hoo-haw. Well I saw a post somewhere for sure that said farangs are allowed to rent cars driven by themselves in PP, so heck, why not just pay a Khmer to drive the car through the border with you, send him off, then go on your merry way?

• 4 months later...

I just got back this week from Cambodia by car. Car has Thai plates. I crossed at Had Lek into Koh Kong, cost me 100 baht per day on the Cambodian side. The car was supposed to be restricted to Koh Kong province, but it was driven into snoppyville and Phnom Penh, and back. All of the bridges have been completed so there are no ferries between Koh Kong and snoppyville.

Apparently you can get a temporary import permit from the customs office (direction des douanes et regies) in Phnom Penh 6-8 Norodom Blvd, across the street from the Bank of Cambodia. Go to the building in the rear, second floor, to the office of the Secretariat. Apparently, there is zero cost to the permit, and it will be issued for up to 30 days. The permit allows you to drive anywhere in Cambodia. Be sure to take a detailed letter explaining exactly what you want to do. For example, temporarily import right hand drive car, for personal tourism use, for 25 days, etc. etc. The permit is not available from any other location except the main customs house on Phnom Penh.

Edited by cigar7

My understanding is that it is possible to cross the border.. But then your only allowed in the province / area of the border.. Not to just drive in, and go anywhere within the country..

I assume that with a carnet, the car passport thing, and some pre arranging via embassies it would be possible.. But hardly worth it..

If I really wanted to I would just go ahead and do it.. hand out a few dollar bills whenever stopped..

That's an interesting point. I have been trying to get a carnet de passage in Thailand and have failed miserably as they simply do not exist. There is a page on the Thai Customs website that advises contacting the International Chamber of Commerce but I got deaf ears there too. WHat I did find much easier than anticipated was obtaining a 'passport' for the vehicle, I got mine in Nong Khai and it only took twenty minutes through an agent at the gate of teh vehicle registration department. It seems to be good for evrywhere except Burma (ooops sorry, Myanmar).

I would suggest asking either the Thai Customs or the Police (at the registration department) and seeing what they have to say for themselves. Sometimes we farang get so tied up in teh complications we just make it hard for ourselves by just not asking a question or three of the people that matter.

Bon voyage

AjarnP

That's an interesting point. I have been trying to get a carnet de passage in Thailand and have failed miserably as they simply do not exist. There is a page on the Thai Customs website that advises contacting the International Chamber of Commerce but I got deaf ears there too. WHat I did find much easier than anticipated was obtaining a 'passport' for the vehicle, I got mine in Nong Khai and it only took twenty minutes through an agent at the gate of teh vehicle registration department. It seems to be good for evrywhere except Burma (ooops sorry, Myanmar).

I would suggest asking either the Thai Customs or the Police (at the registration department) and seeing what they have to say for themselves. Sometimes we farang get so tied up in teh complications we just make it hard for ourselves by just not asking a question or three of the people that matter.

Bon voyage

AjarnP

You do not need a carnet de passage for cambodia, just the book( vehicle registration ) in your name,.its a lot easier than is being made out here, i have driven in over 15 times and never had a problem,( apart from the time which can take from 30 mins at best to 4 hours at worst ( poi pet ),also i have never had the permit for other provinces, when they see how many cambodian stamps in my passport they dont ask me for the permit as its a scam, im going again next thursday for a week,.im going on a bike but for a car the best route is through koh kong ,the road on is tarmaced and bridges are all open,.