Five Hours In Line At Suan Plu

I went to get my 1 year marriage visa extended. I arrived at 9:45am and there were 41 people in front of me. I had to wait until after 3pm!

It really pissed me off when it was almost my turn i went to stand near the desks and thats when i noticed what was going on.

Basically for each "queued" person there were about 3 other people coming up and (i'm assuming) somehow buying their way into the line (without a ticket number or ticket number that was like 50 places to go).

How is it that you go about bribing your way into the line? How much does it cost? Is this practice now common place?

I'd never noticed this going on before, but may because last year there was only an hour or so queue.

I believe most of these people are probably returning from making copies and such rather than new arrivals - at least that was the case last year when I was there. But there did seem to be some 'expediters' among them.

Welcome to Thailand!

Last week I was at Korat Immigration (first visit). Dutifully took my number (#13--I know, unlucky number, I should have known). After waiting a long time, I noticed the majority of people who came in the door after me were NOT taking numbers, and they just sprinted up to the clerks' desks when a vacancy occurred. Farangs should know better, but apparently some long-termers are already picking up Thai culture!

You've got two choices: Sit and let your blood pressure rocket or adopt the "mai pben rai" attitude and elbow your way to the front with the rest of them--smiling all the time!

I believe most of these people are probably returning from making copies and such rather than new arrivals - at least that was the case last year when I was there. But there did seem to be some 'expediters' among them.

Nope, it was quite clear they were not returning copies or missing information.

For example my ticket was 959 the guy who sat down after me had 989 (he was holding it in his hand).

And prior to this he had this bag of some kind of keyrings which he was handing out to immigration offices left right and center.

The women infront of me didn't have a ticket, just walking up to the desk and exchanged what looked to be a business card with something written on it (looked to be a bank # from the officer) dropped down her application and papers and left.

The immigration officer even filled out most of her forms for her while she was doing my application!

It was also fairly clear to see that there were certain "bribe" desks.

Because desks 16, 17,18,19,20 were all open and always occupied, but only desks 18 and 19 kept coming up on the board.

Edited by dave111223

Actually it is sometimes hard to know if a queue system is being used or not. I did a 90 day report yesterday and there has never been a queue used at that counter in the One Stop Center. Yesterday there was one person at the counter and I stood behind him as usual. But noticed a queue card as he departed so asked and was told yes - took card and waited 20 minutes for my turn. Nobody was served without a card and one person with a dozen passports was told to go away. This was the first wait of more than several minutes but a very pleasant smile from officer and fact nobody was provided special service made up for the longer than normal wait.

I've been through the same experience, waiting from 10am to 2pm to do my wifes extension at suan phlu.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=162873&hl=

Queues are indeed long, though I am not so sure about the bribe bit. Alot of people pay for lawyers to come first thing, line up and get the stuff. When it was part of my contract at my old job, we just waltzed in when the lawyer told us to.

The main reason for the current delays, as was explained to me by the lady who handled our stuff was that requirements for evidence, such as photos of ones residence have really slowed down the process, and alot of people are caught out with not having something or other (she actually ask me to write a suggestion to .

This happened to us, and we had to butt back into line.

By all accounts the people at the desks are sick of the new requirements, making more work for them. I was actively encouraged to complain!!!

The people that are pushing in could be agents that the immigration people know.

Yes i think about 50%-75% of the non-queued people were either with an agent or it was just an agent by themselves.

So i am assuming you can just pay an agent to do the whole visa process for you? Where can such an agent by found, as i don't want to be sat there waiting, like a schmuck, for hours next year when there are people getting their stuff processed in minutes.

The people that are pushing in could be agents that the immigration people know.

Yes i think about 50%-75% of the non-queued people were either with an agent or it was just an agent by themselves.

So i am assuming you can just pay an agent to do the whole visa process for you? Where can such an agent by found, as i don't want to be sat there waiting, like a schmuck, for hours next year when there are people getting their stuff processed in minutes.

lawyers are everywhere on this site!

the company I used to work for used Dej Udom, who minimised our time at immigration to the bare minimum. They'll even do the 90 day reporting for you!

the company I used to work for used Dej Udom, who minimised our time at immigration to the bare minimum. They'll even do the 90 day reporting for you!

Any idea of the normal costs associated with these lawyers? Example for a 90 reporting, or 1 year extension?

Any idea of the normal costs associated with these lawyers? Example for a 90 reporting, or 1 year extension?

Subelt I beleive has a price list..

i remember Dej Udom charging 2K for 90 day reporting. Not that I ever had to pay it - and they were properly trained lawyers!. Would suspect that a visit to immigration would cost a heck of a lot more with a firm like them though!

Hi,

Sorry about your wait it does seem like a very long one thus loosing priceless prime working hours so that in mind it may pay to utilize agents to speed up your way through the system.

Other alternative is to know 'someone important enough' at immigration & in that case no queue number or waits required.

Even the actual 'process' might be shortened too :o

Cheers!

Actually it is sometimes hard to know if a queue system is being used or not. I did a 90 day report yesterday and there has never been a queue used at that counter in the One Stop Center. Yesterday there was one person at the counter and I stood behind him as usual. But noticed a queue card as he departed so asked and was told yes - took card and waited 20 minutes for my turn. Nobody was served without a card and one person with a dozen passports was told to go away. This was the first wait of more than several minutes but a very pleasant smile from officer and fact nobody was provided special service made up for the longer than normal wait.

Where is the One Stop Center ? Is it faster than Suan Plu for 90 day reporting ? Also cheeky question, can you do 90 day reporting at the Bumrungrad Immigration desk (because it's near me) or is that just being far too lazy ?

I'm only asking because somehow my 90 reporting is 2 weeks before my 90 day renewal (dunno how I managed that) and was wondering if I can do the 90 day anywhere else apart from Suan Plu.

I

Basically for each "queued" person there were about 3 other people coming up and (i'm assuming) somehow buying their way into the line (without a ticket number or ticket number that was like 50 places to go).

It certainly appears that way, I've recently had one of these experiences down at Suan Plu. In fact or not if the agents and lawyers are pushing in, there should be a separate desk for them at least, this would stop the 'pissed' feeling when seeing their antics.

I

It certainly appears that way, I've recently had one of these experiences down at Suan Plu. In fact or not if the agents and lawyers are pushing in, there should be a separate desk for them at least, this would stop the 'pissed' feeling when seeing their antics.

Probably they got appointment through the immigration's website, as it is stated clearly on their advertising board at the immigration office that you can download the application forms and get an appointment. Check it out first because I think it is a bit difficult (not impossible) to bribe somebody here.

The One Stop Center in Rasa Tower II, Soi 19, Paholyothin Road, Floor 16. It is about 300 meters North of Central Plaza Lat Phao Shopping Center.

But from current report Suan Phlu has become very fast for 90 day reports. You can also use the office at hotel in airport I believe. Do not think hospital office will accept for non patients/relatives but have no personal knowledge.

Where is the One Stop Center ? Is it faster than Suan Plu for 90 day reporting ? Also cheeky question, can you do 90 day reporting at the Bumrungrad Immigration desk (because it's near me) or is that just being far too lazy ?

I'm only asking because somehow my 90 reporting is 2 weeks before my 90 day renewal (dunno how I managed that) and was wondering if I can do the 90 day anywhere else apart from Suan Plu.

I would wait as long as possible to make your 90 day reporting. Then on your next one, if you again did it at the end, you should be able to do it at the same time as your 90 day renewal.

Is the desk at the hospital actually run by immigration? I was under the impression that it was just hospital staff that deal with immigration for patients.

I

Probably they got appointment through the immigration's website, as it is stated clearly on their advertising board at the immigration office that you can download the application forms and get an appointment. Check it out first because I think it is a bit difficult (not impossible) to bribe somebody here.

Can you please explain how to book an appointment through the immigration website?

The One Stop Center in Rasa Tower II, Soi 19, Paholyothin Road, Floor 16. It is about 300 meters North of Central Plaza Lat Phao Shopping Center.

But from current report Suan Phlu has become very fast for 90 day reports. You can also use the office at hotel in airport I believe. Do not think hospital office will accept for non patients/relatives but have no personal knowledge.

Thanks for that :o

With the current reports of Suan Phlu becoming super fast I'll give it a go and see if it has got any better than the farm that it was last time I did it with bloody people without a ticket jumping infront of the counter.

Today my ticket was stamped with the time 10:16 being my arrival time. I was served at 16:35 - a wait of more than 6 hours. Disgusted.

For 90 day report or extension???. I am in Suan Plu, Tuesday afternoon (13th) next week for 90 day report.

Today my ticket was stamped with the time 10:16 being my arrival time. I was served at 16:35 - a wait of more than 6 hours. Disgusted.

For 90 day report or extension???. I am in Suan Plu, Tuesday afternoon (13th) next week for 90 day report.

I assume he is referring to the 1 year extension area; the 90 day report line is usually pretty quick.

Other alternative is to know 'someone important enough' at immigration & in that case no queue number or waits required.

Even the actual 'process' might be shortened too :o

Cheers!

So you suggest cutting in front of everybody else because you know someone! NICE. This advanced member has adopted the local attitude of ME FIRST cuz I'm important and you're not. You've been here too long

Thanks for that :o

With the current reports of Suan Phlu becoming super fast I'll give it a go and see if it has got any better than the farm that it was last time I did it with bloody people without a ticket jumping infront of the counter.

Superfast? YEah RIGHT! I did mine last Tuesday and was there for nearly four hours to do my simple 90-day check with the gestapo. In fact from what I saw it was quite the opposite: 90-day reports have become painfully slow. There was even a sign written in pigeon english saying they apologize for the wait and they are working to streamline it. I won't hold my breath

No Lop Buri these ppl are not new arrivals -- i was at the hel_l hole on Thursday last -- and had the same -- expending non-imm B and after 6.5 hours and no where to sit -- really getting angry with all these ppl as mentioned just hopping in and taking a seat i call a friend of mine who has connections there - Pol Col at CID and he called - seems these ppl are agents and they pay tea money to get express treatment -- of course the client pays them for this so called express service --- there was not one person returning with photo copies or the like ---- stinking hot inside - cooler outside = they really need to decentralize = and spread the crowd - there was even a letter in the BKk Post today regarding this same situation -- so it seem that we all must go thru this at least once a year ---= i used to use the One Stop but they no longer process non-imm B - pity = had everything done in 30 mins --

Well I seem to have to go often to Suan Phu as my whole family is on different schedules. I've never waited more than an hour. It pays to go early, it pays to check the website to make sure you have every form possible. It pays to have backup material to support your claims even though it is not required. The advance booking site, I've only used for getting a multi-entry stamp and its a little confusing because they give you an email address but never acknowledge receipt. However when you get there if you tell them...I emailed it already it seems to move along quite quickly.

I'm sure a fair number of them are agents..The US has a similar system for getting passports, if you use an agent it is much faster than doing it through channels. You can also get your congressman involved and blah, blah, blah. The US has lots of systems for getting around systems, so why not Thailand. And if you want a line-up go through the process of getting a Green Card in the US.

I found most of these people are coming to pick up or drop off additional info or have been sent down from someone on a higher floor. A fair number are the wives/fiancées/gfs of guys being sent forward to ask questions. Still I do find the staff quite rude if you listen to them in Thai, but they don't keep me waiting.

I'm sure you folks are waiting, but I think I'd have to know more details before I said it was the Thai system at fault.

Final rule, after living in Asia for 20 years...always carry a book.

I live in Bkk and did my last 90 days reporting via postal service. No waiting, easy.

WCA

For 4 years I did my 90 day reporting by mail,without a problem, and then on the last occasion when it wasn't returned to me for a fortnight I rang and was told "the man very busy" next time you come in " Whan I asked what was the difference in time ,for them,between then processing by mail or in person she could not answer just "you come here"

I did last week and it took nearly 3 hours as I sat looking at the sign "sorry for convenience". My blood pressure rises everytime I even think about going to Suan Plu,its a hel_l hole of needless beaurocracy.

I have never received an answer to "why do you want to know where I live?" And am yet to have a visit from an official at my home for a cuppa. The whole thing could be simplified by registering at a Post Office ,if they really needed to know ,which they dont. Your passport pages are indication enough that you are here. I live in Bangkapi and its the best part of a day written off.I will try the one stop shop near Central Plaza next.

Well I seem to have to go often to Suan Phu as my whole family is on different schedules. I've never waited more than an hour. It pays to go early, it pays to check the website to make sure you have every form possible. It pays to have backup material to support your claims even though it is not required. The advance booking site, I've only used for getting a multi-entry stamp and its a little confusing because they give you an email address but never acknowledge receipt. However when you get there if you tell them...I emailed it already it seems to move along quite quickly.

I'm sure a fair number of them are agents..The US has a similar system for getting passports, if you use an agent it is much faster than doing it through channels. You can also get your congressman involved and blah, blah, blah. The US has lots of systems for getting around systems, so why not Thailand. And if you want a line-up go through the process of getting a Green Card in the US.

I found most of these people are coming to pick up or drop off additional info or have been sent down from someone on a higher floor. A fair number are the wives/fiancées/gfs of guys being sent forward to ask questions. Still I do find the staff quite rude if you listen to them in Thai, but they don't keep me waiting.

I'm sure you folks are waiting, but I think I'd have to know more details before I said it was the Thai system at fault.

Final rule, after living in Asia for 20 years...always carry a book.

The difference is that once you have a green card, you don't have to check in with the gestapo every 90 days. You're good to go for 10 years and renewing it you don't have go to some sweaty hall and take a number. It might be more difficult to get into the U.S., but once in, you're not subject to such onerous rules as this land of paradise imposes on foreigners, even those who have a wife and children here, have steady work, support the community and everything else.