Five Hours In Line At Suan Plu

Possible to make the extension in any province?

I'm living in Bangkok and had the same problem when I made my 1 yr extension (maybe not people cheating, but anyway, I waited too long) 2 weeks ago.

Also the Suan Phlu facilities are completely obsolete (no car park!!!). Thais are not stupid and probably they have in mind to open another venue with more desks for the Immigration processes.

In the meanwhile: Is it possible for someone leaving in Bangkok to make the extension in Pattaya if he has the opportunity? I understood the queues are smaller there.

Also cheeky question, can you do 90 day reporting at the Bumrungrad Immigration desk (because it's near me) or is that just being far too lazy ?

No, you can't use the woman there. She's employed by the hospital, works on behalf of patients and their family members only. I found her very helpful mind, but would have to say she's way too overworked to deal with any processing not related to Bumrungrad.

I find the best thing to do is get there as early as possible.They open the doors at 8,when you can get a queue number.They won't see you until 8:30 or

so,but you will be one of the first there,and you will be served faster.Bring a book or newspaper.

Also cheeky question, can you do 90 day reporting at the Bumrungrad Immigration desk (because it's near me) or is that just being far too lazy ?

No, you can't use the woman there. She's employed by the hospital, works on behalf of patients and their family members only. I found her very helpful mind, but would have to say she's way too overworked to deal with any processing not related to Bumrungrad.

Ah well, I knew I was being a bit too lazy but worth asking, Can anyone point me (again) to the correct way to do this by post ? I know I have asked before but I just can't find it now I want to use it, Thanks.

I have been doing the check-in by post for several years now. It's great. The only time I have to go to Suan Plu is once a year to renew, and that's when I'm with the company's human resources person who's handling all the paperwork. No queues.

Here is the info sheet from Immigration:

THE DOCUMENTS TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS BY REGISTERED MAIL

1. Photocopy of the photo page of your passport
  2. Photocopy of your current visa (last visa) on your passport
  3. Photocopy of your Departure Card (T.M. 6)
  4. Photocopy of last entry stamp.
  5. Original of receipt of notification
  6. Original of your new 90-days registration form. Don't forget to sign your name. (T.M. 47)
  7. A stamped, self-addressed envelope to recieve your new receipt. (10 baht stamp attached).

Procedure:

Send registered mail to:

90 Days Registration

Room 206, Immigration Bureau

Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road

Sathorn, Bangkok 10120

Please allow at least 1 week for delivery of registered mail. Your new form will stamped as of the expiration date of your old form.

Important:

Your document cannot be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. You must come to the nearest Immigration Office or Room 206 Immigration Bureau in person to pay fine 2,000 baht.

To receive a blank registration form, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the address above. Request form T.M. 47.

Immigration Officer

TEL. 02 285 5142

It took me some trial and error to get this right.

One time I forgot to put stamps on the self-addressed, stamped envelope. They sent me back my new notice with a hand-written note saying "next time" next to that item on the checklist.

Another time I forgot to include the photo page of my passport. A couple of days before my date was due, a lady police colonel called me (I had included my mobile number on the T.M. 47 form) and said I should fax her the page. What a nice lady!

I also made the mistake of sending them a copy of the "original of receipt of notification". They want the original. Not a copy. It's the bottom, detachable portion of the form T.M. 47. That's what proves you've done your check in. I guess make a copy and keep the copy yourself, if you think it helps.

Registered mail is also for your own protection -- you have a receipt that you did your mailing.

A foolproof system I've worked out to so put all the passport photocopies on one sheet of A4 paper, front and back -- the photo/signature page, the page with the current visa (which could also be your last re-entry permit, which supersedes the visa), the Departure Card (T.M. 6) and the page with the latest entry stamp. I have these scanned in on the computer, and can reprint a copy if needed.

But, here's the kicker: They actually send me back the photocopies of my passport pages, so I can reuse them. Plus they send a fresh T.M. 47.

I have been doing the check-in by post for several years now. It's great. The only time I have to go to Suan Plu is once a year to renew, and that's when I'm with the company's human resources person who's handling all the paperwork. No queues.

Here is the info sheet from Immigration:

THE DOCUMENTS TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS BY REGISTERED MAIL

1. Photocopy of the photo page of your passport
  2. Photocopy of your current visa (last visa) on your passport
  3. Photocopy of your Departure Card (T.M. 6)
  4. Photocopy of last entry stamp.
  5. Original of receipt of notification
  6. Original of your new 90-days registration form. Don't forget to sign your name. (T.M. 47)
  7. A stamped, self-addressed envelope to recieve your new receipt. (10 baht stamp attached).

Procedure:

Send registered mail to:

90 Days Registration

Room 206, Immigration Bureau

Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road

Sathorn, Bangkok 10120

Please allow at least 1 week for delivery of registered mail. Your new form will stamped as of the expiration date of your old form.

Important:

Your document cannot be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. You must come to the nearest Immigration Office or Room 206 Immigration Bureau in person to pay fine 2,000 baht.

To receive a blank registration form, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the address above. Request form T.M. 47.

Immigration Officer

TEL. 02 285 5142

It took me some trial and error to get this right.

One time I forgot to put stamps on the self-addressed, stamped envelope. They sent me back my new notice with a hand-written note saying "next time" next to that item on the checklist.

Another time I forgot to include the photo page of my passport. A couple of days before my date was due, a lady police colonel called me (I had included my mobile number on the T.M. 47 form) and said I should fax her the page. What a nice lady!

I also made the mistake of sending them a copy of the "original of receipt of notification". They want the original. Not a copy. It's the bottom, detachable portion of the form T.M. 47. That's what proves you've done your check in. I guess make a copy and keep the copy yourself, if you think it helps.

Registered mail is also for your own protection -- you have a receipt that you did your mailing.

A foolproof system I've worked out to so put all the passport photocopies on one sheet of A4 paper, front and back -- the photo/signature page, the page with the current visa (which could also be your last re-entry permit, which supersedes the visa), the Departure Card (T.M. 6) and the page with the latest entry stamp. I have these scanned in on the computer, and can reprint a copy if needed.

But, here's the kicker: They actually send me back the photocopies of my passport pages, so I can reuse them. Plus they send a fresh T.M. 47.

Thanks a Million for that :-) Even though I've been here for sometime I have always thought twice about going the postal route incase I messed it up.

I wasn't sure if they wanted everything on seperate pages and all those silly questions so you answered all in one go :o

Again, Thanks

Appreciated.

Multiple edits because I cant spell today :-)

Edited by EmptyMind

Please explain how you obtain an appointment as I have never seen any such facility on the Immigration Web Site? Or are you confusing the re-entry email procedure?

I got an appointment once (rather it was a confirmation of my requested time slot) to get a 90 day confirmation stamp via an on line service that appears to have closed down for "refurbishment". Threre is an on line desk at Suan Plu but it always seems abandoned when I go there.

Not to nice, but why always assume it is bribe? There is no bribe. But people like you which ask how to bribe and are willing to bribe are the pest. My wife manages it in five to ten minutes.

It would take me maybe half an hour. Maybe try to be there real early have a nice breakfast and relax. I know the people in Suan Plu over 15 years and most are nice and helpful. Wish in some "falang" immigrations happens the same effective work.

Didi

I went to get my 1 year marriage visa extended. I arrived at 9:45am and there were 41 people in front of me. I had to wait until after 3pm!

It really pissed me off when it was almost my turn i went to stand near the desks and thats when i noticed what was going on.

Basically for each "queued" person there were about 3 other people coming up and (i'm assuming) somehow buying their way into the line (without a ticket number or ticket number that was like 50 places to go).

How is it that you go about bribing your way into the line? How much does it cost? Is this practice now common place?

I'd never noticed this going on before, but may because last year there was only an hour or so queue.

I went to get my 1 year marriage visa extended. I arrived at 9:45am and there were 41 people in front of me. I had to wait until after 3pm!

It really pissed me off when it was almost my turn i went to stand near the desks and thats when i noticed what was going on.

Basically for each "queued" person there were about 3 other people coming up and (i'm assuming) somehow buying their way into the line (without a ticket number or ticket number that was like 50 places to go).

How is it that you go about bribing your way into the line? How much does it cost? Is this practice now common place?

I'd never noticed this going on before, but may because last year there was only an hour or so queue.

Um..it does pay to get there early, about 30 minutes before the doors open. There is a queue however some people just slide up towards the front! I extended my Retirement Visa a few days earlier than you...it was a little slow..at least one hour..then got a re-entry permit, another 20 mintes.

I didn't see any queue jumping after tickets were issued. Certain desks deal with certain types of applications and your ticket should have said which desk.

I also arranged to get a 'proof of address' letter whilst there, for my 5-year driving licence..free letter!. Better than paying the British Embassy for one.

I also arranged to get a 'proof of address' letter whilst there, for my 5-year driving licence..free letter!. Better than paying the British Embassy for one.

How do you do that? I need that done too!!!

Edited by ctira

Um..it does pay to get there early, about 30 minutes before the doors open. There is a queue however some people just slide up towards the front! I extended my Retirement Visa a few days earlier than you...it was a little slow..at least one hour..then got a re-entry permit, another 20 mintes.

I didn't see any queue jumping after tickets were issued. Certain desks deal with certain types of applications and your ticket should have said which desk.

My dear lopuri3, I said "probably", and did not confirmed it because I never tried it. That what they posted on their notice board at the last time I been there, and to tell you the truth, I really do not use their services that often. However, I am sorry if I have offended somebody, but before accusing someone with malpractice, I felt that I should exhaust all other possibilities first. Have I nice day and thank you for your valuable advises and comments.

Why didn't you speak with an officer THERE? I have been in situations where I thought I needed a number, and then sat around as other people went to other lines unfettered. I then asked someone who worked at the place, and was told that <someone in my situation> didn't need a number and could go to the lines for people without a number. Sometimes, all you need to do is ask.

How do you do that? I need that done too!!!

Myself i use the Junta at the Town Hall in the next Village, When I moved to this area 4yrs ago registared there, so my name and address is now on there computer, I just go and ask for the letter of 'Proof of address' it is printed off in less then 5 mins + FREE... The only wait can be if the head of the department is not there as he/she is the only on that can put the big red seal on the letter, no problem as can go back the following day to pick the letter up..

Possible to make the extension in any province?

I'm living in Bangkok and had the same problem when I made my 1 yr extension (maybe not people cheating, but anyway, I waited too long) 2 weeks ago.

Also the Suan Phlu facilities are completely obsolete (no car park!!!). Thais are not stupid and probably they have in mind to open another venue with more desks for the Immigration processes.

In the meanwhile: Is it possible for someone leaving in Bangkok to make the extension in Pattaya if he has the opportunity? I understood the queues are smaller there.

You can park at the Post Office next door. Also, it appears the immigration will be moving to new gov office near Don Mueng later this year.

TH

...My dear lopuri3...before accusing someone with malpractice, I felt that I should exhaust all other possibilities first...

bjhabal, I am trying to make sense of your above post but without success.

You quote a post made by dave111223 and another one by John45 and then start your reply with “My dear lopuri3”

Another thing I do not understand: who is accusing whom of what type of malpractice?

--

Maestro

I

It certainly appears that way, I've recently had one of these experiences down at Suan Plu. In fact or not if the agents and lawyers are pushing in, there should be a separate desk for them at least, this would stop the 'pissed' feeling when seeing their antics.

Probably they got appointment through the immigration's website, as it is stated clearly on their advertising board at the immigration office that you can download the application forms and get an appointment. Check it out first because I think it is a bit difficult (not impossible) to bribe somebody here.

Please explain how you obtain an appointment as I have never seen any such facility on the Immigration Web Site? Or are you confusing the re-entry email procedure?

After searching the thread believe he has taken my above post as an accusation of some type rather than as a real request to know how you make an appointment as I have never heard of any such system. Or it may be about the thread itself. Not really sure but take it that he was trying to point out other factors that might account for the long delays.

Went with my wife to get here an extension of stay on her tourist visa this morning. Arrived around 7:45. Got in line. They opened the doors at 8:00. Everyone went for the information desk to get a number. We picked the wrong line. Had a guy a couple in front of us that had so many questions that the other two lines at the information desk were pretty much finished before we could get to the front to get a number. so much for getting there early :o

Luckily there were not that many people that were getting extensions of stays on tourist visas. We got number 207, got out of there at 9:15. Would have been earlier if the guy that slowed the line had a clue what he was doing and had not screwed up his stay.

Well lopburi3, It is not about you at all, It is about a simple statement posted by Dave 111 223.

quote:

(How is it that you go about bribing your way into the line? How much does it cost? Is this practice now common place?)

unquote

I know exactly what he meant and I am not saying that it is not true, but I was trying to find out if there were any other reasons for the delays?

That's all, and thank you again for your understanding specially in your last part of your reply to maestro.

Have a nice day both of you.

If everyone that visited 1st went to the web site or came on here to read what to do, then there would be no waiting..

This year was the 1st time I had to wait for 3 hrs, ALL the problems as I could see - people did not have the correct items/forms/copys....

Most of the over 50's the delays were the 3 months before money in Bank, 2 guys [seen them before 2 or 3 years ago] they were at the desk for almost 1 hr !!! one then the other had to keep going off to get copies, they were well over 50.. Myself I was at the desk 5mins I had everything ready + a few extra copies of things just in case.

Maybe if people turn up without the correct items they should be given there paperwork back and be told to get another number when they have the correct paperwork?

I went to the Suan Plu Immigration Bureau this past Monday to renew my annual visa. When I arrived and saw the enormous crowd there, I wanted to turn around and go home. Of course I didn't because why would it be any better on any other day? The wait gets worse every year.

This year I arrived at 11:16 and was not processed until 16:20 - likewise a 5+ hour wait. The actual processing only took about 15 minutes as I had all necessary documents. Unfortunately, I didn't finish the whole renewal procedure until 16:35, by which time it was already too late to do my re-entry permit because those people go home at 16:30. So I'll have to go back again to do my re-entry permit. And once again in a couple of weeks to do my (useless, unnecessary) 90-day reporting. Maybe I should get an apartment at the Immigration Bureau?

While I was waiting, I had plenty of time to talk to other people who were waiting - and during that time we were able to come up with several ideas to make the visa renewal process less painful. So if we, as mere "customers" could come up with ideas for improvement, why can't the people who do this every day do the same thing? I guess I know the answer to that one: They get paid the same no matter how long we have to wait.

...So I'll have to go back again to do my re-entry permit. And once again in a couple of weeks to do my (useless, unnecessary) 90-day reporting...

If you don’t travel outside Thailand before you need to do your address report you can wait with getting your re-entry permit until then.

--

Maestro