How Do You Feel When Someone Criticises Your Country?

ade100

Depends on if its legitimate criticism. Of that I have no problems with and enjoy the conversation that ensues. I will usually agree then point out a different good point of my culture and a negative point about the one were the criture comes from.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in London, England considered myself a true Londoner and years ago, there was no other place I wanted to be. But during the mid 1970s the London which I grew up in, disappeared and so did much of the rest of England, changed beyond all recognition.

For me, England has become a complete dump and even though I am a true patriot, I prefer to be patriotic from afar. I suppose if a foreigner was to slag off certain things about my country to me, I would get wound up, especially if it involved the Queen. Gould bless sa.

Nevertheless, the real test of loyalties to the old country is, if Thailand was to go to war with your home country, who would you fight for? In any sport, Thailand Vs Home country, who do you support? If the Thai government offered a Thai passport on condition that the home country citizenship is completely given up, would you accept it?

Like to see some replies to this, just out of interest.

I think there are alternative ways of looking at this:

For example if I was having a chat with an American and he/she began slagging off English people as a race or entity, than I would think the person is really having a go at me and take it personally, but to just generally criticize England's infra-structure than I would not be offended at all.

If Thailand were to offer Thai citizen ship on condition of totally annulling my home country, than this would be a moral dilemma. I am English, born in England. In the past, it gave me employment, housed me, fed me, health care and later provided two pensions that without them I would not have had the option to live in Thailand in the first place. So I probably wouldn't want to give up my ties with England for these reasons.

In any sporting event with Thailand Vs England, I would without doubt support Thailand as an appreciation to the Thai people for permitting me to stay here in which I can enjoy a good standard of living, respect and without too many restrictions.

In the event of a war between England and Thailand I probably wouldn’t be given an option on what side to show my loyalties. Would be interned as an enemy alien and either deported, imprisoned or worse. This happened to German, Italian and Japanese expats living in Britain during WW2, even to those that were born there.

Edited by distortedlink

criticism

I find that if people generalize there criticism it is hard to take. But if you can be specific about one individual and not a whole population other people tend to take it ok. I find that falang in Thailand tend to generalized about Thai's to much. It would make me angry. Its seems to be the thing now to criticis americans. I fined in general americans are very giving people. Such as aid around the world through charities. I don't appreciate the general criticism. If you want to bash Bush thats another story.

The moment anyone starts criticising a country by using the word "They" causes me to close my ears and move my mind to a happy place.

I am still amazed the majority of Americans believe the US has the best health care in the world.

They do have the best in the world, or at least near the top of the ranking. That is if you can afford it and have insurance. If you don't then it sucks big time.

Edited by jstumbo

I am still amazed the majority of Americans believe the US has the best health care in the world.

They do have the best in the world, or at least near the top of the ranking. That is if you can afford it and have insurance. If you don't then it sucks big time.

Have you seen Sicko? Even if you have insurance, there is a good chance it won't be honoured when you actually need it, according to Mike Moore and the many people interviewed. Top of what ranking? Did you know that the average lifespan in Cuba, (YES CUBA!), is longer than the good ol US? So, I would say, given the costs of insurance (which includes a huge whack for the inusurance costs of the docs, hospital and everyone else along the food chain) and the standards of health care available for the ordinary person in the street, is that the whole darn system "sucks" (in the words of you cute folks over the pond). :o

The last I heard the World Health Organization ranks the US in the 30s. Shameful. But true American patriots don't accept the opinions of international organizations, don't you know?

Extreme nationalism, like extreme religiosity, is a comfort to the unwashed masses.

I've always wondered, now that you bring it up...what makes the masses "unwashed?" :o

I suppose it refers to before indoor plumbing, but not sure.

In this case I am fairly certain Jingthing is referring to uneducated/undereducated people, largely because of the poor-and-getting-poorer educational system and also to the "black and white" attraction of fundamentalist religion. We often hear that Thais are not taught to think critically; IMO the same goes for a large proportion of Americans. Criticism is rampant (as is hypocrisy), but thinking critically is rather rare.

This is 100% correct, but I can't afford it. :o

Thai people are so brainwashed.

Make any slightly critical comment about their country and they will turn from nice to cold/agressive/unfriendly in a heartbeat. The validity of the comment is not even considered.

100% disagree.

To call the Thais brainwashed, is nothing less then silly.

I constantly have discussions with my friends here. Most of it is actually based upon me criticising something about the system here.

99% of the times, they actually agree with me, sometimes replying "yeah we know, but what to do?".

Case closed.

lol

I always make sure I criticise the system and its flaws. I never try to riddicule the Thais as people. I just have to accept that they sometimes have other (absolutely not logical to me) priorities in life.

It seems to hit at the heart when someone criticises our home country.

Personally I have not lived in the country I grew up in for over ten years. If someone criticises it, I might agree at first but after a while I have no choice but to defend it.

How do you feel when someone launches into criticism of your home country?

I think people only criticize countries that are involved (interfere) with international relations, and meddle in other countries' business.

As an American citizen, I think it's OK if people want to criticize my country, because they are only criticizing 1. foreign policy abroad, and/or 2. cultural homogenization (e.g. MTV, McDonald's, etc.).

And often (but not always) I do agree with their opinions.

Only my opinion as a Yank.

The last I heard the World Health Organization ranks the US in the 30s. Shameful. But true American patriots don't accept the opinions of international organizations, don't you know?

I agree, overall, the medical system in the US is not good. But if they looked just at the medical care that you can get if you can afford it, then it is among the best, definately not in the 30s.

I agree, overall, the medical system in the US is not good. But if they looked just at the medical care that you can get if you can afford it, then it is among the best, definately not in the 30s.

Of course. The rating reflect ACCESS. If you can't access it, you are DEAD.

Off topic, at least not what the OP initiated, but it seems to me that one of the problems of medical care in the US is that everybody sues the doctors (thank avaricious lawyers for that?) and that their professional insurance premiums are sky high as a result. These costs have to be passed on which means that personal medical insurance premiums are higher also. A bit like a dog chasing its own tail. What does tee me off is the over prescribing by doctors to ensure happy patients - or increase profits. Thais of course religiously follow the US lead. I insist on knowing what the doctor is about to prescribe and make sure that I pay only for healing medicines and not for palliatives for the symptoms. Its not rocket science to know that if you cure the disease then the symptoms disappear.

I believe it is the fervent wish of the civilised world tyhat the US electorate would stop putting friends of the Mafia, other freelance crooks and congenital idiots into the White House. I'm sorry to say that I think the UK is following such a fine example re occupancy of No.10.

Well, Close to 90% of Americans have insurance so it must not be too inaccessible

Dubya ruined my country. Almost all people outside the U.S. recognize this and a majority of U.S. residents do as well. I just hope his predecessor can repair some of the damage. :D

Who, Bill Clinton..... :o

Who? Jimmy Carter......... and list goes on, Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein .............

These people actually embarrass me.

Edited by Gonsalviz

It seems to hit at the heart when someone criticises our home country.

Personally I have not lived in the country I grew up in for over ten years. If someone criticises it, I might agree at first but after a while I have no choice but to defend it.

I know many Thai/Western couples were this is a problem. Could be either way round, but if we voice criticism of a person's country it seems certain to cause an emotional reaction (even if they actually agree with the criticism).

So how should we behave in a cross-cultural relationship? Is it best to keep quiet when we feel annoyed by something in our partner's country? Do we pretend their country is wonderful? Or maybe that's what forums like TV are for – give people an outlet for their frustration so they can keep it out of their relationship.

How do you feel when someone launches into criticism of your home country?

LOL what the USA, Bush is a total joke, has run the country into the ground, criticism doesn't bother me at all, this is part of the reason we moved here. I dislike most of the US policies, that they have to be the world police patrol, total *ull *hit, there are enough tragedy's going on right inside it's own boundaries, like homeless people, Mexicans over running the country, medical people can't afford, drug problems, aids, and on and on and on.

People say, "if you don't like it, then leave" I took it literally

Edited by Pundi64

Well, Close to 90% of Americans have insurance so it must not be too inaccessible

Nope. 15 percent. France beats the pants out of usa. France has the best health care in the world. America (37th way behind Columbia but ahead of 47th ranked THAILAND) isn't even close.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/07newsre...s/insurance.htm

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

Edited by Jingthing

I was taught that when you don't know a person political affiliation, it is impolite to discuss politics and religion, especially if it involves disparaging others. :D Usually when I found myself in the middle of that situation, :o I would get up and leave. I know it is rude but that what the way I repay him/her. :D

Nope. 15 percent. France beats the pants out of usa. France has the best health care in the world. America (37th way behind Columbia but ahead of 47th ranked THAILAND) isn't even close.

15% (about 45Million) of the people in the US do not have insurance. However,of that 15%...20-25% are not US citizens and include illegal aliens which brings the percent of US citizens with health insurance to about 90%.

I dont know about France and dont really care

Not sure how this rankings list was compiled, but I'm sure that access has a lot to do with it. If you're in need of serious care, well you're particular financial and medical situation are much more important than this list.

I had surgery almost two years ago here in Bangkok, which had to be done here because it was the result of an injury. It was done at a middle class hospital and even at a cost of 20,000 baht, it was a good deal and was done professionally. I've even known foreigners getting decent care at government hospitals under the old 30 baht plan. Generally, if the doctor's specialty is considered prestigious, the care is good.

After surgery in Bangkok, the after-care in physical therapy I received at two first class hospitals was a joke. It was cheap and cheerful considering, but I ended up going to Malaysia for care and was much happier for not much more money (Malaysia is ranked below Thailand by the WHO.) Many more Malaysian doctors are trained in Europe and the level of English spoken was much better than Thailand. I'd recommend that anyone that is injured in Thailand go to Malaysia for follow-up care.

If money were no object and I had a serious illness, I would go back to the US for medical care. Doctors here tend to prescribe too many drugs with bad side effects (I had some bad withdrawal symptoms from one medicine I was given and would refuse to take it again.) Doctors here also tend to hate being asked questions and that can be worrisome. Many universities in the US have doctors that are ranked #1 worldwide in a particular specialty and many foreigners that can afford it come to university hospitals or the Mayo clinic. While I've lived in the US, I've gotten some pretty poor care as well, but there is excellent care available unfortunately money is the deciding factor in getting it.

Not sure how this rankings list was compiled, but I'm sure that access has a lot to do with it. If you're in need of serious care, well you're particular financial and medical situation are much more important than this list.

If money were no object and I had a serious illness, I would go back to the US for medical care. Doctors here tend to prescribe too many drugs with bad side effects (I had some bad withdrawal symptoms from one medicine I was given and would refuse to take it again.) Doctors here also tend to hate being asked questions and that can be worrisome. Many universities in the US have doctors that are ranked #1 worldwide in a particular specialty and many foreigners that can afford it come to university hospitals or the Mayo clinic. While I've lived in the US, I've gotten some pretty poor care as well, but there is excellent care available unfortunately money is the deciding factor in getting it.

My post was not intended to compare US health care with that of any other country. I really wouldnt know based on my own experience. I havent had to have anything more than routine healthcare procedures in the US or any other country. I certainly wouldn't use the WHO list ( or a Michael Moore movie for that matter) as a guide in making my selection though if I had to choose and money was no object. I believe they are an agency of a larger agenda driven international organization.

I was simply making a factual statement that close to 90% of US citizens have health insurance. JT's CDC link basically confirms that. Although they say 85% rather than 90% , we have to remember that the US Govt is pro-illegal alien and like to include the 10-12 million of them in all statistics that should apply to it's citizens only The US Census Bureau link does break it down although. Anyway, this has drifted off topic.

No, I don't care if someone criticizes the US if it is focused and intelligent. They can't possibly hate the US Govt more than I do so have at it. On the other hand, the US is the most ethnically and religiously diverse country in the world so stereotyping it's 300 million citizens really just shows ignorance.