Overclocking My Asus Eeepc

KohKarrang

I bought this little thng about 2 weeks ago ad have loved it since, however, as i add more and more applications it has slowed down a bit, I upgraded to 2gb RAM and noticed a small improvement in the use of programs/apps but I still feel that it is not as fast as it was when I bought it.

I heard that the 900Mhz processor is clocked at 635Mhz so I investigated and found some software that makes overclocking possible for idiots like me...

The software is called eeectl and once installed it appears to do the hard work for you, however, don't totally understand the choices I'm given, one of them is this:

Stock (70Mhz)

Medium (85Mhz)

Full (100Mhz)

Call me stupid but isn't my processor supposed to be 900Mhz? And clocked at 635Mhz??

So are these 'Stock', 'Medium' & 'Full' fugures only the improvement to the processor speed or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

Has any of your downloaded and used this software and can you explain it a little better to me?

Thanks

That's your FSB. Since the xpu has a 9x multipler(takes your FSB-front side bus-and multiples it by that amount to get the CPU's speed), at stock your 70Mhz FSB times the multipler is going to net you 630mhz (more or less), at medium is going to net you a 765mhz clock, and full speed is going to get you your 900mhz.

Obviously you're going to be increasing the heat that the processor is putting out. I'm not sure what impact that will have on the cooling mechanism built in since I don't have that model. I'd imagine it should be fine. However, since you're increasing the FSB some 43%, everything is running faster and using more energy to do so. I'd imagine your battery life will decrease also. I'd leave the fan setting to automatic, unless running it at high all the time is not going to get on your nerves. When the computer gets too hot the fan should speed up until it cools the processor down enough to slow down again.

Hi

I do use Eeectl all the time, brilliant little program, but when you overclock your CPU, it does create more heat and reduce battery life.You can force the fan speed up or down , or just leave it on "native", which will automatically makes the fan auto-adjust.

You can tweak the settings in the .ini file associated with Eeectl, but be careful and only fiddle with that file if you know what you are doing. You can find tailor made .ini files on many blogs and forums .

Phil