Eric, The Biltong Man

SwaziBird

Yes, Eric where are you?

We met at Cricket sixes, I bought some of your biltong, you took my number (Roger).. give me a call please.

Of course, we wouldn't say no to some more of that biltong and/or boerewors :o

Hi

Yep I know Eric - his bilton is famous in these parts! I have forwarded him this link so he can contact you directly.

Regards

YL

Thank you Yorkshire Lass.

You do both my heart and my stomach good !

Eric, am waiting for the contact.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone

Eric is happy to give out his contact details as follows:

Mobile: 081 783633

Email: PLEASE CONTACT VIA PM FOR EMAIL ADDRESS

Message from Eric:

I will be making biltong soon ish - probably a week or so. Boerewors not for a few weeks.

Regards

YL

Thanks YL.

I'm drooling already. ( I imagine Woody is as well ).

I'm curious too !

What does a Yorkshire Lass know about biltong ?

Cheers.

Eric's been located, his correct phone number is 0817836332.

He might be down at Tuskers on friday nite, hopefully with biltong samples aplenty, for those wanting to give it a try.

I need no introduction to the best bar snack on earth :o

Thanks! :o Never heard of it in Holland.

It certainly sounds pretty delicious, though.

Nienke

Maybe as good as frickendelen..with curry fries..mummmm :D

with an ice cold Dommelisch and some bitteballen..( probably spelled that wrong, but sure tasty..from my days at the KNPV club in Helden..)

gpdjohn, I can only imagine what those are, and I wouldn't want them around in a food fight !

Frickendelen- a mystery meat weiner, a taste you gotta aquire..my cousin would never tell me what it was made of, said it would scare me.

Bitteballen - don't know what it was, a crispy outside shell with some gooey inards..another taste only a Dutchman could love, but after 'bout 20 Dommelisch with some decoys ( humans that dogs taste ) I grew to love 'em...and never asked what they were made of.

Ahh, the cold wet dreary nights in a KNPV clubhouse..fond memories for sure. :o

Thanks! :D Never heard of it in Holland.

Nienke

with an ice cold Dommelisch and some bitteballen..( probably spelled that wrong, but sure tasty..from my days at the KNPV club in Helden..)

A frikandel is not something I'm really fond of. It looks like a 'bere-lul' ....dunno if it tastes like one ... :o

Dommelsch is ok, but Grolsch or Heineken is better, IMHO.

Bitterballen and kroketten are absolutely fabulous delicous, especially with mustard. :D

Where is Helden?

Thanks! :D Never heard of it in Holland.

Nienke

A frikandel is not something I'm really fond of. It looks like a 'bere-lul' ....dunno if it tastes like one ... :o

Dommelsch is ok, but Grolsch or Heineken is better, IMHO.

Bitterballen and kroketten are absolutely fabulous delicous, especially with mustard. :D

Where is Helden?

Limburg

Close to Maasbree.

thanks for the info.

yes, the idea of more of that great biltong washed down with cold beer makes me drool.. (not a pretty sight)

by the way, if I plant it, will it grow..?

Only if you water it Woody !!!!

Cheers

BTW, thanks for the tip-off.

'SwaziBird'

It's good to know that there are at least a few "Yarpies" (??) on this forum. Brings back many memories.

Pantip

Pantip,

That's another good thing about biltong.

You don't have to, necessarily, be a "yarpie" to enjoy it !

I guess I'm a kind of "yarpie" having been born in Durban , received enlightenment (?) in Swaziland and "stopped over" in Australia for a mere 33 years before making the decision to settle in Chiang Mai where I can now chew on my beef biltong and die happy !

Woody has promised to plant some on my grave when the time comes.

Cheers

It is petty easy to make your own biltong

Ingredients:

Meat - game or domestic

rock salt

black pepper - coarse ground

dried coriander - ground

vinegar - perferably apple cider

Method:

cut the meat with the grain, into half inch (one cm) strips about 6 inches (15cm) long. Liberally spinkle rock salt on each side of the pieces and let stand for an hour. The longer you let them stand the saltier they will become.

After an hour scrape of the excess salt with a knife (don't wash it). Put some vinegar in a bowl and dip the strips for a second or two. Just so that the meat is covered in vinegar but not soaked. Hold the meat up over the bowl and allow the excess to drain off. Sprinkle the meat with ground pepper and gound coriander on all sided.

Once you have done this the meat is ready to dry. There are several methods of drying. One is to hang it on a line in a cool place and have a fan blow on it. The problem with this method is that if the weather is humid (like now) the meat can spoil. To prevent this the trick is to build a biltong box. This is a simple sealed wooden box - you can use cardboard while you decide to go to the effort of making wood if you like. Make a series of holes on the four sided and top. Through a hole in the top feed an electic cable and connect a 60watt incandesent light bulb. Hang the meat from the top and turn on the light. The heat from the bulb will dry the meat even in humid weather in about 3-4 days.

The theory behind this method is that hot air rises thus drying out the meat but not cooking it. The holes are important as the promote good air circulation in the box.

You can modify the method by drilling 1inch holes through the side and top of the box and sticking fly mesh over the holes to prevent insects infesting the meat.

CB