Nightlife In Bkk

girlx

i will be spending the next month in BKK taking a Thai course etc. and am wondering what is new in the nightlife arena (good restaurants, bars, nightclubs, art galleries, live music, poetry slams, whatever...) any tips? solo female friendly places appreciated especially.

i will be spending the next month in BKK taking a Thai course etc. and am wondering what is new in the nightlife arena (good restaurants, bars, nightclubs, art galleries, live music, poetry slams, whatever...) any tips? solo female friendly places appreciated especially.

There are a number of Bangkok groups on Facebook that send out invites and updates on various activities of the sorts you might be interested in. You might check that out.

What's your taste? Bars / clubs etc ?

A couple of guidelines might help people assist you...

i.e.

Pubs frequented by westerners: Molly Maloneys - Dublier - Witches Tavern (I seen some posts that indicate that some TV girls meet up there).

Clubs frequented by westerners: Bed - Q'bar - Santika

New Clubs which are Predominantly Thai and friendly: Curve - Block 9 - Lizm

Established Clubs which are Predominantly Thai and friendly: Escudo - Songsaleung - Booze - Prob bar RCA - Slim - Route

This is very brief - but hope it’s a starter for you.

girl x what course you doing I'm starting to look around myself. As to the nightlife, what nightlife? all the clubs shut at midnight although last I was at Spice it shut at 1am.

are they really shutting at midnight? i thought closing time was 2a now!

i know all the venues already, i have lived in bangkok before, just wondering if there are new events going on that i didn't know of. art galleries, poetry slams (is the about cafe still doing stuff?), live music jams, etc. not so into clubs anymore.

It has been midnight for over 2 months now and seems to be strictly enforced. Even hard core places lock doors and pull down shutters although a handful of regulars allowed to remain if watching football etc. I would also be interested in alternatives to Night clubs so interesting to see if anyone comes with anything

Have a look at BangkokRecorder.com - the site has a moderately up-to-date list of things going on around the city that might be of interest to you.

Read what you said about clubs, but maybe that's down to spending too much time on KPN listening to phoney "DJ's" playing the same *** night after night. For a bit of a refresher, Ferry Corsten will be playing in 808 on RCA on the 18th May. Personally looking forward to this one.

Try Twisted Republic in Sukhumvit Soi 11, it's one of the newest clubs, just opened a few months ago

opened without a proper liscence and is always first to be closed by the bib

Absolute <deleted> about things closing midnight for 2 months. Following places stay open til morning and have been every night for last two months:

spicy, spice club, boss 1, boss 2, the tunnel, OA disco, Luckys.

Following places open til 2am consistently:

Narcissus (currently being renovated), all of RCA (808, flix, route etc etc), ratchadaa, soi 22, that indian ethnic place which is a restaurant during the day, alll the way down 23 past glow etc. Not sure about silom as havent been out there for a while, except lucifers which was closing 2am last three times I went.

Then you have some places which are open at least until 1am, and often 2:30 - 3 if no police show, which includes twisted republic, bed, q bar, etc. Twisted republic is the only place which gets closed before 1 sometimes- some people say license issues, some say they dont pay off the police, some say its a personal issue.. blah blah

Anyway as for non club things, there are usually interesting posters advertising poetry and arty things in saxophone pub on victory monument, if you pop in for food at 6 or 7pm and check them out, they will also have some live music around then. Also you can check out the universities which might have student driven events going on, maybe you have some friends at uni.

p.s. Ferry corsten just played here in Jakarta at X2 - awesome club!

Absolute <deleted> about things closing midnight for 2 months. Following places stay open til morning and have been every night for last two months:

Yeah!! The midnight thing lasted about a month....Pretty much back to normal now.

There is a new Gazebo club on Ploenchit which is open late and really nice. 808 on RCA is new and gets "big name" DJ's. Twisted is newish, but the music is really loud and is generally not that great. Club culture on Payathai is good, but you need to choose a busy night. Also Q bar has just opened up an unpstairs bar, called "Q up" which is nice but pretty small.

As for current special nights at bars...

Dubliner (busy on Friday - live music) The Coyote bars are popular on ladies nights. Soi convent branch on a Wednesday and the Sukhumvit branch for Thursdays. Also the Witches Tavern has a good ladies night on Wednesday.

For non-drinking stuff, check out the Guru magasine (free in the Bangkok Post every Friday) for all the event listings, also the Big Chilli often lists this sort of thing. The Bulls Head has regular comedy/quiz nights etc.

Try Phra Atit Road for culture and lovely coffee houses with books and stuff, also little art galleries. Come off the Phra Atit Pier and turn left and cross the road. There's a myriad of cool shoplets, cafes, bookstalls and a super bar/restaurant called The Hemlock

Try Twisted Republic in Sukhumvit Soi 11, it's one of the newest clubs, just opened a few months ago

opened without a proper liscence and is always first to be closed by the bib

I've partied there until 2am for several nights in the past 2 weeks with no cops showing up. I don't care about their paperwork, I'm not there to check their licenses.