Flr How Strict Are They?

Hi,sorry if this subject has already been covered but have just found out that I havnt got the letters addressed to my wife at our home address for an FLR application and I'm in a panic.My thai wife Chinda and I were married in March 2006,her visa started 28th June 2006 and she landed in England July 26th and we have lived as man and wife at my home address.Chindas visa expires on June 26th 2008 so,I downloaded the ILR form from the gov.website.I didnt know anything about the living in the Uk test or ESOL course (which she attends at college twice a week but only at level 1)that they now require,so downloaded an FLR form and found they need letters addressed to her at our address spanning two years and we have very few,a letter from the dentist,I asked the college to confirm in writing that she attends an ESOL and addressed it to her,we have other college stuff with our address on,I will get in touch with utilities and ask them to change to joint names and ask for a statement,council tax bills have been binned like all the other letters we have been having over the last two years so the few letters we do have only span this month.So my question please is how much crap are we in? my wife is due with our first baby in October so have kept this to myself for the meantime,thanks M.

but have just found out that I havnt got the letters addressed to my wife at our home address for an FLR application and I'm in a panic.My thai wife Chinda and I were married in March 2006,her visa started 28th June 2006 and she landed in England July 26th and we have lived as man and wife at my home address

Found this response to a similar question from Scouse.

The BIA is looking for "official" letters; i.e. banks, utility companies, NHS, local authority etc. Failing anything else, you'll have to simply write back to them and state that the Immigration Rules do not require you to submit such documentation and you believe that you have demonstrated to the balance of probabilities that your relationship is genuine.

Scouse

I didnt know anything about the living in the Uk test or ESOL course (which she attends at college twice a week but only at level 1)

This forum is littered with posts regarding the LinUK test, have a look through them.

If it is L1, then it probably doesn't have Citizenship attached so you will have to take the test, there is a get out clause regarding being able to prove that you have risen a level, like passing L2 from L1, but I have never understood, or needed to understand, so cannot elaborate.

So my question please is how much crap are we in? my wife is due with our first baby in October so have kept this to myself for the meantime,thanks M.

If you feel you are in a compromised position, with limited time to address the situation, contact an OISC registered Agent, they can advise more proficiently than my limited knowledge.

Moss

Note 7 We need 20 letters or other documents addressed to you jointly or in both your names. If you do not have enough items

in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of

you. Examples of acceptable letters and documents are listed below. They must be originals.

Take note to you jointly or in both names ?

I think if you write a letter explaining the above you will be ok.Its a shame she had not moved up another level in her ESOL class.

As alluded to in a previous post of mine which Moss has quoted, what really matters is not so much what the UKBA expects you to provide, but what the law requires. The Immigration Rules state that you have to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine: they do not define how this is to be achieved. Consequently, if you are unable to submit the UKBA's self-prescribed amount of paperwork, that doesn't mean per se that your wife's application will be refused, providing that you can otherwise show the relationship is genuine.

Scouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to add on a reply - apologies!!

Just to agree with last two posts. We were struglling in March for documents - hubby had loads of bank statements but council tax was the only joint bill and an online electricity account (which I didn't know if they would take) so I added in holiday tickets from a trip to spain, a couch tour we went on and e-mail confirmations of flights to Italy. I had a covering letter which explained we did not have joint finances and the utilities would not make the accounts joint (which was true) and I composed and signed the letter as opposed to my hubby - highlighting I was heavily involved in the application.

We were fine and it was approved within the 4 weeks.

On another note - the Council may be able to provide back statements - I know the council I work for do.

Edited by caledonia