Appliance Brand To Avoid

thomast

After 17 years it was time to upgrade the Phuket home kitchen. Starting with a search for kitchen cupboards, led to a one stop shop. The kitchen cupboards of real wood, Malaysian made, have served perfectly for three years now, and still look and feek new. In the same shop was the Spanish made Fagor kitchen appliance agent.

The appliances were a nightmare. Fridge. After a few weeks of use, it started to ice up in the deep freeze compartment and then switch itself off. After much pleading with the shop, the experts arrived, and poured hot water on the frozen condensor in the deep freeze compartment. It worked, and they said, OK now. Then, sometimes it quit after a few days, sometimes after a few hours. I got tired of taking all the food out of the deep freeze, and melting the ice each time with hot water. The team came again and said, it is the circulating fan. Then, no it is the electronics not switching on the fan. Can you get new electronics, I asked. Yes, we will ask Bangkok. After a few days I chase them, they say, Bangkok no have. I said then give me a new fridge. That had them confused. We will have to ask Bangkok. Well do that, I said. They came back, Ok you can have a new Fridge, (how generous, I thought we may have to wait for new electronics from Spain) BUT, they say, Phuket no have, must come from Bangkok. Do you have a spare, I asked. No, they said. I had to buy another small emergency fridge. New one arrived 2 weeks later, the door and sides with dents. I said dents. Yes they said, rough ride on lorry from Bangkok. So, that now works fine. BTW, the old fridge having worked reliably for 14 years was donated to a tsunami victim.

Next cooker. The old gas/electric one, having been well used and trouble free for 16 years, had to give way to a new shiny Fagor gas/electric top. After no more than a few months use, the smaller gas burner melted, deformed and failed to burn correctly. Just outside your guarantee, sir, (tough luck, I thought, luckier with the fridge though!). New little burner cost over 1000 bt. After a few more months of use, the larger gas burner melts and deforms. I promise I am not doing experiments to try to melt titaniuml. Comment. Maybe your machine no good. I said its a Fagor, its your machine, and gas is gas is gas. Sorry, that is also out of guarantee. I know I said, but as it is the second time, dont you think that these are inferior materials you are using, for a simple gas burner to melt and deform, and maybe you give it to me for free. Okay she says, and I leave. I get a phone call next day and she says, you must pay, its out of guarantee. I said yesterdy you say OK, taday you say NO. Whazzamatta I ask? Out of guarantee, she insists. OK, get me another, I need to have it, but I will surely tell about this nonsense. But we will give you a 20% discount she pleads. Big deal. I say. Cost 1800 baht, before discount.

So if you are looking for a new kitchen appliance, that in this high tech age you would not only expect to function as designed, but also to be made of at least acceptable materials, then please dont be fooled by this shiny, stylish Made in Spain brand.

Edited by thomast

• 3 weeks later...
After 17 years it was time to upgrade the Phuket home kitchen. Starting with a search for kitchen cupboards, led to a one stop shop. The kitchen cupboards of real wood, Malaysian made, have served perfectly for three years now, and still look and feek new. In the same shop was the Spanish made Fagor kitchen appliance agent.

The appliances were a nightmare. Fridge. After a few weeks of use, it started to ice up in the deep freeze compartment and then switch itself off. After much pleading with the shop, the experts arrived, and poured hot water on the frozen condensor in the deep freeze compartment. It worked, and they said, OK now. Then, sometimes it quit after a few days, sometimes after a few hours. I got tired of taking all the food out of the deep freeze, and melting the ice each time with hot water. The team came again and said, it is the circulating fan. Then, no it is the electronics not switching on the fan. Can you get new electronics, I asked. Yes, we will ask Bangkok. After a few days I chase them, they say, Bangkok no have. I said then give me a new fridge. That had them confused. We will have to ask Bangkok. Well do that, I said. They came back, Ok you can have a new Fridge, (how generous, I thought we may have to wait for new electronics from Spain) BUT, they say, Phuket no have, must come from Bangkok. Do you have a spare, I asked. No, they said. I had to buy another small emergency fridge. New one arrived 2 weeks later, the door and sides with dents. I said dents. Yes they said, rough ride on lorry from Bangkok. So, that now works fine. BTW, the old fridge having worked reliably for 14 years was donated to a tsunami victim.

Next cooker. The old gas/electric one, having been well used and trouble free for 16 years, had to give way to a new shiny Fagor gas/electric top. After no more than a few months use, the smaller gas burner melted, deformed and failed to burn correctly. Just outside your guarantee, sir, (tough luck, I thought, luckier with the fridge though!). New little burner cost over 1000 bt. After a few more months of use, the larger gas burner melts and deforms. I promise I am not doing experiments to try to melt titaniuml. Comment. Maybe your machine no good. I said its a Fagor, its your machine, and gas is gas is gas. Sorry, that is also out of guarantee. I know I said, but as it is the second time, dont you think that these are inferior materials you are using, for a simple gas burner to melt and deform, and maybe you give it to me for free. Okay she says, and I leave. I get a phone call next day and she says, you must pay, its out of guarantee. I said yesterdy you say OK, taday you say NO. Whazzamatta I ask? Out of guarantee, she insists. OK, get me another, I need to have it, but I will surely tell about this nonsense. But we will give you a 20% discount she pleads. Big deal. I say. Cost 1800 baht, before discount.

So if you are looking for a new kitchen appliance, that in this high tech age you would not only expect to function as designed, but also to be made of at least acceptable materials, then please dont be fooled by this shiny, stylish Made in Spain brand.

Yeah, one of the major delays on the A380 was caused by the Spanish made tail section not fitting! :o

Similar problems with a Fagor gas / electric oven. The timer switch is kaput, and the oven fan does not turn off after the oven is switched off. Similarly just outside the warranty period... :o Will avoid if future.