Eva Air Elite/evergreen Deluxe Class

In my limited experience, it's as near to business class as makes little difference - certainly better seating and service compared to economy/cattle class....... so it takes some of the pain out of the flight...... less likely to have swawking babies nearby etc. But I paid a lower surcharge than that - 50% extra would get me wondering whether it's worth it.

And, of course, you'll get the afficionado's chiming in that of course, it's nothing like real business class on XYZ-Air....... :o

In my limited experience, it's as near to business class as makes little difference - certainly better seating and service compared to economy/cattle class....... so it takes some of the pain out of the flight...... less likely to have swawking babies nearby etc. But I paid a lower surcharge than that - 50% extra would get me wondering whether it's worth it.

And, of course, you'll get the afficionado's chiming in that of course, it's nothing like real business class on XYZ-Air....... :o

Thank you. Looking again at the prices - depending on the flight the surcharge seems to be roughly 25 - 50 per cent; i.e between 40/44K and 56/60K for October.

I think it's worth the extra. Business class is so much more to make it unfeasible for most people. If you're only on a two-week holiday, and can afford the difference, why lose 1-2 days of it recovering from the cattle class experience. At work, we want people to have a better holiday so offer it for just the extra it costs us with no mark up. Not everyone takes up the offer but the ones that do all appreciate it.

I used EGD between BKK and AMS, and yeah it's well worth it if you're a big guy. These seats aren't business class standard, they're hard as a rock, but for the less crowded cabin, and extra personal space it's worth every dollar and then some.

I always fly economy with EVA. Out of 12 EVA Air flights over the last couple of years i've had 4 flights that were nowhere near full. You can make a nice bed when you have 3 seats to yourself. Something you can't guarantee on, but nice when it happens. I believe the armrests etc between each seat in evergreen deluxe can't be moved so no way of laying down even if you have an empty seat next to you.

Flying to London from Bangkok by Eva Air, is the 50% additional price worth it for the Elite/Evergreen Deluxe class?

It looks good on their website, but is it as good in fact?

I recommend you do not buy these larger comfier seats. In fact I recommend you never fly EVA Air.

Why - because I always book the Elite class and they are getting harder to book. The less people who know about these seats the better :o

Well worth the extra money. Makes the whole trip a different experience. Bigger seats and if there just 2 of you then you have 2 seats on their own next to the window (compared to 3 seats in economy) - nice...

Have a nice trip.

Edited by dsfbrit

Thai Air has Business Class Singapore to London at 3600 SGD at the moment which is a good price - do not know if the same proces is available from BKK.

That is less than half proce of my Singapore airlines Business Class on the A380 in September

Flying to London from Bangkok by Eva Air, is the 50% additional price worth it for the Elite/Evergreen Deluxe class?

I recommend you do not buy these larger comfier seats. In fact I recommend you never fly EVA Air.

Why - because I always book the Elite class and they are getting harder to book. The less people who know about these seats the better :o

Well worth the extra money. Makes the whole trip a different experience. Bigger seats and if there just 2 of you then you have 2 seats on their own next to the window (compared to 3 seats in economy) - nice...

Have a nice trip.

:D:D funny.

But true, Elite seems to be the first to book up.

I pretty much only fly EVA between BKK and Los Angeles, and have flown both economy and Evergreen Deluxe with them multiple times...

I'm big and tall.. mostly tall at 6-7.... So, the ED seat is more comfortable, and the legroom is better. And, as someone mentioned, the side aisle seats are done in pairs of two, vs. trios in regular economy.

However, the food and the service and entertainment options -- whether on a 747 or 777 -- are pretty much the same in the two different classes of service.

As a member of EVA's frequent flyer program, I sometimes get the option to upgrade for $100 or $150 or a mileage deducation for the trans-Pacfic segment, when checking in at the counter. Or even better, sometimes a free upgrade if economy is overbooked. When I get those options, I'd always take Evergreen Deluxe...

But I pretty much never book an outright ticket as Evergreen Deluxe and pay the much higher ticket price. For that much extra, they'd need to do better for me than just have a somewhat bigger seat. And, as also noted above, the ED seats have fixed dividers between them, so they cannot be raised. The economy seats have dividers that can be raised and allow one to lay down, if no one is sitting in the other seats... Sadly, on the LA to Taipei flights...that rarely is the case.

The seats are significantly inferior to business class. They are both narrower and with less leg room, but are superior enough to economy for me to pay the difference.

I was going to make them my standard for LHR-BKK, but they messed me around over frequent flyer points and have a crap web site, so when I found a cheap business class ticket on Thai, I tried it and will use them if I can ever get a similar deal.

The main drawback for me with Elite class is that you still get the same treatment on the ground - no fast track and no lounge

I believe EVA has changed their mileage benefits for frequent flyers lately, as well as lowered their free check-in baggage allotments (reducing the maximum weight of each bag, not the number of checked bags).

But, regarding lounges, once you join their frequent flyer program (Evergreen Club), which anyone can do pretty much regardless of how often you fly, you become eligible for lounge and other benefits. Anyone flying internationally with EVA would quickly generate enough miles to qualify for using their lounges... which I've found to be very nice.

The Taipei and BKK ones, in particular, include unlimited free food and drink (including fresh cooked food) and free Internet access. The Taipei one includes available showers. Sadly, the Los Angeles one is the barest of the group, since EVA there shares some kind of communal lounge with a bunch of other airlines. In Taipei and BKK, EVA has their own individual lounge.

I'm a Gold Card member with them... the next to highest among their four levels -- and benefits include priority reservation service, priority ticket selection on wait listed flights, a free/extra third suitcase allowed for check-in luggage, and the ability to check in at any of their airport counters (business, first class, etc.) even when flying with an economy ticket.

The seats are significantly inferior to business class. They are both narrower and with less leg room, but are superior enough to economy for me to pay the difference.

I was going to make them my standard for LHR-BKK, but they messed me around over frequent flyer points and have a crap web site, so when I found a cheap business class ticket on Thai, I tried it and will use them if I can ever get a similar deal.

The main drawback for me with Elite class is that you still get the same treatment on the ground - no fast track and no lounge

I believe EVA has changed their mileage benefits for frequent flyers lately, as well as lowered their free check-in baggage allotments (reducing the maximum weight of each bag, not the number of checked bags).

But, regarding lounges, once you join their frequent flyer program (Evergreen Club), which anyone can do pretty much regardless of how often you fly, you become eligible for lounge and other benefits. Anyone flying internationally with EVA would quickly generate enough miles to qualify for using their lounges... which I've found to be very nice.

The Taipei and BKK ones, in particular, include unlimited free food and drink (including fresh cooked food) and free Internet access. The Taipei one includes available showers. Sadly, the Los Angeles one is the barest of the group, since EVA there shares some kind of communal lounge with a bunch of other airlines. In Taipei and BKK, EVA has their own individual lounge.

I'm a Gold Card member with them... the next to highest among their four levels -- and benefits include priority reservation service, priority ticket selection on wait listed flights, a free/extra third suitcase allowed for check-in luggage, and the ability to check in at any of their airport counters (business, first class, etc.) even when flying with an economy ticket.

Stop IT - STOP STOP STOP stop telling people how good EVA Air are.

Mods - stop this thread now. This is a secret I do not want shared :o

EVA Air are still really good.

Even with the Silver Membership, which I dropped to this year from Gold, I can still use the Lounge which enables me to have a nice shower, lots of good food and use the computers and the WIFI for free. Also at Heathrow I still get the priority fasttrack through passport control.

You are right though, the benefits have changed quite a lot recently and its got very hard to do certain seat upgrades unless you are at least a Gold member.

Edited by dsfbrit

Stop IT - STOP STOP STOP stop telling people how good EVA Air are.

Mods - stop this thread now. This is a secret I do not want shared :o

Other airlines are finally starting to take note... Eco/Dlx is catching on, some of us want a little better than the economy squeeze... nothing flash, just a tad more room than the regular Tokyo subway offering.

Other airlines are finally starting to take note... Eco/Dlx is catching on, some of us want a little better than the economy squeeze... nothing flash, just a tad more room than the regular Tokyo subway offering.

I wish Thai and Singapore would catch on, at least from London. That way I could fly on to Australia and get the Star Alliance miles and not have to fork out for business class to have enough leg room.

If it's leg room that you're after, then it's really not worth the extra you pay. Last time I flew back from BKK I upgraded to business class. Which was good.

Edited by Happy Hammer

If it's leg room that you're after, then it's really not worth the extra you pay. Last time I flew back from BKK I upgraded to business class. Which was good.

Not if you want to stretch right out. But if you just don't want the person in front reclining into your knees, it's worth it.

I'm 6'3" so that additional legroom is worth the extra $2-300 R/T. The 50% seems excessive, and must be on their website, which seems to have higher prices. Book through an agent who buys bulk wholesale and get a better price than the site.

:o

There are ways that one can get the benefit of a business class or deluxe economy seat without paying through the nose, but it requires patience and losts of internet digging;

a) If you have membership in the Evergreen FF you can get access to the special sales and discounts when you log onto the EVA website with your FF number. Often the cost can be several thousand baht less then the price quoted from a booking engine.

:o Try using one way flight segments. The cost differences will floor you. Here's an example. For next fall I have to fly to Toronto, Canada. If I use one of the large travel sites I can go on star alliance code shares BKK-NRT-YVR-YYZ for approx. $2200 USD. If I book the same ticket via Air Canada's webste the cost is in excess of $5000. (Discounted business). If I fly BKK-YVR on Eva using my FF logon the ticket is approx. $1850 CAD but if I use a big booking site it can be $2500 CAD. (Laurel class)

Do your legwork first and you can save a bundle.

Premium economy is more akin to the old style business class. Most airlines business class offering is now moving towards flat beds. Probably worth it if you get the fast track check in and lounges thrown in like BA but not sure it would justify 50% extra just for a slightly bigger seat

BA only let you use the lounge if you have silver or gold status in their Executive Club. WT+ is much better than WT but far inferior to Club World. Id say EVA Elite was generally better than WT+.

Edited by tw25rw

BA only let you use the lounge if you have silver or gold status in their Executive Club. WT+ is much better than WT but far inferior to Club World. Id say EVA Elite was generally better than WT+.

Eva Air are similar, you need at least a Silver status, which is getting harder to come by with their new rules. I sometimes upgrade from the Elite seat the OP has posted about, to the Premium seat (ie: Business Class). Despite the fact I like Eva Air

I am disappointed they are NOT flat bed seats. They seem to go flat(ish), but at an angle of about 30 degree??? so you slide out of it if you sleep :D . I have resorted to strapping myself in with the seatbelt very tightly. Last time I flew back from the UK, this resulted in me cutting off blood to some pretty important parts of my body whilst I slept :o Lesson learnt!

Yes you're right, my mistake. I thought if you'd paid that extra money at least they would give you access to the lounge but it seems not. The new Club World is in a different league

Eva Air are similar, you need at least a Silver status, which is getting harder to come by with their new rules. I sometimes upgrade from the Elite seat the OP has posted about, to the Premium seat (ie: Business Class). Despite the fact I like Eva Air

I am disappointed they are NOT flat bed seats. They seem to go flat(ish), but at an angle of about 30 degree??? so you slide out of it if you sleep :D . I have resorted to strapping myself in with the seatbelt very tightly. Last time I flew back from the UK, this resulted in me cutting off blood to some pretty important parts of my body whilst I slept :o Lesson learnt!

I had those tilted flat seats on Thai. I found they are ok if you open the foot rest out and rest your feet against them, but if you sleep on your back, you are better off not being fully extended, but more like a dentist chair.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to raise this again, as this has been discussed extensively and i'm not normally that fussy with flights but i'm just about to book an EVA London - BKK return and i notice the return leg is now using the 747s and not the new 777s. When i flew a few years ago the economy on the EVA 747s was not great (compared to the improved economy experience on their 777s). So have the 747s been refurbished recently? Their website is vague ..