How To Get My Company To Transfer Me To Thailand?

How to get my company to transfer me to Thailand? They got a small branch there. So what do I say? Hi boss, I would like to get transferred to Thailand? What if he responds, sure, here's your new salary package based on a Thai scale. I take a look and it's 25,000 BHT. Surely then I can't say, uhh, I would like to retain my salary not a Thai scale. Any good strategy?

Edited by stanny

How to get my company to transfer me to Thailand? They got a small branch there. So what do I say? Hi boss, I would like to get transferred to Thailand? What if he responds, sure, here's your new salary package based on a Thai scale. I take a look and it's 25,000 BHT. Surely then I can't say, uhh, I would like to retain my salary not a Thai scale. Any good strategy?

Buy the company. If you don't have the money: study Thai. :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I don't know if it can help, but that's the way a friend of mine negociated his transfert to Brasil.

First he checked the list of the customers of the company who had also office there. Before going there for holidays he packed his best suit and, when there, went to visit them all, explaining what good business relation they have in Europe and how smart it would be to developp the same relation here.

When back to Germany, he went to see his boss, told him how he intends to developp the business of the Brasil branch. Less than one year later he was transfered there :D .

Unfortunately, the end of the story is not so nice. He was so successful there than he was later promoted country manager ... in East Europe. And the next promotion will soon take him back to the German headquarter. :o

So now back to square one, but Argentina may be the next target.

Edited by Pierrot

You don’t say what your company’s business is and if the Thai branch office has any expats there now. But IMHO, best thing to do is to communicate to your management that you want an overseas assignment. Do not say specifically Thailand or even SEA. Once you become one of their expat employees and have done a few assignments, you will find it easier to maneuver yourself into a SEA assignment. Who knows, once you have lived in a couple of countries, you may find your burning desire to come to Thailand considerably reduced.

TH

Is your position the same as one they have in their Thai office?

If not how much do they like/want/need you in the company :o

Seriously though talk to the people in the Thai office - do not sound like you visist Thailand for the LBFMs/brown bunnies even if you do. Show the Thai's how much you know and like about their country.

When you visit go out for lunch with the Thai office employee's

As someone else said just talk about an ovesea's assignment - if someone mentioned directly to me he wanted to go to Thailand unless he already had a Thai wife and family he would probably not get the move. Thai's are better, cheaper and just as skilled and educated.

I could have had my position relocated to Thailand but chose not to - there are no foreigners at all in my particular SBU in Bangkok and thats probably for reason.

Ok ... If your boss asks why you want to work in Thailand (and he probably will) ... How would you respond ?

Naka.

Ok ... If your boss asks why you want to work in Thailand (and he probably will) ... How would you respond ?

Naka.

i suggest "curing sick buffaloes".