What Is Namliap?

chivo

There is a Thai dish (maybe even chinese in origin, not sure) called moo saap numliap...

I know moo saap is chopped pork, but the namliap is something similar to an olive, but cant quite make it out...

Beyond the guesses anyone know for sure?

Thank you kindly.

หมูสับ หนำเลี๊ยบ moo sap nam liap

Chinese olive with ground pork. Marinated ground pork sauteed with Chinese olives, garlic and pepper.

หนำเลี๊ยบ is a pickled black olive.

If I am not mistaken, Namliap is related to the Pili Nut which grows in abundance in Southern Luzon Island in the Philippine archipelago. The tree on which it grows can reach heights of 15 meters. The pericarp has a pungent or resinous smell the the stone on the Namliap seed has no endocarp (no nut). A pili nut on the other hand would have which is a delicacy in the Philippines.

You could find Namliap at Big C or any Chinese grocery. Comes in two can sizes which is colored red or somewhat dark orange - can't recall exactly now. I use it as a topping for pizza.

หนำเลียบ can be used to make either the ข้าวผัดหนำเลี้ยบ (khaopahd namliab), which is the fried rice, or หมูัผัดหนำเลี้ยบ (moo pahd namliab), which is pork stir-fried with namliab.

The fried rice (pics & recipe - in Thai):

post-16001-1210935456_thumb.jpgpost-16001-1210935468_thumb.jpg

The stir-fry (pics & recipe - in Thai):

post-16001-1210935650_thumb.jpgpost-16001-1210935658_thumb.jpg

You could find Namliap at Big C or any Chinese grocery. Comes in two can sizes which is colored red or somewhat dark orange - can't recall exactly now. I use it as a topping for pizza.

Is this what you're talking about?

post-16001-1210935713_thumb.jpgpost-16001-1210935640_thumb.jpg