Visiting Ubon In June

rob3996

Greetings,

I will be visiting Ubon June 2nd thru June 23rd, been to Thailand 6 times now but never been to Ubon. Did alittle bit of research and decided to pay Ubon a visit. I did some research on hotels and am looking at Tohsang, Sri Isan and also Wrong Way.

I believe the owner of WW is Rich - I emailed him to see if he has any rooms available. I am from the USA, 23 year military veteran considering spending more time in Thailand in the near future. Been to Pattaya, Udon Thani and Nong Khai - all of them had their good and bad.

I hope to run into some expats while in Ubon and hopefully get some insight into the area. Well take care all and any replies will be answered. Thanks! Robert R.

Greetings,

I will be visiting Ubon June 2nd thru June 23rd, been to Thailand 6 times now but never been to Ubon. Did alittle bit of research and decided to pay Ubon a visit. I did some research on hotels and am looking at Tohsang, Sri Isan and also Wrong Way.

I believe the owner of WW is Rich - I emailed him to see if he has any rooms available. I am from the USA, 23 year military veteran considering spending more time in Thailand in the near future. Been to Pattaya, Udon Thani and Nong Khai - all of them had their good and bad.

I hope to run into some expats while in Ubon and hopefully get some insight into the area. Well take care all and any replies will be answered. Thanks! Robert R.

I would also take a look at Nevada Grand and Laithong hotel. Nevada beeing my favourite is 1000 baht, and have several restaurants, night venues, etc. nearby.

Both Tohsang and Laithong are 1200 baht, but a little bit away from the action.

WrongWay (did'nt know the owner was rich :o ) is the main venue to meet expats, and there are OK rooms (aircon/hot water/cable tv) just behind for around 400 baht.

Another place to meet local expats in Ubon city is N'Joy, a small bar run by the wife of Loui (Aussie), and located at the end of same road as Tohsang Hotel, and thus a little off centre.

Richard & Ting in WrongWay, and Loui & Eet in N'Joy will provide you with valuable info about Ubon city and surroundings.

Have a nice stay - and maybe we'll catch up as well :D

post-18138-1210578302_thumb.jpgpost-18138-1210578316_thumb.jpg

Greetings,

I would also take a look at Nevada Grand and Laithong hotel. Nevada beeing my favourite is 1000 baht, and have several restaurants, night venues, etc. nearby.

Both Tohsang and Laithong are 1200 baht, but a little bit away from the action.

WrongWay (did'nt know the owner was rich :o ) is the main venue to meet expats, and there are OK rooms (aircon/hot water/cable tv) just behind for around 400 baht.

Another place to meet local expats in Ubon city is N'Joy, a small bar run by the wife of Loui (Aussie), and located at the end of same road as Tohsang Hotel, and thus a little off centre.

Richard & Ting in WrongWay, and Loui & Eet in N'Joy will provide you with valuable info about Ubon city and surroundings.

Have a nice stay - and maybe we'll catch up as well :D

Hi Rob,

I just spent to long writing a reply to your post and got timed out so this time, I will just say that Ubon is really worth visiting.

Food for me was a problem eg. breakfast and lunch.

Wrong Way has great food.

Was told that Laithong has good breakfasts ( and breakfasts are hard to find in Ubon if you like Farang food ).

Close to Laos.

Has a beautifull river running through te middle of it and Mea Khong not far.

I will try to post a couple of pics of the rooms behind wrong Way.

Also you can search the posts on Thaivisa using the search box at the top of the page.

Try Ubon or Wrong Way. I have posted allready.

All the best.

Bergen, Ubon and Vegemite;

Thanks for responding to my post. Vegemite - appreciate the pics of WW rooms. Im going to assume all of the rooms at least have a locker to hang clothes in? I heard back from Rich and will most likely go with WW for accomodations. Curious what the difference is between the rooms for 450 and the ones for 350. Either way its a hel_l of a bargain.

Some other basic question I have:

1. I love to work out with free weights and machines. Are there any places around for this? I hear in Warin there is a nice fitness center? Is that correct.

2. What proximity to WW are the major shopping centers? How is the transportation around Ubon. I assume it is easy and simple.

3. Is there a bus station nearby, if so does it go to alot of places such as Khon Kaen and Korat. What about the train? I hear that is quite nice.

4. Sounds like the nightlife venues are WW, N'JOY and the Nevada Grand area. Is this correct? Not a big drinker but im human and I like to go out and have some fun.

Thanks in advance for giving me good tips and info. I will definintly be more than happy to buy several rounds for all of those that took the time to respond. Take care. Rob

Bergen, Ubon and Vegemite;

Thanks for responding to my post. Vegemite - appreciate the pics of WW rooms. Im going to assume all of the rooms at least have a locker to hang clothes in? I heard back from Rich and will most likely go with WW for accomodations. Curious what the difference is between the rooms for 450 and the ones for 350. Either way its a hel_l of a bargain.

Some other basic question I have:

1. I love to work out with free weights and machines. Are there any places around for this? I hear in Warin there is a nice fitness center? Is that correct.

2. What proximity to WW are the major shopping centers? How is the transportation around Ubon. I assume it is easy and simple.

3. Is there a bus station nearby, if so does it go to alot of places such as Khon Kaen and Korat. What about the train? I hear that is quite nice.

4. Sounds like the nightlife venues are WW, N'JOY and the Nevada Grand area. Is this correct? Not a big drinker but im human and I like to go out and have some fun.

Thanks in advance for giving me good tips and info. I will definintly be more than happy to buy several rounds for all of those that took the time to respond. Take care. Rob

1.Heard about this place in Warin, sorry can't tell you any more :D

2. You can easily walk to Robinson and Sk, while Tesco, Big C and Makro are a tuktuk drive away, (unless you want to walk as a part of your working out) :o

3a. Bus staion is near Big C, and the routes will take you to all major cities north of Bkk.

b. Trainstation is in Waring, - I've taken the train to/from Bkk several times and I like it :D

4. Not much nightlife in N'Joy as the crowd seems to be there at daytime.

WrongWay have more people at all times, and when they close at midnight, it's easy to follow some of the farangs to places like Zodiac/The Rock in Nevada Grand Hotel, Swing Party House in Chayangkun rd., Felize in Phatumrat Hotel, or other various karaoke/night venues that comes to life late in the evening. :D

All the best!

I have visited the gym/fitness centre in Warin two times and the equipment is vey good on several floors with both free weights and machines. However, I had trouble finding the place and it can be difficult to navigate if not familiar with the area. Personally I would go to the Ubon Sports College opposite Tesco/Lotus which has much more serious equipment and free weights. Easy to find and much bigger inside. I heard it gets very busy in the evenings...

also take a look around the Nong Bua park next to BigC which has alot of people running, doing areobics and playing basketball etc... in the evenings. Another place for people wanting to feep fit.

Thanks again Gents,

Info beforehand is much appreciated. Nice to hear that there is a nice facility to work out. When I was in Udon last year - there was virtually nothing as far as a decent gym. Basically just a hotel with little equipment. I would rather sacrifice some nitelife for a place that has a nice place to get a good workout.

I decided to stay at the WW, dont need anything fancy, figure this is the best option for me if I want to learn as much possible during my visit. Couple other items im curious about.

Quality of the Internet in Ubon - Take it that ADSL is available?

Seems to be a fair amount of ex-pats. Curious what the under 50 folks do as far as Visa is concerned.

General cost of living. I realize it varies for each individual. From what I read it seems as though 60k to 80k will afford a decent quality of life.

English - Do many of the Ubon folks speak it? Is there a local place to take a basic language course?

Cant think of anything else for now. If I do I will ask. Once again "Thanks" for the responses. I look forward to meeting all of you over a nice cold beer.

Krungthong Hotel has been recently upgraded & the rooms are much better than those shown in the fotos above. The bathrooms are spotless.

There is a restaurant there & a "turkey bath" :o

A few blocks away is a nice big park with exercise equipment, basketball court, jogging track & foot massage. The sign says food massage..

Close to the hotel are plenty of food places & a group of net cafes at 10 baht per hour.

This area is fairly close to the river

Lots of people speak English. Even in small food shops. Much more than in the north. Some people speak vietnamese but not Thai.

Its easy to go to Laos at Chong Mek to get a new visa.