Techie Problem

Krupnik

Hi, sorry I know I probably sound stupid but the battery light on my laptop has been flashing red for a while now and if I pull the plug out it automatically all switches off, even though I have left it charging, but it won’t charge anymore apparently as I get this error message when I first switch on saying the battery cannot be identified and therefore cannot charge this system (or something) – but I haven’t done anything with the battery since I bought the laptop – any ideas?

If not can anyone recommend a computer shop in CM I could take it to, to ask?

Thanks!

Hi, sorry I know I probably sound stupid but the battery light on my laptop has been flashing red for a while now and if I pull the plug out it automatically all switches off, even though I have left it charging, but it won't charge anymore apparently as I get this error message when I first switch on saying the battery cannot be identified and therefore cannot charge this system (or something) – but I haven't done anything with the battery since I bought the laptop – any ideas?

Thanks!

Mine does the same can only use it when plugged in i think the battery is shot and this is the second battery I have installed something to do with short charging maybe

Try spraying a bit of WD-40 onto/into the contacts of the battery connector then see if it will take a charge. This is a pretty moist environment and I have used WD-40 many times over the years for such things as RAM chips and peripheral input plugs. It is not only dielectric, it is a great contact cleaner and moisture dispellant.

If it still will not charge, remove the battery and take it to one of the computer complexes to see if someone has a match. Remember to write down the make and model of your laptop.

All batteries have a limited lifespan, my laptop's one died in less than 2 years and I have found a replacement on internet very easily.

If you laptop brand is mainstream, and if it is not too old, you may find one in some computer shop.

It also seems that leaving the AC charger connected all the time is not very good, better remove the battery if you are home and using main....

Phil

Hi, sorry I know I probably sound stupid but the battery light on my laptop has been flashing red for a while now and if I pull the plug out it automatically all switches off, even though I have left it charging, but it won’t charge anymore apparently as I get this error message when I first switch on saying the battery cannot be identified and therefore cannot charge this system (or something) – but I haven’t done anything with the battery since I bought the laptop – any ideas?

Thanks!

When did you buy your laptop? In my opinion almost all modern laptops are past their use-by-date after 2 years........3 max.

What you buy today is superceded tomorrow. You can replace your battery to get some more time out of the poor old thing but your CPU is going to old and slow as well every other bit of hardware on the old thing being obsolete.

IMO again it is best to go and spend 50,000 baht every other year to keep up with technology. You might be able to sell your obsolete laptop to a backpacker or English teacher for a few thousand baht.

Edited by Blinky Bill

When did you buy your laptop? In my opinion almost all modern laptops are past their use-by-date after 2 years........3 max.

What you buy today is superceded tomorrow. You can replace your battery to get some more time out of the poor old thing but your CPU is going to old and slow as well every other bit of hardware on the old thing being obsolete.

IMO again it is best to go and spend 50,000 baht every other year to keep up with technology. You might be able to sell your obsolete laptop to a backpacker or English teacher for a few thousand baht.

My poor old thing works just fine only the battery is dead other than that I am sure I can get another 10 years out of it and save 250,000 baht

My poor old thing works just fine only the battery is dead other than that I am sure I can get another 10 years out of it and save 250,000 baht

The largest electronics shop in Chiangmai is Amon (? I think that's how it is spelled). It is on Huay Kaeo Road, just 'upstream' from the Erawan Gate intersection with Chang Phueak road. It is on the left side of the ICOM computer plaza (*there are two computer plazas next to each other and I get them mixed up so any old chiangmai hands please correct me if I got it wrong).

When you walk in the front door almost straight ahead a few meters will be a rectangular 'island' of waist high glass cases with sales staff behind them. The cases contain all sorts of batteries and other related stuff. They used to take your old laptop battery, split the case, replace the batteries, seal it up and give it back good as new for a few thousand baht. I don't know if they still do, but it is worth stopping by to ask (few of the staff speak english, but if you have the battery pack there isn't much to say, if they can fix it they will quote you a price and tell you when to pick it up). If not they probably can get you a replacement. If it ends up replacement time, then just get a quote and go look around the two computer plazas as you should be able to get a few quotes from other shops.

Shops come and go all the time but in ICOM once you get to the inside area, down the small flight of stairs and a little to the right there should be a shop with big signs saying SkyNet. They used to specialize somewhat in laptops before they switched over to wireless products, and that is where I used to take my laptop. Don't know if they still do work on them or not, but they might be able to give advice.

*As an aside, the Amon battery place is where to go if you need to replace the battery in your UPS, as they carry a stock of the most common types.

All batteries have a limited lifespan, my laptop's one died in less than 2 years and I have found a replacement on internet very easily.

If you laptop brand is mainstream, and if it is not too old, you may find one in some computer shop.

It also seems that leaving the AC charger connected all the time is not very good, better remove the battery if you are home and using main....

Phil

I agree! Remove the battery if you are at home and don't need it!

I also think it is important to potect your computer from surges and such, by using a UPS or a very good bar that filters out the surges.

Defragment your HD every 6 months.

Do not move the laptop when it is running or bump into it. I had an old P1 destop running for 10 years until a few months after I transported by car somewhere the original HD died on me. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Use free anti-spyware programs that will prevent spyware to slow down your computer.

My Toshiba Satellite (2 y.) has been a very good buy so far, with XP and 1 gb of ram.

I agree! Remove the battery if you are at home and don't need it!

I also think it is important to potect your computer from surges and such, by using a UPS or a very good bar that filters out the surges.

Defragment your HD every 6 months.

Do not move the laptop when it is running or bump into it. I had an old P1 destop running for 10 years until a few months after I transported by car somewhere the original HD died on me. Coincidence? I don't think so.

There is no reason to remove a laptop battery when at home. In fact, it will keep your computer running during a power failure and protect Windows from being shut down without going through the normal shutdown procedure which will eventually corrupt Windows. Power failures are relatively frequent where I live and it is nice to have that extra four hours of use even while the electric is off.

About every two months or so, unplug from electric power and work the battery down until it gets to about 10% then reconnect to power and allow it to fully charge. Newer batteries do not have a memory but the computer's internal power meter does and draining the battery down then recharging assures that you will get the full use out of it when you need it.

Defragmentation has nothing to do with a laptop battery and every six months is a bit arbitrary. I defrag every two weeks or so or whenever I either install or remove a program.

A quality UPS is always a good idea.

It is highly unlikely that your hard drive failed due to a move a few months prior. When accomplishing a move or even packing your laptop into a case when you travel, lock the hard drive to protect it from shock damage.