1am Closing - Update

TravelFrog

In phuket, yes, all the main stream bars are being closed at 1am.

I was kicked out of a bar by the boys in brown on saturday night, 1:15am :D

Of course, as with everywhere in the world, there are places to go, if you know where :o

I still can't get over how much 'crazy' Bangkok is changing.

I was in Singapore a few days ago and was surprised to find loads of really cool bars open until 6am and one bar advertising a 7am closing time..! Bar top dancing has just been legalised too..!

Never thought I would see the day when Singapores nightlife would become more lively than BKK's.

Maybe things will change in Thailand next year atfer elections? What do you think?

Cheers.

T.

Isn't this a good thing for the sex-pats of Thailand? After all it just means that there will be lots more bar girls touting for business outside the Nana & along Sukhumvit an hour earlier than usual. An extra hour of shagging can be had by all.

Phuket Bars will be closed today and a major (10,000 plus people I am told) rally will be held outside the governors office. The Phuketians are starting to "strike" and close down Patong and other areas. Will this help?, we will see.

The writing is on the wall and has been for some time. This government does not want the sex tourist here anymore and the early closing (now 1-00am in Pattaya) is designed to cut the profits of the bars and eventually drive them out of business.

The closing times will eventually get earlier and earlier and be more and more rigidly enforced. My advice (for what it's worth) is, get all the fun you can whilst it's still around. It ain't gonna last much longer.

IMHO - for now the closing times will be enforced... but only until the money gets into the right hands... chanelled to the right place... :o maybe I'm wrong..

davethailand - Would you consider doing the same as they are in Phuket, close down in protest.... especially if it gets results in Phuket...?

totster :D

IMHO - for now the closing times will be enforced... but only until the money gets into the right hands... chanelled to the right place... :o maybe I'm wrong..

davethailand - Would you consider doing the same as they are in Phuket, close down in protest.... especially if it gets results in Phuket...?

Only if the majority did so also, I would'nt follow a just a group of expat owned bars.

nothing personal meant by that but i have to protest my future interests, my place has a chance of surviving even if all the sexy stuff disappears. :D

Only if the majority did so also, I would'nt follow a just a group of expat owned bars.

nothing personal meant by that but i have to protest my future interests, my place has a chance of surviving even if all the sexy stuff disappears. :D

I understand what you mean fully.... it's gotta be all or 90% of owners that do it for it to work anyway...

Regarding surviving... your bar in it's present location must get a lot of "walk in" customers from the surrounding bars, must account for large percentage of people who come in for the first time... without these bars you wouldn't get that . :o

BTW - I know your place has a good reputation but first time customers have gotta come from somewhere. :D

Agreed. it was enforced over the weekend because bkk folk were here, sunday night proves that as the police were in walking st at 145am, so was all the outside music.

alot of my customers are from word of mouth and friends recommendations , the bars outside my place are empty up until 1am ish, and after 2am the customers from us normally fill the bar outside.

Its true though totster, the punters get their girls and then come to my place.

Last week I had friends over from Ireland and they stayed late in my restaurant on Suk 23. It was 5am and we were still talking about old times when the boys in brown dropped in to see what was going on. All very polite and I explained that they were friends from Ireland and it was my restaurant, no money changing hands etc and they were completely cool about it. Just asked us to wind things up before the sun came up!

Then after the United game on Sunday (2:0) we were in the Irish bar on Convent..... then went to Soi 4 which closed promptly at 1am. Then we just found a pool bar that doesnt close and partied on until 6am......

As someone said before..... its all possible if you know who and where!

But on Monday I was wishing that I had followed Toxins advice and gone home at 1am..... whata hangover!

I would like to give my thanks and the thanks of others here in Pty to the guys and gals who are sacrificing their time and money on behalf of the industry to get this mess sorted out. May all your efforts not go in vain. Great start.