Work Permit / Visa Relationship

Hi, just a quick scenario.

I am currently working with a Non Immigrant B and Work Permit. If I resign, the work permit will obviously be cancelled. So my question is what will be the status of the Non Immigrant B Visa? Will it expire as soon as the work permit has been cancelled or will it be valid until its stated expiry date?

I guess it will be still valid, but I will need to leave thailand every 3 months because it's not tied to a work permit right?

Thanks for any help

I had a 3-year WP and 3-year B-visa while with my former employer. Once I handed in the WP my B-visa was rescinded as well.

As Kenkannif rightly mentioned, you have a limited time to replace your visa. I was given 14 days with an option to extend for an additional 7 days.

No, if the (I assume) year activation period is still valid on your multipe entry Non-imm B you'll just need to exit and re-enter to get a further 90 days. If the year activation period is up, then yeah you'll either need to go out and get a new Visa or just do a 30 day border run!

Different rules for the multi entry visa. If you had not extended, you do not lose this visa when your WP is terminated. The visa will be valid until its stated expiry date.

However with the extension of stay permit based on business.... With that permit, when your WP is terminated, so is your permit.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Okay lets try to explain it simply.

You'll LOSE you current extension (i.e. the extension you got after you obtained your WP).

BUT when you get a multiple Non-imm B you get an activation period to use it within (usually a year or 366 days in the UK from when you got it!). So if the actual Non-imm B sticker/stamp that you obtained from the Embassy/Consualte it still valid (i.e. you got it on 25th October 2004 and you can obtain 90 days every and any time you enter Thailand until 24th October 2005) then you JUST have to exit and re-enter to get 90 days! BUT the actual Visa you're on now (i.e. the stamp they either gave you on entry, or in your case more likely the extension stamp you got at Imm) then you'll only have 7-14 days (after your work permit has been cancelled/handed in) to leave the country and either get a new entry of 90 days if your year activation period is still valid, or if it's not you'll only get 30 days unless you go to an Embassy or Consulate to get a longer Visa.

So yes you'll have to leave and re-enter either way!

Oh nice, that clears it up. I was just worried that when the WP is canceled then that might cancel the visa too. But it appear I can still use the current visa until the activation date expires making sure I leave the country every 90 days. (and 7-14 days after the initial WP cancelation)

Thanks for your input.

If you never applied for the extension on a multi entry visa, you will not lose the current 90 days visa you're on and you will NOT have to leave in 10-14 days. Your WP termination will simply not have any affect, as no extension was given based on employment. I have never seen a case that was different on a multi entry 90 day visa runner.

If you had extended the 90 day visa based on employment to a one year stay permit, then its time to cross the border.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Yes, sorry my bad, if you as SBA says didn't get the extension (and just got 90 days on entry) then mai pen rai!

But as it seems you did a moot point!

I'm pleased it's all clear now. I forget how easy it is for people who already know the score and I'll try to explain in more details in future!