Evaluate My Photo

Who, me ?

On a holiday snap level this photo is good but the one out of the rear of the boat is flat and without much interest.

On a more personal professional level I feel this photo needs to be cropped as it's too top heavy, the natural light is wrong and would have placed the subject into a different light.

I hope that's of some help.

C

It is a very interesting face, but the background is far too distracting.

A different angle to give a cleaner background,

and a longer lens with wide aperture would help throw the background out of focus.

Like you had in the red/green shot.

thanks all. Appreciate your comments !

Noted the use of longer lens.....

BTW....I usually have the 18-55 on my camera, and 55-200 in the bag. When I wander around, which one is better ? Or any other option ?

Thanks

WM

Yes You !!!

I use adobe camera raw program for quick editing of my jpeg, tiff and raw photos. Its basically the editing program included with Adobe Lightroom. Its very handy for spotting those areas that have lost detail because of excessive white or black. Your subject's left arm is way too white and has absolutely no detail. Too big a problem for me to correct in photoshop. These situations are not always easy to spot when shooting. Perhaps someone also can share how to spot this before shooting and how to avoid it.

I have a new Nikon d80 with an 18 to 200 mm lens, great range and decent lens. I don't like it because it does not have a vibration reduction mechanism and is too long to hang from my neck while walking. The length is the problem, I'm afraid of banging it. I just bought a 70 to 300 mm lens with the vibration reduction and am very happy with the quality. The lens is longer than the original and am in even more danger of banging it. However, I hope to soon buy the 28 to 55 mm lens, also with vibration control. I expect that this will be my standard working lens and because it is short and stubby I will have less chance of banging it while walking. I understand that should cover most normal shooting conditions and expect 75 % of my picture will be with this lens. I just have to resist the fun of using a 300 mm telephoto for everyday shots.

I too am anxious to here what others have to say.

With a shot like that you are better off with the 55-200mm

Easier to loose the background, and you can stand further away,

then the subject does not always realise the shot is being taken and is more relaxed.

i would have taken the same shot if i was there.

please excuse me for not having the experience to comment on your photographs in technical terms or ideas.

i can only comment on how your photos make me feel and the stories they tell me.

:o

i like his expression. controlled but gently. i can't know what his thinking.

i have to look longer at your picture for a moments glimpse of his thoughts, if ever i can.

can only guess.

i guess he is satisfied at you taking his picture and doesn't seem to be bothered. maybe he wished that others may see him and understand his situation.

just a guess.

your picture has a story. i like pictures that has stories.

:D

thanks.

Edited by spellboundXY