Travelling To Thailand In May - June

DePo

Hi all!

We are two persons travelling. Going to be in Phuket on 21st of May for 2 weeks. As I understand the weather could be pretty bad there at this time. We haven't yet booked any hotell and need a proff-advice on where to go and where to stay. We wanted to take a tour to Phi-Phi island, Kao Lak, couple of days in Phuket. Is there any ideas what is the best place to visit in direct visinity of Phuket?

How is the sea? Will it be possible to swim? We are looking forward two lazy weeks, not planning large, but want to get 100% of it.

Appreciate any recommendation/advice!

Thanks in advance!

Hi all!

We are two persons travelling. Going to be in Phuket on 21st of May for 2 weeks. As I understand the weather could be pretty bad there at this time. We haven't yet booked any hotell and need a proff-advice on where to go and where to stay. We wanted to take a tour to Phi-Phi island, Kao Lak, couple of days in Phuket. Is there any ideas what is the best place to visit in direct visinity of Phuket?

How is the sea? Will it be possible to swim? We are looking forward two lazy weeks, not planning large, but want to get 100% of it.

Appreciate any recommendation/advice!

Thanks in advance!

Just a gratuitous comment here on the weather, not on the south.

I like the rain since I'm from Portland, Oregon lo these many years ago, at least here I can sit on my back porch, as I'm doing now, in T-shirt and shorts with Singha in hand and be pretty comfortable.

And, when I was working in Khartoum, Sudan, some 20 years back, others would ask now and then when was a good time to visit Thailand.  My standard reply was along the lines of, well, compared to Khartoum, about any time between April and March, altho I usually came in August.

Mac

Just a gratuitous comment here on the weather, not on the south.

I like the rain since I'm from Portland, Oregon lo these many years ago, at least here I can sit on my back porch, as I'm doing now, in T-shirt and shorts with Singha in hand and be pretty comfortable.

And, when I was working in Khartoum, Sudan, some 20 years back, others would ask now and then when was a good time to visit Thailand.  My standard reply was along the lines of, well, compared to Khartoum, about any time between April and March, altho I usually came in August.

Mac

I used to visit a mate in the US Coast Guard in Astoria in Oregon, it's the first I saw a T-Shirt alluding to the sun being an UFO, certainly plently of rain but a beautiful State and we always enjoyed our stays there.

Sorry, just another boreing war story.

Nothing useful yet I see.

Thai weather is unpredictable to say the least, and it is quite possible, as the song says, to see 4 seasons in one day.

Officially we should still be in the 'hot' season, with the rainy season still to come in June - September, but the rains seem to have come earlier over the last few years, and all of Thailand has certainly been pretty wet over the last few weeks. My Brother and his family came to visit in August last year, I warned them it would be wet, then it rained only once in the 2 weeks they were here.

Yesterday is a prime example - sunny and really hot all day, then a monumental thunderstorm at about 5pm. (This is in Pattaya, not Phuket).

Phuket tends to get the brunt of any storms rolling in from the Andaman Sea, but I am sure you will have plenty of days which you can enjoy the beach, and on those days it will get so hot you will be happy to see a bit of rain.

Very rare that you will be unable to swim in the sea, close to the shore, but on really rough days boat trips to the islands etc will be cancelled.

I am sure you will have a good time regardless, don't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...
But is there any sun there in May-June or just clouds and showers? We'll be able to lay on beach?

Starting to get a bit anxious about our holiday... :o

I have been in thailand every month of the year. May 28 is my birthday so I often am there. I am usually in pattaya and the weather is fine. a bit hot, with an occasional afternnoon rain storm. nothing much or long. phuket is a bit different but I defer to other posters or weather sites.

My first visit to Thailand was on June 4th and I stayed in Bkk/Pattaya.I then would have an Xmas holiday and return each year around early June because if you take a look at the rain charts there is a gap in the rainy season avg, about that time,...the weather was scorching which I could cope with when younger and the places I stayed were less packed and prices cheaper in Hotels, sometimes thunder showers but usually get enough sun for a tan...unfortuneately your going further down south to Phuket ,so I'm not sure what type of weather it gets that time of year have a butchers at weather charts ,..they should give you more info,...

Well, it is the rainy season in Phuket. Do not swim past the marked flags!!!! (I dont know what else to call them..) Too many people have not been very smart and have swam past them only to get themselves in danger. So yes, you can swim but not too far. The upside on going during the low season though, is that there are less tourists. This is one reason why I like visiting Thailand in the low season...not so many crowds! :o

It will be up and down, but won't exactly be cold... Sunbathing might not always be on,, but there's plenty of stuff to do. Just wear a hat.

Boat trips to the islands are interesting in bad weather. Especially if you have to change boats mid way..