Advice - Gf To Uk

Hi All

I have trawled thru the various posts on this subject and got a little confused so please forgive me if this has been asnwered before:

I live and work in Thailand currently and am going back to UK early next year.

I will find a job there, hopefully securing one before I relocate

I met my GF (thai) whilst here and although not discounting marriage, we want to live together in UK for a while first.

We have been togther for 9 months, she lives with me in BKK currently.

Currently I have her on the payroll at my company in Thailand

What visa is most appropriate for a) coming to UK to live for a while with me b)with a view to if all goes well, marrying her and have her stay with me permanantly.

I have read that you cannot change a VV into a SV, so is it better to go for a SV, but does that mean I have to marry her quickly?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

H.

Hi Hollers,

A fiancé(e) visa would allow your g/f 6 months in the UK in which to get married. There follow the criteria which she needs to satisfy in order to get the visa:-

"Requirements for leave to enter the United Kingdom as a fiancé(e) (ie with a view to marriage and permanent settlement in the United Kingdom)

290. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a fiancé(e) are that:

(i) the applicant is seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom for marriage to a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; and

(ii) the parties to the proposed marriage have met; and

(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse after the marriage; and

(iv) adequate maintenance and accommodation without recourse to public funds will be available for the applicant until the date of the marriage; and

(v) there will, after the marriage, be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and

(vi) the parties will be able after the marriage to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds."

A visit visa would also grant your g/f a stay of 6 months but she would have to leave the UK at the end of her stay even if you got married. Also, I think it would be difficult for her to get a visit visa because her sponsor, you, is relocating back to the UK and the visa officer will believe that she's going with you for the duration.

Ironically if you still worked in Thailand and were just going to the UK for a holiday your g/f's chances of getting a visit visa would be vastly improved.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks guys.

By that wording, I cannot get a SV until I am settled and employed etc. Also, and crucially what I didnt tell you before is that I am still going through a long winded divorce....kinda puts the mockers on applying for a fiance visa i would think.

Maybe I should apply for her Visa whilst I am still in thailand and dont mention to them that I am planning to return for ever? Pitch it as a holiday. I go first, she comes over later and stays for the 6 months. If we decide to marry, does it follow that then she must reapply for a SV when back in Thailand? and if so, is it likely that she will be granted one given that she previously had a VV?

Sorry for all the questions, but really appreciate the invaluable insight.

Hi Hollers,

Yes, if you're not yet divorced the fiancé visa is a total non-starter.

If you wish to apply for a visit visa for your g/f then the visa officer will want to see that she has a good reason to return to Thailand at the end of her stay in the UK. If you can engineer a situation whereby your g/f can present you as living in Thailand then so much the better.

You will need to show that you have the funds available for her stay, accommodation for her, and proof of your status in Thailand. Also provide a covering letter outlining your intentions and your relationship as well as a letter from your company confirming her employment.

There's no harm in applying for the visa now. Your g/f's permission to enter the UK will start from the day the visa is issued but it's possible to ask the visa officer to post-date the visa for up to 3 months.

For an application form click on this link.

Best of luck,

Scouse.

Sorry Hollers,

I forgot to fully answer your question. If your g/f goes to the UK on a visit visa you may get married whilst there but she will need to leave at the end of the 6 months and apply for a settlement visa in order to return. The fact that she will have just spent 6 months in the UK on a visit visa would have no bearing upon the settlement application providing that she complied with its restrictions.

Scouse.

If your g/f goes to the UK on a visit visa you may get married whilst there but she will need to leave at the end of the 6 months and apply for a settlement visa in order to return. The fact that she will have just spent 6 months in the UK on a visit visa would have no bearing upon the settlement application providing that she complied with its restrictions.

Scouse, thats provided his divorce is finalised by then which I doubt he can since it's a long-winded divorce. His wife may delay the process once she knows about his Thai gf. He will not be able to marry her till then :o .

Hollers........Why not wait till everything is done and settled before you bring her over with you? It could also be a test to your relationship......think about it.

Good luck! :D