Problem "about Blank" Over Riding Browser

mike100

Can anybody help with this problem please?

Every time I try to log into hotmail, after a few seconds my browser page reverts to “About Blank,” and I can’t stay in hotmail to read my mails.

I have run (updated today) Ad-Aware and Spybot, and only Ad-Aware finds 7 Hi jack browser files, which I deleted. Also ran two virus checker’s, AVG and Stinger, both say I am clear. AVG was only upgraded a few days ago.

Also just ran Trend micro online virus check as I was typing this, and also came up clear.

The problem is that every time I hit explorer and log on, I still get “About Blank” and then the 7 hi jack files are again found by Ad-Aware in the Registry. It also changes in the internet home page option to “About Blank” Must have changed it about a ten times now.

From there I can log in to all sites I have tried except hotmail.

Have restarted the computer several times after the Virus and tracker scans, to no avail.

Very strange as I run Kerio firewall at all times and am very careful about opening attachments.

Running Win 2000 NT Pro. & Explorer 6.0

Think I might have to manually edit the registry, but do not know how to do this. :o

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Mike, you have one of the worst browser hijackers you can get, the appropriately named about blank hijacker.

I'm not even gonna begin to tell you how to get rid of this, just refer you to either of the sites below where someone will be able to help you step by step. Have a read of the FAQs and take a look at some of the threads from others with this problem so you'll have some idea on what you will have to do to remove it. From what l know of this pest there is no simple fix. It's more time consuming than difficult to remove. Let us know how you get on.

Spy Warrior

Spyware Info

Thanks guys,

Sorted I think. :o

Found some chat on spyware info which led me

to http://www.adwareaway.com/ . Downloaded the programme and it seems to have been successful.

Wish I knew where this bugger came from.

Hopefully this link will be of some help to any other members who become infected.

Thanks also George, I have a gmail account, but I’m still testing it at the moment.

Trouble was, that most of my contacts were on Hotmail and Yahoo, (which also wouldn’t work with the About Blank Highjacker)

Cheers,

Mike.