Camp Supplies

tomahawk

Hello everyone.Does anyone know place to get decent camping equipment such as sleeping bag,netting,machete,hatchet and water purifying tablets.I have been to Big C and some local markets but have not found good quality supplies.Thank you.

Hello everyone.Does anyone know place to get decent camping equipment such as sleeping bag,netting,machete,hatchet and water purifying tablets.I have been to Big C and some local markets but have not found good quality supplies.Thank you.

you could try Super Sports at Kad Suan Keaw, or Airport plaza. Also Sports World at Kad Suan Keaw.

you could try Super Sports at Kad Suan Keaw, or Airport plaza. Also Sports World at Kad Suan Keaw.

The title of your thread tempts me to advise hanging around the outside of the moat at Thapae Gate after 10pm but I guess that's not the kind of camp you're after. :o

I find Super Sports very expensive for a lot of things. There are a couple of places on the outside of the moat opposite Rasta Art Cafe that may have some items you're looking for and if you're only going to do a (very) short local trip then renting may be an option in which case there's a shop on the road to Wat Umong (soi 4 off Suthep Road) about 100 meters up on the left. Amorn (next to Icon Square computer centre) is also a good bet for things like torches - I'd go there first because you never know what you'll find that'll come in useful!

Edited by Greenside

Second floor of the old section of Airport Plaza. Camping supply store just outside the doors to Robinson's. Everything you ask for providing you don't want an extended technical backpacking trip; backpacking stoves and cookware, water treatment supplies, sleeping bags, tents, boots, waterproofs, flashlights, bug repellent, etc., etc., etc. Have a safe trip.

Thank you to everyone for kind advice I will try all these places.I love the outdoors and jungle but I think trek they advertise not for me.Probably I am wrong about this but I am half American Indian and hilltribe they say they take you to seems like a reservation to me and I have seen enough of those.Maybe these people don't like the trek idea but on other hand probably the only way they can make money to live si I don't know probably I am wrong.If people have gone camping or jungle on their own I am interested to knmow their stories thank you

Thank you to everyone for kind advice I will try all these places.I love the outdoors and jungle but I think trek they advertise not for me.Probably I am wrong about this but I am half American Indian and hilltribe they say they take you to seems like a reservation to me and I have seen enough of those.Maybe these people don't like the trek idea but on other hand probably the only way they can make money to live si I don't know probably I am wrong.If people have gone camping or jungle on their own I am interested to knmow their stories thank you

It is a bad idea to go out on your own and your being of Native American descent and having lived on a reservation is totally irrelevant, you are just another North American tourist. By the way, there is absolutely nothing akin to the reservation system here.

You do not speak the language so you will have problems communicating.... actually you will not be able to communicate. You will not be able to live off the land or even find potable water. In the more isolated villages where the organized treks take your fellow tourists, few villagers have much food to spare so knowing which house has been set up to host outsiders is critical, again your inability to communicate greatly impedes that process. There are no clear trails or ridge lines to follow. Even guides have been known to take a wrong turn and ended up on the wrong ridge requiring several hours of backtracking to the dismay of the paying tourists. Odds are that after a few hours in the forest you will be hopelessly lost.

There are a few areas where you can trek on your own a bit. There are areas around Pai and still some areas north of Thaton. But most of these village can also be reached on a small motorcycle with some daring and skill. Your best bet would be to hang out in the Pai region for a few days, maybe go to the Cave lodge north of Pai, and ask around for those villages that are suitable for a day hike and possibly an overnight stay.