Tourist Stats

I'm trying to get hold of some accurate stats for tourist arrivals in samui, demographics and hotel occupancy rates, does anyone know where I can get reliable up to date info?

I've been looking everywhere, but it seems impossible to find anything thats useful.

Womble,

Try this site might be of help.You will have to open the Surat/Samui spread sheeet.

http://www2.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_tst.php

Very detailed stats.....

I was thinking that the total numbers were not so close from peak and low season. Seems samui has tourists even when it's raining every day.

Amazing!

Be careful how you use these as they are not always correct.

I was using them last year and discovered that the occupancy rates quoted for the second half of 2005 and second half of 2006 were identical to the last decimal point. Hardly likely. I pointed this out to them but as I did not consider them reliable stopped using them. I also found their hotel and room count to be somewhat unrealistic as well - rooms by several thousand! I queried this with them as well but they were unable to explain the discrepancy to me.

hmmm... as a matter of fact there are tourists now throughout the year, yes even in rainy season!

if the number of the TAT are not correct, who could supply the correct ones?

One thing is for sure, every "Visa-Run" done, some have to do them 4x a year makes one person 4 !

Figure how many are living on Samui who have unwillingly added to this, by simply leaving frequently to attend oversea business, conferences, meetings, events, the lot... and then return on a multiple entry, it's the same Visa, but it's always a new Arrival/Departure Card and aren't they collected and build the base of these statistics?!

As it is with all statistics, if so they can supply only a rough overlook!

Correct market surveys and reliable statistics on real figures will cost a fortune and even then, nobody knows!

guess its one reason why there are marketing companies, McKinsey and the like