Soi Cowboy

taxexile

Director Clay used Aphichatpong's cinematographer so we get the same blurred foliage, etc as in Tropical Malady. If you like Aphichatpong films, you'll probably like Soi Cowboy

i also thought Tropical Malady was horrible... can't believe it got so many rave reviews

Director Clay used Aphichatpong's cinematographer so we get the same blurred foliage, etc as in Tropical Malady. If you like Aphichatpong films, you'll probably like Soi Cowboy

i also thought Tropical Malady was horrible... can't believe it got so many rave reviews

similar to most movies shown here, like UBC they believe if they continue to show absolute garbage and tell us that its fantastic, sooner or later we will become conditioned into believing it.

I dunno so much, looks an interesting flick to me. I remember having a French girlfriend and being dragged along to see some French art-house muck called 'Bon Travail'. One part consisted of a man smoking a cigarette for 5 minutes standing on top of a rock. No dialogue or monologue, just the sound of the wind and him staring meaninglessly into the distance. This film is an action-thriller by comparison.

lol. reminds me of "the brown bunny" which contained, initially, a 7 minute scene of the main character driving around a race track in a motorcycle. its just pseudo intellectualism from people who dont actually have anything interesting to say.

QUOTE (girlx @ 2009-01-10 23:14:21) *

is this the film that was banned at the film festival this year?

That was Children of the Dark.

anyone know if Children of the Dark is obtainable in any format?

it started off well enough, including ummm... long shots of toaster, grannie with zimmer frame... but just what the f&*K is that ending about!!??

[...]

if anyone can explain the ending to me, and it's relevance to the rest of the movie, I'd love to hear...

Just came back from watching the movie and felt the same. Glad to find this one:

The assistant director is a friend, and after I saw SC, he explained how the two sections of the narrative related to each other. The second, colour part, represents the novel that the fat Dane is writing on his laptop (and discussing over the phone) during the first, b&w part. His real life is dull and routine, but the novel lifts himself and his girlfriend into a world of gangsters and debauchery.

Well that makes... umm... "sense" and will allow me to stop thinking about it and go to sleep :D

Thanks sabaijai :o

Haven't seen Tropical Malady, but I really liked Blissfully Yours.

anyone know if Children of the Dark is obtainable in any format?

DVD release scheduled for 25th February 2009. Official website here (all in Japanese though)...