How To Setup Up Webcam At The Office To Log Into It From Remote Location

Advice needed on how to setup a webcam to be able to log into from a remote location. I am planning to travel in the next couple of month and it will be harder to keep my thumb on all the things at the shop while away. Thought that it might be a good idea to install a webcam by mounting it on a wall to check on how things are at the office. Really need advice on how to do it. Most of the friends I asked are having just a vague idea about it and just as dense in computer technology as myself. Do I need an all separate machine to support the webcam and should it be on 24/7 ? or is there a webcam that can function without computer attached to it?

So far I got separate ADSL line by True , Wi-Fi router . Please help.

Bangkokfightclub

it can be done with just a webcam , but it is reasonably involved and if you don't wish to leave your computer on continually , and not having any power issues , it becomes a bit more complex - though it can be done.

you are best to get a cam such as suggested by Dave with a built in webserver - but you will still have to forward the webserver port and and configure dynamic DNS on your ADSL modem/router.

I would suggest a full PZT ( Pan , Zoom , Tilt ) unit with built in webserver like the one below - it can be viewed and controlled by any internet connectible browser that runs activeX or Java

ViMicro_VS-IPC1002.jpg

Thanks!!! very much appreciated !

also is there a place here in Bangkok to buy this gear or the internet order is the only option?

is it relatively easy to set it up when purchased and to make the whole thing work for a tech dummy like myself or should I find a technician to connect and install it?

thanks again in advance

BangkokFightClub

I looked into this myself. You need an camera that connects to the inet either through an ethernet connection or through your wireless network. Go to www.dlinktv.com and you can view a video on how to connect. It is for Dlink but the principles mostly applies to all inet cameras.

Guest Reimar

There a few different things need to be done to use an Web Camera from Remote Location.

In case you'll use an IP-Camera, you need an Router which can be accessed from the net. There several router available which can do that job, for example: TP-Link 8840 or an Level One router.

The Level One has the advantage that you can use up to 1024 Ports and you need to use for each Camera 2 Ports, while the TP-Link is limited to 32 Ports only but still has more available ports as the most other Routers.

If you want to use the cameras without additional Services, you'll need to have an Static/Fixed IP address because you need to know the address to connect to. Home or "normal" accounts using Dynamic IP's which are changing many times.

An other way is to use and Dynamic IP Services like the one from fromn DynDNS or No-IP.com. Personally I like the service from No-IP.com and use them for many years already, incl. Survilance systems.

You can also use an USB-Camera or a Camera attached to an Capture Card. It's a question of costings as well. An IP-Camera cost THB 5,000 and above.

The use of an Capture Card is recommended if you like to to record for the time you can't be online. Most of the Software having Motion Detection which you can point to a specific location. A good capture Card cost THB 6,000 up with 4 Camera ports, each running 25/30 (PAL/NTSC) fps and compress to Mpeg4.

Cheers.

EDIT:

This is an friendly warning for to follow the Forum Rules. It isn't allowed to use URL's in Member names and/or Signature. Please contact Admin to change your Name! For the time being I close this post and will reopen only after the namchange has been done.

Edited by Reimar
order to change the Member name.