Gas Convertion (honda Cr-v)

CCCP

Hi

My GF has a Honda CR-V EXI 2.0 Year 2001 Sport, and is looking to have gas fitted. We have had two quotes, the first being 18k, and the other 30k.

Has anyone had this done for this type of vehicle, and why would the price vary so much. The garage that quoted 30k said it's the recommended one for a car of this spec. I personally think the 18k is about right as she has no intention of taking it out, she will sell it with the car when she upgrades.

Any suggestion on where to go in the area of PASIJAROEN, LAT PROA area.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

The quotes you got are most probably for two different systems.

The 18,000 Baht quote is for the old style, vacuum controlled LPG system

The 30,000 Baht will most probably for a computer controlled LPG multipoint injection system.

To be honest, the latter is a much better system.

With the first system, a venturi device has to be fitted between the air filter and the inlet manifold. Which means you'll lose power also when running on petrol due to the narrower part in the venturi.

With the LPG injected system, the petrol system remains untouched.

Biggest advantages over the cheap system are:

* Better power and fuel efficiency when running on LPG.

* No power loss on petrol operation.

* The computer will start your engine on petrol, and only switch to LPG after a short while. This keeps your petrol injectors, and actually the whole petrol fuel injection system clean. With the old system you'll have to run on petrol every few 100 km, or you'll suddenly find that the car won't run on petrol at all!

No idea for reputable installers in your area, just make sure the installer supplies you with all proper documents, which includes a copy of his license allowing him to do LPG installations.

Also make sure to inform your insurance company. AIG for example does not cover you when running on LPG. After an accident, even when completely unrelated to the LPG installation, they will refuse any payments if they see you have LPG installed! If you do inform them, they will allow you to finish the period you paid for (AND cover you), but they will not extend, so you'll need another insurer then...

I'm too interested in converting my Honda CRV to LPG.

Is it anybody out there who have done it before with this car type?

Where do they place the gas tank ?

And one final question. Who does it best in the Pattaya area (not cheapest but best).