What The Euros And Thais Call 'sausage'

nothing at all, but if you know a little about what is avaliable you can avoid the mass produced garbage, that goes for sausage, beer, steaks, burgers, thai food, japanese food, french ect. If you like subway, hey go for it, you wont catch me there because there are much better places out there. ie bbc, four seasons,

I lived in San Francisco - which has some of the best restauarants in the world - for many years and went to one almost every day and besides that was constantly being treated to free meals in them because of the nature of my job. In fact, I hardly ever ate at home. Guess what? I still like Subway every once in a while or Burger King (although normally I prefer the sandwich shop in front of the J.W. Marriot).

In my experience, people who rave on about how terrible all popular brands taste, usually don't have any - taste that is. :o

hmm i guess you got me beat, ive only earned 2 michelin stars nyc, 1 star la, 4 ny times stars, 3 ny times, 3 ny times, 3 la times stars etc...you know better because you have eaten out in SF sorry dude, i guess your a true gourmand, you got my palate beat any day, i mean you have eaten out in sf.That makes you the man, i humbly apologize.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm i guess you got me beat, ive only earned 2 michelin stars nyc, 1 star la, 4 ny times stars, 3 ny times, 3 ny times, 3 la times stars etc...you know better because you have eaten out in SF sorry dude, i guess your a true gourmand, you got my palate beat any day, i mean you have eaten out in sf.That makes you the man, i humbly apologize.

You say that as if you are a chef... I "earned"...

If, however, I guess right, I assume that means you ate at places with those ratings. In which case I've eaten at hundreds of hole-in-the-walls and street stalls which probably blow out all the Michelin and NY Times stars you can accumulate.

Now can we get back on topic?

John, I hope you made a large-size delivery yesterday, because I'm on my way over in a minute...

If, however, I guess right, I assume that means you ate at places with those ratings. In which case I've eaten at hundreds of hole-in-the-walls and street stalls which probably blow out all the Michelin and NY Times stars you can accumulate.

Now can we get back on topic?

John, I hope you made a large-size delivery yesterday, because I'm on my way over in a minute...

Hi,

tomorrow ... wait till tomorrow please - we'll be taking care of some stuff at the Bistro since we have a soft opening Sunday afternoon and at the same time re-stock Villa tomorrowwith plenty of "Kaesekrainer" and others,

John

sorry about this, but had to send the wife to buy a lot of stuff for the Bistro and it took much longer than expected - my kitchen staff and myself had a full day making stuff for customers and the Bistro and only finished 1/2 hour ago. Also had to mke a load of toast bread and mixed rey/wheatflower sandwich rolls for the Bistro because I couldn't find anyting decend

The good news is, that having made all the food I have now lowered some prices even further since I now have been able to calculate all the costs involved

Oh boy assumptions, you know the saying, but i earned em, blood sweat and tears, any punk with a amex can rack up a huge list, my place opens in august here in bkk

John, so the sausage i had was a rough fresh forcemeat by no means a emulsification , hand cut for sure, large fat chunks/meat i was told the casing was deer, maybe it was a new type of food for them but it didnt seem that way, makes sense that some fresh meat would be treated so, eaten right away, but who knows. Would you consider pemican as a dry sausage along the lines with genoa, beef salami, pepperoni, lyon, cervelat, chorizo, frizzes, Landjäger, ect or not ?? just a random food question i am always amazed by "chorizo boyz" you make foie blonde or torchons by any chance??

Edited by tb86

john where is your spot located gotta come support the new guys....

Hi,

thanks, here are the details: Visit My Website

As to Pemican - yes, today it is like a dried meat / sausage, but the argument before was about a long time ago and Pemican than was very different - check in the EB

I assume with "foie blonde" you mean a delicate white liver mousse - would love to, but don't think it would work in the Bistro - wrong cost level

If the right customers turn up .. who knows... one of my signature dishes is a "Osso Buco" cooked "sous vide" in a celeriac & marrow sauce served with Potatoe Gnochi - however, at least for the moment I think this would be way over the accepted price range.. considering raw material costs - cooking time (14-18 hours, vacuum packed in the "sous vide" bath at 72C) I would have to ask THB 700.00 in the Bistro - I do supply this to customers wholesale though - at least 10 portions at a time....

Looking forward seeing you at the Bistro,

John

John: where is the Bistro located? Are your products available in a retail location in Pattaya, or do I need to go to Bangkok to get them? Does your main retail store location have more products than Villa Market, Soi 33 and Thong Law, Soi 15? Finally, are you able to prepare some mild and spicy Italian sausage on a special order?

Thanks for all the info you post on this board.

ZB

nothing at all, but if you know a little about what is avaliable you can avoid the mass produced garbage, that goes for sausage, beer, steaks, burgers, thai food, japanese food, french ect. If you like subway, hey go for it, you wont catch me there because there are much better places out there. ie bbc, four seasons,

I lived in San Francisco - which has some of the best restauarants in the world - for many years and went to one almost every day and besides that was constantly being treated to free meals in them because of the nature of my job. In fact, I hardly ever ate at home. Guess what? I still like Subway every once in a while or Burger King (although normally I prefer the sandwich shop in front of the J.W. Marriot).

In my experience, people who rave on about how terrible all popular brands taste, usually don't have any - taste that is. :D

Thank you, but you might have also mentioned that I'm not a liar and a pretentious w*nker while you are at it. :o

John: where is the Bistro located? Are your products available in a retail location in Pattaya, or do I need to go to Bangkok to get them? Does your main retail store location have more products than Villa Market, Soi 33 and Thong Law, Soi 15? Finally, are you able to prepare some mild and spicy Italian sausage on a special order?

Thanks for all the info you post on this board.

ZB

Hi,

the Bistro's location is shown on our website - Visit My Website - its small , but I hope the food will make people come in.

Retail until now has only been a sideline and our products are only available in Villa 33. This however may also change shortly.

Italian sausage we can make any way you want, mild or spicy or medium - where the northern Italian sausages are usually less spicy and as one progresses south-ward the spicynes increases,

John

Hi,

the Bistro's location is shown on our website - Visit My Website - its small , but I hope the food will make people come in.

Retail until now has only been a sideline and our products are only available in Villa 33. This however may also change shortly.

Italian sausage we can make any way you want, mild or spicy or medium - where the northern Italian sausages are usually less spicy and as one progresses south-ward the spicynes increases,

John

Thanks. I couldn't figure out that all I had to do was click on the Bistro logo on the main page. Duh! Good luck with the opening of your restaurant. The menu looks fantastic. I will try to get there when I'm in Bangkok. Are you going to sell any retail items at Bistro? Maybe you can join forces with ThaiVisa's delivery service? Until then, I will come up to Bangkok and shop at Villa on Soi 33.

ZB

Hey John, what kind of cryo unit are you using, ive been looking into em but having a little difficulty, also for cooking sousvide are you using immersion circulators or a temp set water bath, always on the look out for gear suppliers

tomorrow ... wait till tomorrow please - we'll be taking care of some stuff at the Bistro since we have a soft opening Sunday afternoon and at the same time re-stock Villa tomorrowwith plenty of "Kaesekrainer" and others,

Too late... LOL... so went home disappointed thinking someone came in and snatched up all the Kaesekrainer :o

Whatever link there is to the Bistro, I can't find it. Please send me a PM if you won't post it publicly.

Hey John, what kind of cryo unit are you using, ive been looking into em but having a little difficulty, also for cooking sousvide are you using immersion circulators or a temp set water bath, always on the look out for gear suppliers

Hi,

I had one build to specifications by King in Bangkok - thermostatically controlled waterbath with circulation pump - cost a hefty 80 k - the thermostat is an importet one from Germany -

John

Too late... LOL... so went home disappointed thinking someone came in and snatched up all the Kaesekrainer :o

Whatever link there is to the Bistro, I can't find it. Please send me a PM if you won't post it publicly.

Hi,

if you just click onto the "Bistro" logo - but here it is

"Bistro Eurogourmet" - Ekamai Soi 23 -High Tech Condo - Ground Floor right at the main entrance - parking available

Opening today - soft opening - test - 1:00pm until 6:00 pm - as off tomorrow from 09:00 am until ....??

John

Too late... LOL... so went home disappointed thinking someone came in and snatched up all the Kaesekrainer :D

Hi,

if you just click onto the "Bistro" logo - but here it is

"Bistro Eurogourmet" - Ekamai Soi 23 -High Tech Condo - Ground Floor right at the main entrance - parking available

Opening today - soft opening - test - 1:00pm until 6:00 pm - as off tomorrow from 09:00 am until ....??

John

Haha... I am just around the corner from you. Might take the girls with me. But would rather you open in my condo :o