Divorce Advice Sought

ThePinkPossy

Dear Forum

Does anybody have any current life experience, or can provide advice to the following matter:

I wish to divorce my wife here in Thailand, we was married (officially) at a ampur on the Khmer border, my wife has told me we must both return to the original office.

Is this statement true, or can I go to Bangkok or any other major City in-country to resolve this matter. As much as I would love to return to the Khmer's, unfortunately I have received threats so would prefer no to ............

Thanx

And, apologies for any proposed newly weds, unfortunately this is a fact of life

I wish to divorce my wife here in Thailand, we was married (officially) at a ampur on the Khmer border, my wife has told me we must both return to the original office.

Is this statement true

No, you can divorce at any Amphur. But you have to both be there with the right paperwork.

Recently divorced (2 weeks ago)

Any amphur office will do but you must have both marriage certificates, your passport (No copies). and her I.D card and registration document.

There is one problem that I encountered. Before they printed out the divorce certificate there is a Thai form that must be completed regarding children and assets accrued whilst married and any settlement figure.

This can become very difficult for farangs who can't speak good Thai. The form is loaded in favour of the Thai and there seemed to be almost an expectation that the farang will give something to the Thai woman. They would not print none in all the columns even though there were no children in my case and no assets (land/car) etc. What happened was that the amphur staff refused to process the form and thus grant divorce until I offered a financial settlement which my wife agreed to. because of some problem I had to offer 2000 per month for 2 years.

My advice make sure your wife doesn't want a money settlement and then agree to a nominal amount of 200Baht a month or something like this with her in case the form appears.

Hope this helps

JGV

Hi Thaddeus

Other than the obvious, can you enlighten me as to what other documents officials would request for divorce.

Thanx

Love to, but the poster above me just did it.

you must have both marriage certificates, your passport (No copies). and her I.D card and registration document.

My wife just says 'the original marriage certificates', you should have received two identical.

Hi JGV

Thanx for the info mate appreciated! Difficult times ah .............

We have ALL the relevant documentation to proceed with divorce at our local Ampur. However, l presume like most foregners I do not want to give-up any assets whatsoever. Do you suggest I take legal advice beforehand, as I see this as a stumbling block in our divorce case.

Kind regards

My wife just says 'the original marriage certificates', you should have received two identical.

Hi JGV

Thanx for the info mate appreciated! Difficult times ah .............

We have ALL the relevant documentation to proceed with divorce at our local Ampur. However, l presume like most foregners I do not want to give-up any assets whatsoever. Do you suggest I take legal advice beforehand, as I see this as a stumbling block in our divorce case.

Kind regards

With my divorce the ex stated to the officer that she didn't want any of my property and the divorce sailed through. YES!