Carburettor Leaking On New Bike

So, here i am.

First picture: Regular 28mm Mikuni carb. Arrow points to float bowl drain screw.

Second picture: Overflow tube! As you can see it extends a bit higher than the rim of the float bowl itself.

Third picture: Here overflow and float bowl drain come together into the same outlet nipple, arrow points to drain hole that is opened by outside screw.

Now when are you going to send the million Dollars that i just won?? Be quick, my computer needs a new PSU and i want one of them Ferraris, too.

Best regards......

Thanh

post-13387-1211421159_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1211421188_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1211421203_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, here i am.

First picture: Regular 28mm Mikuni carb. Arrow points to float bowl drain screw.

Second picture: Overflow tube! As you can see it extends a bit higher than the rim of the float bowl itself.

Third picture: Here overflow and float bowl drain come together into the same outlet nipple, arrow points to drain hole that is opened by outside screw.

Now when are you going to send the million Dollars that i just won?? Be quick, my computer needs a new PSU and i want one of them Ferraris, too.

Best regards......

Thanh

How do we know thats not something you've just thrown together yourself or manipulated in Photoshop.

Some people will do anything for a million bucks!

Has Lickey paid up yet?

So, here i am.

Best regards......

Thanh

How do we know thats not something you've just thrown together yourself or manipulated in Photoshop.

Has Lickey paid up yet?

Yeah, we want part numbers, detailed engineering drawings, the original castings and the name of the Japanese guy who did the original design.

Then you may get your million dollars.

If Lickey pays up of course.

Edited by edwinchester

So, here i am.

Best regards......

Thanh

Has Lickey paid up yet?

Easy :o

Because i don't have Photoshop - i'm running Linux :D

Original picture still in my phone which i took them with - a Sony-Ericsson K750. Carburetor still in the box under my bed, feel free to drop by tomorrow morning and i'll do a live demonstration, if i put that very carb on my bike i can actually even demonstrate the overflow in action - as it was the reason why i replaced that carb in first place :D

Part number 3XX-00 something, it's the original carb from a '94 Yamaha RXZ.

Diagram of a Mikuni carb here:

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street...rts_diagram.htm

So, where is my million Dollars?? I already phoned the Ferrari dealer, so hurry up, mate :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh, I don't know about the million dollars, but the bright green cloth in the background would make a nice fabric for lots of clothes. :o I recall a Weber carb for sale at a swap meet, a real Weber off of an old Fiat, and sold for a dollar as a flower-pot.

The bike is made in Cuba - Fabrica Castro Metalica, autentico Rasta Rumba Mucho Gusto.

Hi :o

That green stuff is actually my current set of bed sheets/pillow covers :D I like it, too. I took the picture there because the light was good there (beside the balcony door) as i had to take the pics with my phone - the digital cam battery is empty (still worked last night!). The macro on that phone isn't as good as the one in the cam but still usable.

The name of that bike sounds funny - is that for real? I mean that long version. From Cuba? Good commie bike then :D If it were two-stroke i'd consider :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Well i happen to be gay, and my boyfriend doesn't mind if i take THAT carb apart there - it's been sitting in the box for well over a year now and is absolutely free of any petrol or oil or anything else that could "stay" on the sheets :D

Now if i would do that with the carb that's currently on my bike - different story :D

But our room often looks like some sort of garage or workshop - when i'm working on my bike and have all the tools and stuff spread out all over the floor, or when i build a whole bunch of computers at once (like last time 3 of them, once 7 in one go - our room became a warehouse/workshop, we have only one room and that isn't big). So yeah, he's used to that and as long as i don't obstruct his view to the Thai soap/gameshow/talkshow on TV it's no problem :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

PS still waiting for my million Dollars, Lickey! Do i have to send the boys 'round? :D

So, here i am.

Best regards......

Dont remember placing a bet, just to prove me wrong, that was all, Now, does the carb in pic have Mikuni Corp on the casting? and made in Japan? i suspect not, also the float bowl casting has cutaways at the screw fixings, another giveaway that its made under licence in perhaps China,Taiwan ect,

Poor castings have this cut to allow for poor machining, also that overflow tube in case the casting is not precise enough,

And surely if the carb only flooded when going along, didnt it cause over-fuelinng? you know, pop-pop-bang-pop ect? you didnt mention this?

Recently my 1200 Yamaha flooded a carb while standing, fuel seeped out of the carb-airfilter joint, and it would not turn-over on the button, I selected a high gear and pushed her backwards over 8 compressions, selected neutral and she started ok on the button,Next day was the same, petrol smell, i whacked the offending carb and its fine now.

Also because of the high quality fuel out here in the sticks, she gets a misfire sometimes, I ride her as fast as she will allow in 3rd gear, pull the choke full on and wind the throttle open, this has the effect of a carb vacumn cleaner and works every time.

If you want to try curing a flooding carb, try a thin shim/washer between the float needle valve and carb body, it can be increased-decreased acording to spark plug colour or exhaust emmisions.

I also seem to remember last year you posted about your bike and the ign coil under the tank always shorting out when raining, did you take my advice and place the coil under the seat or other, going to a scrapyard for a long HT lead to eliminate this problem? never did see a follow up on this?

Anyway, here are some pics of real Mikuni Carbs, im not about to strip them out for curositys sake about the overflow tubes, as im sure they dont have!! the bike is about 9 years old, I would think the pics you posted are a carb 15+ years, What manufactuer these days would want raw fuel running out of carbs possibly onto a hot exhaust and igniting?its better to go into the engine where it will detonate or evaporate dont you agree?

Rgds Lickey..

Thanh

post-41116-1211474997_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1211475012_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1211475036_thumb.jpg

Good morning :o

My friend, you are hard to convince, but you LOST this one :D "My" Mikuni is as much a "Mikuni" as much as yours, if it is made in Japan, Thailand, U.S.A. or Timbuktu. As my entire bike is made in Thailand, i guess that'll hold true for the carb as well, it's a Mikuni nevertheless just as the bike is a Yamaha.

Have a calculator handy? So let's see. The bike is made 1994. No idea when exactly, but 1994. Now it is 2008. Let me wind up that calculator, 2008-1994 =

Not "15+". And yes, i DID mention it's a '94 Yamaha RXZ and that carb is the original one.

Fuel from the overflow (or drain as they go thru the same outlet) doesn't come anywhere close to the exhaust, as the exhaust is right side and the hose from that nipple ends up middle-left and below the exhaust.

Yes, when the fuel overflowed, the engine DID act weird - not as you describe (it's a two-stroke after all, doesn't misfire like four-strokes do) but it lost power and felt flooded. That's how i noticed "it" happening again. And no, it didn't happen ONLY during riding, but also when parked - and suddenly, that is how i got the shop to get me a new carb as after the umpteenth time them messing around with it and saying "all fine now" the bike was parked, engine off, fuel cock open and suddenly, all by itself, it started pissing petrol again. Then i said "enough with screwing around now, order me a new one". By the way ever since then i close the fuel cock when parking - never did it BEFORE that started to happen :D

About the ignition coil, i ended up with a new one of those as well. There is no place anywhere on my bike to put it (like under the seat, i got the air box on the right and the 2T tank on the left....) but it's original location, one would asume it's out of any spray water but still.... anyway that problem is solved with the new coil, and i even found a waterproof sparc plug cap (still not an NGK - those don't seem to exist in Thailand, not even Red Baron or Paddocks have them!)

Anyway attached a couple more pics of my carb, "Mikuni" and "3XX00" whioch is the type.... and in case you wonder what THAT nipple is for, that's where the 2T Oil comes in, from the oil pump :D

If you ever open YOUR carb, now it's YOUR turn to prove ME wrong, there will be an overflow tube just like in mine. Why? Just because EVERY Japanese bike carb that i so far had open had this "feature" :D

With best regards.....

your Thanh

post-13387-1211501143_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1211501165_thumb.jpg

I go away for a couple of days and look what happens to my thread ....WW3 breaks out :o

Just to bring it back on topic, the dealer came straight back out and replaced the broken side panel - and left hastily.

On the assumption that all was now well, I decided to give it a run and put some fuel in. On the way back I noticed the fuel and l battery gauges going down... and down. Anyway, I made it back home to discover the battery was dead - it wasn't being charged, and petrol was still coming out of the (new) carburettors again...... @#$%$$$....Arrrrrrrgh

A REPLACEMENT BIKE IS BEING SHIPPED FROM BANGKOK !! Being delivered Saturday...or so I'm promised

Thann, So when one of my carbs flooded the other day, why didnt it come out the bottom drain hole?

Simply because genuine Mikunis dont have this tube!! else they would fit a drain tube directing it away from the hot engine, True dont you think?

You will also notice my carbs dont have a hacksaw cut in each corner fixing of the float bowl.

Also did you try a shim/washer under the float needle valve, or even bending up the needle contact pad on the float?

rgds Lickey.

This is getting ridiculous.

So now my carb is fake just so you have your peace, ok?

Don't enter a race if you can't stand to lose.

And yes, needle contact pad has been bent and didn't help. Oh, and my brand new, made in2004 by Mikuni Corporation, carb also has the overflow tube.

It's sure a fake, too.

Have you actually ever looked at the link i googled specially for you? Here it is again: http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street...rts_diagram.htm

But that must be just another fake.

And before i forget, the Mikuni VM 20 on each of my two Zuendapp KS 50 and the 26 mm one on the KS 175 had it as well. dam_n, Zuendapp also used fake carbs. But you are sure right.

Bye.

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Ok, I'm drunk but feel like entering the argument anyway. This is a set of 33mm smoothbore mikini's I sold recently. They'd been sitting around for a while so I can't recall, but I can't see an overflow

post-38330-1211557499_thumb.jpg

and this is what happens when you ask a friend to take a photo

post-38330-1211557544_thumb.jpg

I actually used this photo for the e-bay advert which generated a lot of views and a good price. Now, what was the question...

Thanks for that :D This picture shows clearly - not ALL Mikuni carbs have it. I never said they do - just every single one that i so far had in my hands did.

Or should i now start saying that your carbs aren't genuine because they don't have that??

Best regards.....

Thanh

Ok, I'm drunk but feel like entering the argument anyway. This is a set of 33mm smoothbore mikini's I sold recently. They'd been sitting around for a while so I can't recall, but I can't see an overflow

post-38330-1211557499_thumb.jpg

Sitting around for a while?? The amount of cr*p and scale on them, and the pitting inside the throats looks like they have been sitting on the bottom of the ocean!

You really sold them to someone on Ebay?? I'm impressed! It proves that PT Barnum was absolutely correct!

I started this thread on a serious note.....but now it's the most hilarious one I've read for ages :o

If anyone's still interested, the dealer's delivered me a new bike....and all is well, but that's boring now, so I'll let the arguments and bitching continue :D

geoffphuket

Just spoke with an old friend in the UK who has raced in the LeMans 24hr bike race and he said his race Mikuni flat slides definitely had an overflow tube.

1 nil to Thanh.

Not really 1-0 mate, endurance bike are fitted with a battery, alternator and electric fuel pump which is constant pressure, so overflows can be be nessacary in closed throttle positions,

Whoes your old friend? Russell Benny of Phase one endurance?

My friend, i appreciate you wanting to help me stop my leaking old carb, however using it as a strategy to divert from the fact that i showed pretty clearly that you were wrong doesn't pull.

My new carb doesn't leak and the old one only serves to have it's picture taken for you to call it "fake". Now, where is the "Made In Japan" on YOUR picture???? And if it is there, all it proves is that your carbs were made in Japan.

And then - what does it matter where it is made? You probably know that an E-Class is "Made In Thailand". It is nevertheless a BENZ, right or wrong?? So please, stop the childish picking on my carb, i've shown you not only my carb but a web link to a genuine Mikuni diagram (which you probably STILL didn't bother to look at because you are scared of further evidence) where the overflow tube is very clearly visible, plus another member told you that his mate's racing carbs have it too - so face it: All excuses in the world won't save you.

I PROVED YOU WRONG AND I WON.

Heck i wouldn't want to play Tennis against you. You'd probably say the ball was a cube, the lines were curved and my racquet too large instead of admitting that i served an ace to win against you.

Best regards....

Thanh

I did look at your pic of a chinese mikuni and i explained why endurance bikes have overflow tubes, been there, done that, and as for tennis, as far as i know the balls might be square, and the players might have overflow tubes, GENUINE players dont,

Cheers.Lickey.

Just spoke with an old friend in the UK who has raced in the LeMans 24hr bike race and he said his race Mikuni flat slides definitely had an overflow tube.

1 nil to Thanh.

Not really 1-0 mate, endurance bike are fitted with a battery, alternator and electric fuel pump which is constant pressure, so overflows can be be nessacary in closed throttle positions,

Whoes your old friend? Russell Benny of Phase one endurance?

Tom Blackwell, raced with Chrysalis Racing before the owner was killed.

I did look at your pic of a chinese mikuni and i explained why endurance bikes have overflow tubes, been there, done that, and as for tennis, as far as i know the balls might be square, and the players might have overflow tubes, GENUINE players dont,

Cheers.Lickey.

WHERE does it say "Made in China"..??

You talk a lot of B.S., my friend. You have lost and you can't stand to lose, fullstop. I will stop contributing to this thread before i get upset.

And open up your freakin' carbs to find your overflow tubes right there. As long as i don't see a picture of the inner float bowl of YOUR carb, all that comes from you is nothing but meaningless hot air.

Bye.

Thanh