Thai Visas

Hi all,

Just came across this forum and have a quick question hopefully someone can help with. I'm travelling around the world soon with a friend, and we intend to be in Thailand for part of the trip. We are both Irish.

We have a flight into Bangkok from Beijing, and then a flight out of Singapore to Darwin a couple of months later.

We intend to travel up to Northern Thailand and work our way through Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, back into Thailand and on down through Malaysia.

As far as I can tell, our only option is to pay €70 to the local embassy for a multiple entry tourist visa.

I'm sorry if this is a question that comes up a lot, but please could maybe someone give me some advice. Is it possible to not have a visa at all? Is there any cheaper legal alternative to such an expensive VISA? In total we'll probably spend about 3 weeks in Thailand, but it's split into two parts.

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

Thanks for the quick reply! :o

But I don't have proof of an onward flight in Thailand - only from Singapore. Are they not that strict on this? Also when I re-enter from Cambodia could there be problems?

Re-entry from Cambodia shouldnt be a problem, the problem you/ll have is getting the carrier to allow you to board in Beijing with no proof of onward ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days stay you/ll recieve upon arrival from Beijing........you could purchase a flight up to Laos or over to Cambodia travelling within the 30 day period to get round this, then all you need do is show this ticket at check-in in Beijing if proof of onward ticket is asked for. This of course would restrict your travel plans up to Northern Thailand........unless you cash the ticket in once you land in Thailand.

But I don't have proof of an onward flight in Thailand - only from Singapore. Are they not that strict on this? Also when I re-enter from Cambodia could there be problems?

Thai Immigartion usually has no problem with this, but the airline taking you into Thailand will most likely refuse to let you board without a visa or outbound ticket for a flight out of Thailand within 30 days.

Your best choice, though costly, would be to get a tourist visa. Single entry would do if you plan to re-enter Thailand from Cambodia at a land border crossing.

opalhort

OK that's great thanks again!

So let me get this straight:

I get a single entry VISA which allows me 30 days in Thailand.

When I leave Thailand to Laos will a border check not sign that I'm out of the country and not coming back?

Then when I arrive back from Cambodia I won't have a "fresh" visa...... :o

Also when I cross to Malaysia I'll have a single entry visa saying I already left Thailand a few weeks previous!

Single entry tourist visa will give you up to 60 days stay in Thailand.........you/ll exit Thailand into Laos whenever then into where Cambodia? anyways you/ll return into Thailand via a land border with Cambodia you/ll recieve a 30 day upon arrival stamp (no visa neccessary) which will cover your remaining stay in Thailand...you/ll then exit Thailand and enter Malaysia (no visa required) and proceed down to Singapore. One more thing if you enter Laos via the friendship bridge at Nong Khai you can obtain the visa to enter Laos just before the bridge......there are several agents who/ll run and obtain it for you for a small fee.once into Laos take a taxi to Vietienne and plan from there. :o

Ok great that seems to makes sense!

My only worry would be that coming back in from Cambodia I won't have evidence of a flight out of Thailand... My rough understanding (correct me if I'm wrong please anyone!) of the thinking behind these Thai visas is that you pay for them instead of the tax you'd be paying on a flight.

Upon re-entry into Thailand, surely the guy on the border will think "hang on, this lad is passing through and never getting charged a fee" - i.e. Surely my single entry visa was only valid from original arrival until I pass into Laos?

I know you suggested this 30-day stamp, but I thought that was on condition that you had a flight out (and thus paying tax on that flight)?

Sorry I just want to be 100% sure about this! I leave in less than 4 weeks on the trip and need to decide today or tomorrow if I'm applying for 2-entry, 1-entry or nothing!!!

Thanks also for the Laos tip! We were just wondering how we're gonna go about sorting VISAs for there too! :o We plan to head through Laos, down through Vietnam, and back up through Cambodia. I assume that's a do-able route!

You could get your Laos visa in Bangkok at the Laos embassy if you wanted but really there is no point ................regarding the 30 day entry stamp when you come back in from Cambodia and proof of onward ticket, although an onward ticket is strictly required the rule is mainly invoked by the airlines when you try to board (i.e Beijing) because if you are refused entry into Thailand they are fined and have to take you back from whence you came (they cover their <deleted>). When you re-enter by a land border the immigration wont in all honesty ask for you to show an onward ticket (in the 6 years ive lived in Thailand i have never been asked to show onward tickets when crossing land borders).The 30 day stamp and taxes on flights are in no way connected. Trust me just apply for a single entry tourist visa to get you on board the plane in Beijing safely, go on your journeys wherever and return by land border from Cambodia (Poi-Pet is the normal choice but its up to you) get the 30 day stamp (free) and exit down to Malaysia within said 30 days..................if you are a really worried about the return entry into Thailand get a double entry tourist visa then you are covered 100%, its up to you.