Submission/bjj Classes

I hesitated to add this to the Bangkok Fight Club thread, as I would be putting them in a difficult position by asking: can anyone who has trained at the Bangkok Fight Club post reviews? I am interested in training, in order of preference, in submission, bjj, mma. As far as I can see, this is the best and only place in Bangkok (I am going to Chiang Mai, but there is nothing there at all!).

Would also be interested in corresponding with any submission wrestlers aged 25-35, weight 65-70 kg

Kenny

I hesitated to add this to the Bangkok Fight Club thread, as I would be putting them in a difficult position by asking: can anyone who has trained at the Bangkok Fight Club post reviews? I am interested in training, in order of preference, in submission, bjj, mma. As far as I can see, this is the best and only place in Bangkok (I am going to Chiang Mai, but there is nothing there at all!).

Would also be interested in corresponding with any submission wrestlers aged 25-35, weight 65-70 kg

Kenny

There are some small pockets of wrestling around Thailand revolving around Olympic and College type wrestling and their may be some somewhere in Chang Mai. There is also some interest among Judo clubs in getting involved with Sambo but it again is a very small group of people. By far the biggest group training in anything resembling grappling is Judo which can be found all over Thailand if you look hard enough.

If you want to get involved in BJJ you should go over to Bangkok Fight Club and talk to Alex. He is very approachable and is more interested in the sport than trying to sell you anything. While there are other people here involved with BJJ, BFC is the only club with any track record. The reality is not many Thais are interested in BJJ or any form of grappling, this I speak about from my experience here.

Thanks for those tips. What I would like best of all is Olympic and college style wrestling, but it never crossed my mind it might be possible in Thailand. Would it be among Americans or do some Thais go in for it too? I have great respect for Thai and US fighters alike and would love to join a wrestling club that has some really decent wrestlers.

Thanks for those tips. What I would like best of all is Olympic and college style wrestling, but it never crossed my mind it might be possible in Thailand. Would it be among Americans or do some Thais go in for it too? I have great respect for Thai and US fighters alike and would love to join a wrestling club that has some really decent wrestlers.

Sumaropkov, read your PM

BJJ classes are seems to be the most popular at the BFC. MMA is getting there , it's just a bit too hard and a bit too intense for some guys , lots of cardio, drills ... it's very good training IF you are already in decent shape. no gi submission grappling on MMA days draws people in

What I don't like is when there is too many drills, etc. That is why I chucked in bjj - there was so much balance, standing correctly, falling... I know that is important, but the whole point was I wanted a sport where I could actually fight and have real contact!

All those who enjoy fighting as part of physical conditioning, keep the PMs coming.

sure , everyone has his own way. there are two options for you than. you can just go ahead and start by sparring/ grappling. you will be beaten up on and clobbered for quite a while by guys with skills before you will acquire some skills yourself (while taking a beating).

or you can do some homework first (learn and safely practice techniques by drilling them with non resisting partners ) and come to a fight ready and prepared. if you want to progress in the game you probably should follow the path of maximum effectiveness. but then again , what do I know...

What I was meaning was that the damned instructor hardly ever let me grapple with him, it was all moving about the mat backwards and forwards. I wouldn't have minded a bit of practice with some non-resisting partners first! I didn't mean I wanted to step out onto the mat in a professional fight straight away.

• 3 months later...
What I don't like is when there is too many drills, etc. That is why I chucked in bjj - there was so much balance, standing correctly, falling... I know that is important, but the whole point was I wanted a sport where I could actually fight and have real contact!

All those who enjoy fighting as part of physical conditioning, keep the PMs coming.

alex is a super nice guy, with one of the best schools in b,kok, but I agree the formal classes get too boring with all those drills

people come to learn BJJ not do a workout that they could do at home ( even though most will never do that)

Those are there to prepare you- but get too dull for me because I am the lazy sod!

I,d suggest going to some, and also doing some private lessons, I just did the privates, and I really enjoyed them

bangkok really has some great teachers now;

mark stewart- JKD, one of the best in the world

Randy hodges- Amok! knife, also exellent, great in your face training, not for the faint hearted

the sambo new men look good in mekong ( although their idea on israli arts are just plain backward)

sanbo is good

know any others?

best wishes