Renewal Of One Year Visa

Have just returned from Bangkok where I (just) managed to renew my Retirement Visa and was informed by the folks at Suan Plu that effective a couple of days ago, one year visa's may only be renewed in the Province where the applicant resides. At first I was told to apply back in Phuket but made a case to suggest I was flying out of the country that evening - I had to repeat that argument three times, all the way up to Inspector level before being allowed to renew in Bangkok. Maybe this is not new to some of you but it certainly is to to me hence now the "heads up".

Have just returned from Bangkok where I (just) managed to renew my Retirement Visa and was informed by the folks at Suan Plu that effective a couple of days ago, one year visa's may only be renewed in the Province where the applicant resides. At first I was told to apply back in Phuket but made a case to suggest I was flying out of the country that evening - I had to repeat that argument three times, all the way up to Inspector level before being allowed to renew in Bangkok. Maybe this is not new to some of you but it certainly is to to me hence now the "heads up".

Basically you extend at the immigration of the province where you live in I imagine. Or am I totally wrong?

But what about those, who for whatever reasons went to Suan Plu for their last extension? I know quite a few people who did that in the past and I am sure they would certainly appreciate if they did not have to do such a the trip twice.

Have just returned from Bangkok where I (just) managed to renew my Retirement Visa and was informed by the folks at Suan Plu that effective a couple of days ago, one year visa's may only be renewed in the Province where the applicant resides.

I recall reading a while back that immigrations was going to start doing this, much to the consternation of those who live in provinces where the immigrations office is "difficult". Perhaps they've just gotten around to its implementation(?).

I was told the same thing last week when I renewed my retirement visa. I had lived the Bangkok the previous 7 years and moved to Si Saket last year. I told them I had to come to Bangkok to have the American Embassy notarize my annual income and it would be much easier to renew my visa at the same time. After some discussion they had me fill outand and sign a form stating why I needed to renew my visa in Bangkok. They said I would be able to renew next year in Bangkok.

Have just returned from Bangkok where I (just) managed to renew my Retirement Visa and was informed by the folks at Suan Plu that effective a couple of days ago, one year visa's may only be renewed in the Province where the applicant resides.

Is there really an immigration in every province? If yes, where can I find the adress?

Is there really an immigration in every province? If yes, where can I find the adress?

Look at the pinned info on top of this forum

Most provinces have a local immigration office not 'too' far away, some are very very friendly and easy to deal with, others not so

Most provinces have a local immigration office not 'too' far away, some are very very friendly and easy to deal with, others not so

You write " most provinces", meaning that some provinces do not have an immigration office. Wher should the people living there go? Neigbouring province or Bangkok?

You write " most provinces", meaning that some provinces do not have an immigration office. Wher should the people living there go? Neigbouring province or Bangkok?

You seem to live in Petchabun and there is certainly an Immigration Dept presence there so you don't need to worry. Perhaps if someone can come up with a Province that doesn't have an Immigration Office (doubtful) they will let us know then we can all move there!

Edited by chiang mai

You seem to live in Petchabun and there is certainly an Immigration Dept presence there so you don't need to worry. Perhaps if someone can come up with a Province that doesn't have an Immigration Office (doubtful) they will let us know then we can all move there!

I lived for 2 years in Uttaradit, the nearest (200+ km away) immigration office was in Nan, very friendly and never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be attended to. I also could have gone to Chiang Mai (250km).

I was trying to avoid a trip to Bangkok.

Now in Khun Han near Sisaket, I have a few choices as we are near the Cambodian border, I used Kap Cheong but plan touse Phu Sing next time (nearer at only 50km). Again both are friendly and no waiting time.

. Perhaps if someone can come up with a Province that doesn't have an Immigration Office (doubtful) they will let us know then we can all move there!

Khon Kaen

I think also Phetchabun as a I cannot find a Phetch telephonenumber in the pinned list.

So fort retirees who base their requirements on monthly income, one hand wants a yearly new income certificate from their embassies and the other wants you to get extension at your nearest immigration office, thus two trips, one to your embassy in Bangkok the second to your nearest imm. office.

Again a brilliant idea from immigration :o

Then better let go the yearly requirement for that income certificate then, most retiress income does not change over the years, isn't?

Edited by tartempion

So fort retirees who base their requirements on monthly income, one hand wants a yearly new income certificate from their embassies and the other wants you to get extension at your nearest immigration office, thus two trips, one to your embassy in Bangkok the second to your nearest imm. office.

Again a brilliant idea from immigration :o

Then better let go the yearly requirement for that income certificate then, most retiress income does not change over the years, isn't?

Embassy letter can be done by post (at least for UK) saving a trip to Bangkok

On the other hand if you go the 800kroute the bank letter must be ordered and picked-up personally

Got My retirement O visa last year in BKK. (Resided there.) Now reside in Cha-Am. Where to go? Does Petchburi have an office? That's the province I reside in.

Or go to the one in Hua-Hin?

Hua-Hin!

Thanks a lot!

Well...that's the first report of this in 2008. Let's wait until we hear more reports before panicking. I know that those who live in Nong Khai will be despondent upon hearig this.

By the way, there is no immigration office in Kohn Kaen.

I don't know what a "pinned list" is. I used google to find a list at http://www.thaivisa.com/immigration_phone.0.html but this list says it was "Updated 2003/10/19", over four years ago. There are virrtually no immigration offices in Isan; the only ones I know of are at Nongkhai and Mukdahan. I live in Roiet and Khonkaen.

I'll be surprised if there is more than one or two Provinces that do not have an Immigration Department function. It may not always be as grand or obvious as the ones in say Pattaya or Chiang Mai and perhaps not everyone in a governmental role will be aware of it, but I reckon it probably exists regardless.

It does seem logical to renew where you live, as they will have your file.

Not sure what you do if there is no local office in your province.

Easy in places like Chonburi where there are at least 3 offices in the province. :o

I'll be surprised if there is more than one or two Provinces that do not have an Immigration Department function. It may not always be as grand or obvious as the ones in say Pattaya or Chiang Mai and perhaps not everyone in a governmental role will be aware of it, but I reckon it probably exists regardless.

Definitely not 'grand'.

This is the one in Nan

post-14577-1211749064_thumb.jpg

I don't know what a "pinned list" is. I used google to find a list at http://www.thaivisa.com/immigration_phone.0.html but this list says it was "Updated 2003/10/19", over four years ago. There are virrtually no immigration offices in Isan; the only ones I know of are at Nongkhai and Mukdahan. I live in Roiet and Khonkaen.

There are at least 3 in South Isaan, Phibum, Phu Sing and Kap Cheong, Korat also has one.

I have to collect my renewed British Passport from the embassy in Bangkok next week as well as my confirmation of pension letter which this year I am getting from the embassy as I will be there anyway. Normally I get the letter from the Honorary Consul in Pattaya.

I had intended to go to Suan Phlu to get my visa transferred and then at the same time hopefully get another 12 month extension of stay. It will be my 13th consecutive extension and all of these have been done at Suan Phlu where my file is.

I reside in the Pattaya area.

Does anyone know if the immigration offices outside Bangkok can make the transfer of stamp from the old passport to the new passport or can this only be completed by Bangkok Immigration.

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Tony

Does anyone know if the immigration offices outside Bangkok can make the transfer of stamp from the old passport to the new passport or can this only be completed by Bangkok Immigration.

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Tony

When I "washed" my Passport I took the new one to Nong Khai and they transfered the Visa etc. while I was there, so I guess the answer to your question is it can be done at any Immigration Office.

Are you sure? I have never heard of a "visa" issued by a Consulate being "transferred" into a new passport by Immigration. What is normally transferred is information about the visa and permitted to stay stamp.

I am a US citizen living in Sukhothai and get the annual renewal for the Non-immigrant "O" visa for marriage to Thai wife. I did this in Bangkok in October. They said nothing about doing it in my own province.

Before going to Bangkok, we actually enquired about doing it locally. Immigration lists an office at the Sukhothai airport, but when we called there, they said there are no services here and referred us to the Tak office.

When we called Tak, they didn't know about the Thai wife annual extension and only offered us the Retirement extension. Since they didn't seem to know what they were doing, we elected to go to Bangkok, which also gives us the opportunity for shopping. Of course, I also have to go to the US Embassy for the income declaration.

We had planned to go to Bangkok again in October. Would they turn me away there?

Thanks,

John