Spending Money In Thailand For 2 Weeks

winnie111

Hi all,

Me and my boyfriend are going to Thailand in August for 2 weeks, we have not booked any internal flights or hostels/hotels. We are hoping to travel round as much as possible.

How much spending money would you recommend we each take/jointly take?

we will not be going shopping or anything and are very up for staying in cheap hostels.

i have seen a few forums where people have asked this same question, but they all seem to have paid for their internal flights and accomodation - which we havent!

thanks

It's quite hard to say on the limited information that you have given, but I would say about 1000 quid each should do the job. I'm basing my (very rough) figures on (per person)

14 nights cheapish accommodation at an average of 8 quid a night = 112

4 internal flights at an average of 40 quid a flight = 160 (prices range from 25 - 60 quid for these, Samui flight is expensive)

Then an average of say 50 quid a day spending money = 700

That lot comes to 972 (per person). I think a young, adventurous couple should be able to have a pretty dam_n good time on this budget.

Obviously sharing a room will save you money or mean you can stay in slightly better places based on this budget. Accommodation costs are difficult to predict as you can stay in places from 3 or 4 quid per room if you so wish.

Have fun!! :o

Edited by thecatman

A 1 star hotel and 4 course dinner? Okay...

Anyway, you could head to Khao San Rd in Bangkok for loads of cheap accommodation - 200-500 baht a night, depending on the levels of comfort you require. 250 can get you a basic en-suite room, but no aircon, tv, fridge etc.

Food is pretty cheap, at least when compared to western food. Don't sweat it - you'll find all you want very cheaply.

Hi all,

Me and my boyfriend are going to Thailand in August for 2 weeks, we have not booked any internal flights or hostels/hotels. We are hoping to travel round as much as possible.

How much spending money would you recommend we each take/jointly take?

we will not be going shopping or anything and are very up for staying in cheap hostels.

i have seen a few forums where people have asked this same question, but they all seem to have paid for their internal flights and accomodation - which we havent!

thanks

You can spend very little in Thailand in 2 weeks. August is low leason, so the resorts will be cheap (maybe not Samui though) - you should easily be able to pick up decent ensuite guesthouse rooms for 4-500 baht a night - prices are per room, not person btw. There's tonnes of it too, so no need to book ahead.

You can pick up internal flights for 1500-2000 each, although you might strike it lucky with the airlines' frequent special offers, which can be less than a 1000. You can get overnight sleeper trains to Chiang Mai in the north and Samui in the south, which cost about 800 baht each, and are pretty good - they'll also save you a night's accommodation, of course. You can get minibuses from samui to phuket and/or krabi, Phi Phi etc. Very cheap but hardly luxurious. Buses are dirt cheap if you're prepared to rough it a bit - the VIP ones aren't bad at all in fact. Take a jumper and a sleeping pill and you'll wake up in your next location with a bulging purse to boot.

Ultimately it's up to you how much you spend. Flying's not too expensive; train, bus and minibuses are dirt cheap. Food's cheap, so is accommodation. Both are good quality too, so you don't need to rough it. Beer is always the big one for me - it's cheaper than the west, but not thatmuch cheaper. After that, it depends on how many organised tours etc you choose to do.

You can get by on a lot less than 1000 quid each for 2 weeks. I'd say you can comfortable do this amount for the 2 of you.

thanks for that!

i mean 4 course as in one plate vegie, one plate meat, one soup, one omelette and rice to go along with it.

i'll be going there in january for holidays. is that peak season?

do u know of any nice accommodation around the Khlong Maha Nak or the Wat Thep Sirin area?

4 course as in one plate vegie, one plate meat, one soup, one omelette and rice to go along with it.
Depending on location - 35 Baht will buy you a meal of meat, some veg and rice. Generally drinking water is provided free in a mug. Cheap sodas from 10 Baht a bottle -> 20 Baht for upmarket brands.

Noodle soup is about 25-30 Baht a bowl depending on the style.

Generally you will get a fried egg for 5 -10 Baht.

I posted this link here some time ago - you may find it useful.

cheers for that info will read it up when i am not so hungry. :o

but just wanna know if there is any nice affordable accommodation around Khlong Maha Nak or the Wat Thep Sirin or Ban Bat or Rong Muang? somewhere between those areas would be nice..

Malaysia Hotel in Bangkok is an amazing deal at 700 baht per night. great, cheap Thai restaurant, close to subway and Silom Rd., pool, don't tell too many people.....I want to get a room too.