Telephone Connections In Thailand

Dixie

I was just wondering whether the telephone plugs and sockets where the same in Thailand as they are in the UK. I’ve got some leads and adaptors I was going to bring over for when I purchase a computer and wondered if they would be any good, also would a speed touch modem be any good?

I was just wondering whether the telephone plugs and sockets where the same in Thailand as they are in the UK. I've got some leads and adaptors I was going to bring over for when I purchase a computer and wondered if they would be any good, also would a speed touch modem be any good?

If you intend to purchase a computer here leads etc, are usually in the package. Unless you have something special you want to plug into the computer it isn't worth the bother.

Telephone connections are mostly the old UK standard which is the small wall connecting plug. When I travel to the UK I have to use a different telephone connection lead for my laptop.

Any adaptors are worth having around as sometimes they come in handy.

Cheers

The connector is different, UK having decided to lead the world from behind again so you'll be needing an adaptor, Thailand uses the RJ-11 plug http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rj11_connector.jpg , same as the US.

You'd be advised to get a UK => RJ adaptor as even if the phone lead has an RJ on the phone end it may have non-standard connections.

Provided you can get the connections right pretty well any phone/modem should work.

You mean you can get a telephone line in Thailand? two out of my three houses haven't had and never look like getting a telephone line, sorry one has the copper going to it but I would have to buy a number from a neighbour as the local exchange is unable to provide a number.

Hello Ipstar... :o

You mean you can get a telephone line in Thailand? two out of my three houses haven't had and never look like getting a telephone line, sorry one has the copper going to it but I would have to buy a number from a neighbour as the local exchange is unable to provide a number.

Hello Ipstar... :D

The old thickish brown envelope still works at the phone company Tuk. :o

Hi,

I have a similar question as to regards ROUTERS. I was trying to find time to post a message and ask.

I have a NETGEAR Router in the UK. I was going to bring back with me. Obviously, there would have to be changes as to regards port addresses etc. Or would there? Howewer, Would it operate here?

Please reply to my Private message box, with replies of help. Appreciated.

Mike

Hi,

I have a similar question as to regards ROUTERS. I was trying to find time to post a message and ask.

I have a NETGEAR Router in the UK. I was going to bring back with me. Obviously, there would have to be changes as to regards port addresses etc. Or would there? Howewer, Would it operate here?

Please reply to my Private message box, with replies of help. Appreciated.

Mike

I'm not sure why someone said that they need an adapter but the Thai telephone cables / routers / modems are all wired exactly the same as the UK with the same plugs so you will be fine.

I'm not sure why someone said that they need an adapter but the Thai telephone cables / routers / modems are all wired exactly the same as the UK with the same plugs so you will be fine.

You may need an adaptor because this is a UK phone plug UK_PH_ADAPTOR.jpg

There are two possible issues:-

The plug

UK phones use a 3 wire system (A+B+AT)

The problem will manifest itself when you receive an incoming call, the phone may not ring (or the fax/modem may not notice the incoming call and ignore it).

Your UK phone/modem/fax may work just fine by replacing the cord (the rules on 2/3 wire were relaxed a few years back) but if you have a phone that needs 3 wire you'll not get it to work properly without a UK master socket :o

As noted by EM routers and many modems use the RJ11 so there will be no issue, it's mainly phones and fax machines which may have problems.