Childhood.....

Soph

Wasnt sure wether to put this in Teaching forum, but figured there are lots of people with children on this forum and would be very interested in your thoughts on this.

Ive just finished studying International perspectives on childhood and it got me thinking about children in Thailand compared to the West. For example, do you think kids have a lot more freedom in Thailand compared to the overprotected West and what do you think about what it means to be a child in Thailand - as it obviously differes between socities.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts......

(Mods, please feel free to move this if ive put it in the wrong bit)

It'll totally vary by family, but I felt like I had total freedom growing up in the west whereas I wouldn't feel comfortable affording the same freedom to my children here. That said, there's something to be said about changing times as well, not just the change in location.

:o

agree, I can remember running round the street freely when i was young, but my thoughts were that children in the UK seem to have alot less freedom - what with media coverage freaking everyone out - in thailand it does seem that kids have more of a chance to play freely, although again I suppose that is dependant on where you live.

In and around the Moo Baan where I live there are lots of (Thai) children playing with soccer balls and riding bicycles most evenings, which is not that different from my memories of getting home from school, doing my homework and then going out to play with friends before bedtime.

I think the biggest difference is that on holidays etc nobody ventures out until late afternoon because it is so hot. Obviously that was never an issue when I grew up in Wales and Yorkshire!

I had a very restricted childhood, compared to most Americans even but especially compared to Thais! In the village I have lived in for the past 4 years, the kids seem to get their first motorbike at around 6, and it is all downhill from there. They cruise the streets doing pretty much whatever they please. I don't think Thai parents (mothers especially) discipline their kids so much.

...I would say that thai parents are in many ways more overprotective of their kids...at least the rich families were...

My parents...let me do what I please for the most part. When I was an exchange student here...I was not allowed to go outside past 4 or 5 pm....at least not by myself. It might have been partly because I am a farang, but my host sister had the same restrictions that I did.

Little kids...might be a little different, but I find Thai parents are overprotective of their kids a lot more than in the west (at least, like i said, the rich families. The poor families..maybe not so much?) Personally...I am glad I had my childhood in America!

For sure I ate lots of rice w/ star egg for breakfast compared to western kids..........as a kid I could eat it 5 mornings in a row YUMMY!, but now not too sure

You have responsibilities to making your parents happy (sometimes at all costs!)

Rule of the house - absolutely no cursing, and staying outside later than 6pm

As a child, I was raised to have ears but no mouth. But time is changing. Luckily most times I covered my ears :o

And forget about applying your critical thinking too often in the house, so I opted to study outside Thailand after my M3 instead

Edited by teacup

It is hard to compare. Before coming here, I worked among indigenous Maya in very isolated settings, where all the children assumed serious adult responsibilities (like farming chores, tending the store, fetching water, going to town alone on errands) starting around age 6 to 8, and were fully responsible adults ready to marry at age 14. At first I thought I was seeing the same thing in Thailand, but no.

I have noticed a lot of cases where Thai children are allowed to attend adult functions quietly without close supervision, and they even go to the swimming pool alone, or to the store. But more often, they travel in groups of 2 to 5 children of more or less the same age range.

Again, it varies. My daughter's Beverly-Hills style "moobahn" is an exclusive, ungated suburb where the kids can move freely from house to house, much as their grandparents did. I have seen similar, gated moobahns here.

Gotta agree with that so far as well. I have to say I have it a lot easier than my parents did. There's much more support (both hired and family) that allows me to focus on the less messier aspects of parenthood. Yeah, some say I might be missing out, but some things you only have to try once or twice IMO.

:o