Ubc Not Working Is It The Rain?

LP-BKK

Hi All,

For the last couple of days most of the channels on my Gold UBC package have not been working getting a E48 or E52 message. Now it has been raining here in Bangkok as well for the last couple of days but it is a bit strange that the news and some sports channels are still working.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

LP

It has to rain pretty hard to stop UBC and invariably it takes out all channels for a few minutes.

I suggest that you power off and unplug your receiver for a few minutes and see if it recovers, otherwise time to call the UBC True call centre, good luck :o

Hi All,

For the last couple of days most of the channels on my Gold UBC package have not been working getting a E48 or E52 message.

The Irdeto Error message 'E48' means (google is your friend);

E48 No Signal : Your receiver has lost the incoming signal, but the cause is unknown. It may be possible to reset your receiver by unplugging for 30 seconds. It may also be necessary to troubleshoot the problem using techniques listed above. If this happens frequently, it probably indicates a problem unrelated to software, such as poor dish alignment, poor lnb tuning, intermittent obstructions, failing cables, or failing LNB voltage. It is also possible that your receiver is taking "power hits" from varying AC voltage in your home.

Yes, that's normal if you have DSTV.

Just curious from the experts out there? How normal is this (UBC True TV signal cutting off when it rains)?

I have a UBC dish in Bangkok and it cuts off at the first hint of heavy rain. I also have an IndoVision dish (in Indonesia that from all outside appearances looks just the same shape and size to a novice such as me as my UBC dish) and it never cuts off in any heavy rainstorms. What's the difference?

Also my IndoVision dish downloads and displays program schedules and synopsis for more than a week ahead whereas my UBC can only show the current and next program on air.

Does one assume UBC are just a crap service in todays day and age, but we are screwed as there is no other choice? All comments and help appreciated.

I would make a guess that your dish is not aligned properly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or as stated cables, LNB or box issues? As for the box and what you can see as for displays,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UBC is lazy in setting up their system to display current program info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the box and system are quite capable of giving you the same info as your Indo Vision,,,,,,,,,,,,True is just not sending it

Just curious from the experts out there? How normal is this (UBC True TV signal cutting off when it rains)?

I also have an IndoVision dish (in Indonesia that from all outside appearances looks just the same shape and size to a novice such as me as my UBC dish) and it never cuts off in any heavy rainstorms. What's the difference?

Your truevisions systems should work very well in most rains here on a 75cm dish. It is not normal to lose the signal on a hint of cloud or a sniff of rain as another poster above says. However as the error message says above, it is most likely not working for a number of reasons and not least due to poor alignment of the dish.

If you have the Indovision box (Humax) and dish system you can not compare it to the Thai Truevisions system.

On the signal side of things, Indovision works on the low band called the S band (2.5ghz - 2.9ghz ) and Truevisions works on the high band called the Ku band (12ghz to 12.75ghz). The higher in frequency you go the more rain fade will effect the signals. You will note these two networks you speak of are 10ghz or 10,000mhz apart. They are also on very different satellites in different parts of the sky. On the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) front, it is up to each network operator to what they provide, and certainly now Truevisions has up to a week or more of data on many of their channels. On the programming front, there are many differences as you know. Indovision has the "Australian Network", Truevisions does not etc etc.

Sorry to wonder off the topic here, but the Indovision S Band LNB you have (the big white round thing in your dish) is great for looking at many other local analog TV streams operating in the S band (where most Thai wifi is as well) i.e flying drones, microwave feeds etc.. One of the reasons the LNB factory based in Taiwan will only sell them to Indonesia and no where else.

Edited by jsat

Hi All,

For the last couple of days most of the channels on my Gold UBC package have not been working getting a E48 or E52 message. Now it has been raining here in Bangkok as well for the last couple of days but it is a bit strange that the news and some sports channels are still working.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

LP

Hi,

I  had this E48 error recently on some of the channels and I called up UBC office. I was told to do the followings.

1. To pull off the wall plug.

2. Take the smart card off the decoder and clean it with a piece of cloth and insert it back.

3. Insert the electric plug back and switch on the decoder.

It worked.

Thanks for the guidance CMFALMER, I too get the E48 lock-up EVERY time there is a downpour. I have always just assumed it normal crap service that everyone gets and nothing can be done to recify it.

I wonder if my dish needs re-aligning????

Dave

Yes, that's normal if you have DSTV.

I have a UBC dish in Bangkok and it cuts off at the first hint of heavy rain. I also have an IndoVision dish (in Indonesia that from all outside appearances looks just the same shape and size to a novice such as me as my UBC dish) and it never cuts off in any heavy rainstorms. What's the difference?

Also my IndoVision dish downloads and displays program schedules and synopsis for more than a week ahead whereas my UBC can only show the current and next program on air.

Does one assume UBC are just a crap service in todays day and age, but we are screwed as there is no other choice? All comments and help appreciated.

yes :o

Sorry to wonder off the topic here, but the Indovision S Band LNB you have (the big white round thing in your dish) is great for looking at many other local analog TV streams operating in the S band (where most Thai wifi is as well) i.e flying drones, microwave feeds etc.. One of the reasons the LNB factory based in Taiwan will only sell them to Indonesia and no where else.

Hello :o

OFF TOPIC but i HAVE to add this - in Indonesia such things are weird indeed! I have two mobile phones "Samsung" from Hutch, the same model is also sold in Indonesia, and for that reason the FM radio in either phone goes from 76 to 108 MHz.... not starting at 87.5 like a usual one :D

Those would be VERY popular in my home country Germany, where police and fire fighter's radio communication happens around 84 MHz :D

Best regards....

Thanh

Thanks for the guidance CMFALMER, I too get the E48 lock-up EVERY time there is a downpour. I have always just assumed it normal crap service that everyone gets and nothing can be done to recify it.

I wonder if my dish needs re-aligning????

Dave

Hi,

Don't know about the dish alignment part.

Just checked the signal value of my set. It's 255 as always.

We are in Chiangmai. When the rain is not heavy I still get good reception. But when there is a downpour, although the signal value is still at 255, I see the message 'looking for signal' and nothing to see.

On the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) front, it is up to each network operator to what they provide, and certainly now Truevisions has up to a week or more of data on many of their channels.

Thanks for your helpful answer, and hoping not to go too far off topic, why does my UBC dish not offer the weeks data jsat speaks of?

Since I have had this dish system (now called TrueUBC Gold) (since 2001) it simply shows the current and next program data (name and synopsis if avail) to be shown on each channel. Am I missing out on something?

On the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) front, it is up to each network operator to what they provide, and certainly now Truevisions has up to a week or more of data on many of their channels.

Thanks for your helpful answer, and hoping not to go too far off topic, why does my UBC dish not offer the weeks data jsat speaks of?

Since I have had this dish system (now called TrueUBC Gold) (since 2001) it simply shows the current and next program data (name and synopsis if avail) to be shown on each channel. Am I missing out on something?

Hi Digitalbanana

Mine used to do the same but there was an auto-upgrade around 8 months ago that now shows the complete days programs list but no further than the current day. I too am on TrueVision/UBC Gold.

Dave

Hi Digitalbanana

Mine used to do the same but there was an auto-upgrade around 8 months ago that now shows the complete days programs list but no further than the current day. I too am on TrueVision/UBC Gold.

Dave

Excuse the long post here.

I do not have the answer as to why (different things for different set top boxes I guess) but if I look at say the EPG for the History channel I get this (the next 4 days) on my set top box;

HIST

24.05.2008 13:00 GOLD:CITIES OF THE UNDERWORLD

Genre: n/a

What are the underground layers of the most populated cities on earth? And how did (and do) engineers build layer upon layer up to today's city streets?

24.05.2008 14:00 GOLD:LOST BOOK OF NOSTRADAMUS

In 1994, Enza Massa found mysterious manuscript written by Nostradamus. Contained in the pages of the book are cryptic, bizarre images that some say are prophecies of our future.

24.05.2008 16:00 GOLD:SHOOTOUT!

Sometimes, they took minutes. Others, several hours. Each engagement was a battle of wits - strategies - technology, and luck. Examines a famous shootout in history.

24.05.2008 17:00 GOLD:BATTLE STATIONS

Discover the stories of military machines in combat, the great wartime designs, the problems and struggles of developing this winning technology.

24.05.2008 18:00 GOLD:BLOOD DIAMONDS

In the 1990s, the money and weapons exchanged in return for diamonds have helped fund some of the bloodiest civil wars in Africa. The stones have become known as 'blood diamonds”.

24.05.2008 20:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

During the harsh winter, remote Canadian villages are cut off from the world. To keep them supplied, truckers drive their rigs on ice roads across the surface of frozen lakes.

24.05.2008 21:00 GOLD:ANCIENT MYSTERIES

This fascinating documentary explores the startling discovery of over 7,000 life-size terra cotta statues and the tomb of a Chinese emperor protected by his own army of soldiers.

24.05.2008 22:00 GOLD:INVESTIGATING HISTORY

Challenge accepted fact to uncover the truth behind history's most intriguing topics using the latest DNA and new archaeological evidence.

24.05.2008 23:00 GOLD:THIS WEEK IN HISTORY

One week in time holds an amazing wealth of stories. We gather triumphs, tragedies, and trivia of this week in history, from ancient to modern times.

24.05.2008 23:30 GOLD:THE TECH EFFECT

Look at many critical moments in history where technology made the difference.

25.05.2008 00:00 GOLD:BLOOD DIAMONDS

In the 1990s, the money and weapons exchanged in return for diamonds have helped fund some of the bloodiest civil wars in Africa. The stones have become known as 'blood diamonds”.

25.05.2008 02:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

During the harsh winter, remote Canadian villages are cut off from the world. To keep them supplied, truckers drive their rigs on ice roads across the surface of frozen lakes.

25.05.2008 03:00 GOLD:ANCIENT MYSTERIES

This fascinating documentary explores the startling discovery of over 7,000 life-size terra cotta statues and the tomb of a Chinese emperor protected by his own army of soldiers.

25.05.2008 04:00 GOLD:INVESTIGATING HISTORY

Challenge accepted fact to uncover the truth behind history's most intriguing topics using the latest DNA and new archaeological evidence.

25.05.2008 05:00 GOLD:THIS WEEK IN HISTORY

One week in time holds an amazing wealth of stories. We gather triumphs, tragedies, and trivia of this week in history, from ancient to modern times.

25.05.2008 05:30 GOLD:THE TECH EFFECT

25.05.2008 06:00 GOLD:ANCIENT MYSTERIES

25.05.2008 07:00 GOLD:INVESTIGATING HISTORY

25.05.2008 08:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

25.05.2008 09:00 GOLD:THE SAMURAI

Explore the history and mystery of the Samurai, as present-day Samurai demonstrate their ancient skills and reveal the meaning and ritual of Bushido.

25.05.2008 11:00 GOLD:THIS WEEK IN HISTORY

25.05.2008 11:30 GOLD:THE TECH EFFECT

25.05.2008 12:00 GOLD:ANCIENT MYSTERIES

25.05.2008 13:00 GOLD:INVESTIGATING HISTORY

25.05.2008 14:00 GOLD:BLOOD DIAMONDS

25.05.2008 16:00 GOLD:GUTS & BOLTS

Ever wanted to dive in your own submarine? Or wondered how a Zamboni works? Let’s take a look at the history and inner-workings of today's most fascinating technology.

25.05.2008 16:30 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

25.05.2008 17:23 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

25.05.2008 18:15 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

25.05.2008 19:08 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

25.05.2008 20:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

25.05.2008 21:00 GOLD:HUMAN WEAPON

Two martial arts adventurers go on a quest to find the master of a different martial art. Karate, Muay Thai, Kung <deleted> -- each is the unique product of a fascinating past.

25.05.2008 22:00 GOLD:CONSPIRACY?

25.05.2008 23:00 GOLD:UFO FILES

Following the success of UFOs: What You Didn't Know, these programs offer new stories of unexplained sightings and happenings.

26.05.2008 00:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 01:00 GOLD:HUMAN WEAPON

Two martial arts adventurers go on a quest to find the master of a different martial art. Karate, Muay Thai, Kung <deleted> -- each is the unique product of a fascinating past.

26.05.2008 02:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 03:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 04:00 GOLD:CONSPIRACY?

26.05.2008 05:00 GOLD:UFO FILES

Following the success of UFOs: What You Didn't Know, these programs offer new stories of unexplained sightings and happenings.

26.05.2008 06:00 GOLD:LOST BOOK OF NOSTRADAMUS

In 1994, Enza Massa found mysterious manuscript written by Nostradamus. Contained in the pages of the book are cryptic, bizarre images that some say are prophecies of our future.

26.05.2008 08:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 09:00 GOLD:HUMAN WEAPON

26.05.2008 10:00 GOLD:CONSPIRACY?

26.05.2008 11:00 GOLD:UFO FILES

26.05.2008 12:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 13:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 14:00 GOLD:ICE ROAD TRUCKERS

26.05.2008 15:00 GOLD:HUMAN WEAPON

26.05.2008 16:00 GOLD:CONSPIRACY?

26.05.2008 17:00 GOLD:UFO FILES

26.05.2008 18:00 GOLD:MUMMY THE INSIDE STORY

The British Museum in London resurrects an Egyptian mummy in cyberspace with a 3D model that can be unwrapped on the computer.

26.05.2008 22:00 GOLD:DEEP SEA DETECTIVES

Teams of deep water detectives use today's cutting edge technology to make a shipwreck tell its story.

26.05.2008 23:00 GOLD:NAZI GUERILLAS

After WWII, Nazi loyalists try to derail reconstruction by sabotage whilst die-hard SS officers formed the Werewolves to revive the Nazi Party.

27.05.2008 00:00 GOLD:MUMMY THE INSIDE STORY

The British Museum in London resurrects an Egyptian mummy in cyberspace with a 3D model that can be unwrapped on the computer.

27.05.2008 01:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

Learn about the world's most powerful computer that operates at 12 trillion calculations a second. And peer through a microscope to see the molecular computers of the future.

27.05.2008 02:00 GOLD:DIGGING FOR THE TRUTH

Biblical archaeologists set out to dig up the truth but may uncover more than they bargained for, when their recent finds seem to contradict many of the stories of the Bible.

27.05.2008 03:00 GOLD:THIS WEEK IN HISTORY

27.05.2008 03:30 GOLD:THE TECH EFFECT

27.05.2008 04:00 GOLD:DEEP SEA DETECTIVES

Teams of deep water detectives use today's cutting edge technology to make a shipwreck tell its story.

27.05.2008 05:00 GOLD:NAZI GUERILLAS

After WWII, Nazi loyalists try to derail reconstruction by sabotage whilst die-hard SS officers formed the Werewolves to revive the Nazi Party.

27.05.2008 06:00 GOLD:MUMMY THE INSIDE STORY

27.05.2008 07:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

Learn about the world's most powerful computer that operates at 12 trillion calculations a second. And peer through a microscope to see the molecular computers of the future.

27.05.2008 08:00 GOLD:DIGGING FOR THE TRUTH

Biblical archaeologists set out to dig up the truth but may uncover more than they bargained for, when their recent finds seem to contradict many of the stories of the Bible.

27.05.2008 09:00 GOLD:CITIES OF THE UNDERWORLD

What are the underground layers of the most populated cities on earth? And how did (and do) engineers build layer upon layer up to today's city streets?

27.05.2008 10:00 GOLD:DEEP SEA DETECTIVES

27.05.2008 11:00 GOLD:NAZI GUERILLAS

27.05.2008 12:00 GOLD:MUMMY THE INSIDE STORY

27.05.2008 13:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

27.05.2008 14:00 GOLD:DIGGING FOR THE TRUTH

27.05.2008 15:00 GOLD:CITIES OF THE UNDERWORLD

27.05.2008 16:00 GOLD:DEEP SEA DETECTIVES

27.05.2008 17:00 GOLD:NAZI GUERILLAS

27.05.2008 18:00 GOLD:THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD

The son of a poor merchant, Muhammad grew up to be the founder of founder of Islam. He exhorted people to a pious, moral life, and a merciful God, who chose him as his prophet.

27.05.2008 19:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

27.05.2008 20:00 GOLD:BATTLE STATIONS

Discover the stories of military machines in combat, the great wartime designs, the problems and struggles of developing this winning technology.

27.05.2008 21:00 GOLD:SHOOTOUT!

Sometimes, they took minutes. Others, several hours. Each engagement was a battle of wits - strategies - technology, and luck. Examines a famous shootout in history.

27.05.2008 22:00 GOLD:JOHN RABE: THE UNLIKELY HERO

27.05.2008 23:00 GOLD:DIRTY GOLD

28.05.2008 00:00 GOLD:THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD

The son of a poor merchant, Muhammad grew up to be the founder of founder of Islam. He exhorted people to a pious, moral life, and a merciful God, who chose him as his prophet.

28.05.2008 01:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

28.05.2008 02:00 GOLD:MEGA DISASTERS

This show simulates how our modern cities might hold up in the face of some very old global catastrophes, including the mass extinction from a meteor impact 380 million years ago.

28.05.2008 03:00 GOLD:SHOOTOUT!

28.05.2008 04:00 GOLD:JOHN RABE: THE UNLIKELY HERO

28.05.2008 05:00 GOLD:DIRTY GOLD

28.05.2008 06:00 GOLD:THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD

28.05.2008 07:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

28.05.2008 08:00 GOLD:BATTLE STATIONS

28.05.2008 09:00 GOLD:SHOOTOUT!

28.05.2008 10:00 GOLD:JOHN RABE: THE UNLIKELY HERO

28.05.2008 11:00 GOLD:DIRTY GOLD

28.05.2008 12:00 GOLD:THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD

28.05.2008 13:00 GOLD:MODERN MARVELS

Edited by jsat

Thanks for the replies guys. In my case I would just get:

HIST

24.05.2008 13:00 GOLD:CITIES OF THE UNDERWORLD

24.05.2008 14:00 GOLD:LOST BOOK OF NOSTRADAMUS

and no more.... the previous poster alerted to an auto upgrade than cannot have happened on my set. Will give them a call and ask them to fix it I guess.