The Emporium

DJ Pat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been meaning to reply since my handle does convey such pertinence to the thread! :o I personally like Emporium but admit to the initial slight hesitation when it first opened since it seemed like another Gaysorn. But after having gotten acquainted with the place mainly due to my work, I've grown very fond of the place now. It's a center to meet up with friends, have lunch/dinner, browse the bookshops, shop for household items, window shop, catch a movie, catch up on a book or work on your laptop around the Emporium tower, and kill time as mentioned in the topic.

The thing to remember is, who gives a %^$& about those type of people? I understand what you're trying to say DJ Pat and know what you are implying but the more you take notice of them the more they like it. Better to just go along with your own business and enjoy the place and not the clutter surrounding it.

Well hope your days of any-sort-of shopping experiences be filled with much happiness and enjoyment!

What's wrong with the Emporium? Nice, cool, spacious... as opposed to a place like MBK, faulty aircon, crowded. On a crusade against Emporium shoppers, people who have made it in life and want a bit of comfort? Ummm... silly really to start such a no brainer topic. Different people, different tastes for shopping. Jealous? Admit, you must be one of those teachers from the ajarn site?

PS no need to comment on my Englsih. I am from Spain :o

I hate poseurs and when I spy one of the farang variety, wearing his shades and fancy footwear, I wanna punch his lights out. Simple as that.

we are all posers. its part of projecting your ego and your image to others.

some people pose up with shades and fancy footwear, some pose down with backpacks and tattoos, some pose with scruffy clothes and a scowl.

its only when you make an effort and start talking and listening to people that you can start to make valid judgements about them.

like the judgement i have made about you from the cr4p you spout.

so, please leave us all alone. its none of your fcking business what i wear or where i shop.

taxexile said:

we are all posers. its part of projecting your ego and your image to others.

some people pose up with shades and fancy footwear, some pose down with backpacks and tattoos, some pose with scruffy clothes and a scowl.

its only when you make an effort and start talking and listening to people that you can start to make valid judgements about them.

like the judgement i have made about you from the cr4p you spout.

so, please leave us all alone. its none of your fcking business what i wear or where i shop.

Now why did I think he came from Yorkshire?

Kinokuniya - the best book store in Asia so far.  And the one in the Emporium is incredible - it's like being in a great bookstore in the West.  And it's cool with seats, and the books are not wrapped in cellophane - I love it there.

I assume you're joking, right? Kino is absolutely nothing like 'a great bookstore in the West.' Jeez, it's not even like being in an average bookstore in Singapore.

Kino's main store in Singapore is, I'd guess, twenty times the size of Kino in the Emporium with twenty times the stock, and then they have three more branches there that are far, far larger than their store in Bangkok. Borders in Singapore is equally large and well stocked, as are at least another dozen bookstores there. Even Hong Kong has finally begun to develope real bookstores.

'The best bookstore in Asia'? Man, you realy don't get out much, do you?

[/quote

:o

Alas, no I don't. I haven't been to Singapore or Hong Kong yet. I was going to say that the Emporium's Kino was "almost" as good as a Western bookstore, but then I thought that would soud condescending. But still, they are ###### good. I guess I was just so rapturous for being grateful to find a bookstore that carried more than the weekly bestsellers.

Kinokuniya - the best book store in Asia so far. And the one in the Emporium is incredible - it's like being in a great bookstore in the West. And it's cool with seats, and the books are not wrapped in cellophane - I love it there.

I assume you're joking, right? Kino is absolutely nothing like 'a great bookstore in the West.' Jeez, it's not even like being in an average bookstore in Singapore.

Kino's main store in Singapore is, I'd guess, twenty times the size of Kino in the Emporium with twenty times the stock, and then they have three more branches there that are far, far larger than their store in Bangkok. Borders in Singapore is equally large and well stocked, as are at least another dozen bookstores there. Even Hong Kong has finally begun to develope real bookstores.

[/quote

Alas, no I don't. I haven't been to Singapore or Hong Kong yet. I was going to say that the Emporium's Kino was "almost" as good as a Western bookstore, but then I thought that would soud condescending. But still, they are ###### good. I guess I was just so rapturous for being grateful to find a bookstore that carried more than the weekly bestsellers.

So... what are the prices like in this place for a book then... ? Usually I end up paying about bt600 for one.

totster :D

Kinokuniya - the best book store in Asia so far. And the one in the Emporium is incredible - it's like being in a great bookstore in the West. And it's cool with seats, and the books are not wrapped in cellophane - I love it there.

[/quote

So... what are the prices like in this place for a book then... ? Usually I end up paying about bt600 for one.

totster :D

Yeah, I know. The last time I was there I spent about 1800 baht. But I am unemployed now, which is why the lack of cellophane there is so appealing :D But I still stand by my point somewhat, they are at least the best book store on mainland SEA. :D But seriously, I was just extremely happy to find a bookstore with good non-fiction and political titles, which they have.

Maybe I was rather harsh to begin with but not many of you have disagreed so I'll take that as you all agreeing with my views.

harsh? diluted crap mate. consider this a disagreement.

Hi DJ Pat, do you like my new shades :o ? I'm wearing bitchin new shoes too.

What im all about , is just a guy that loves thailand and wants to learn as much about it as I can . I will be moving there in six months and could use all the good information I can get

the more you learn, the less you will love it. just another country with some wonderful people and lots of nightmares. oh yes, also a bit of ancient culture hidden away behind the obsession with money and image. welcome! :o

What im all about , is just a guy that loves thailand and wants to learn as much about it as I can . I will be moving there in six months and could use all the good information I can get

the more you learn, the less you will love it. just another country with some wonderful people and lots of nightmares. oh yes, also a bit of ancient culture hidden away behind the obsession with money and image. welcome! :o

A pretty fair summation I'd reckon.

the more you learn, the less you will love it. just another country with some wonderful people and lots of nightmares. oh yes, also a bit of ancient culture hidden away behind the obsession with money and image. welcome! :D

thanks. i don't usually write comments, just sigh to myself, but this time i just had to. such a lot of boring and pretentious rubbish. the emporium is for people with more money than brains, as nearly everything there can be found elsewhere cheaper, and without people hanging around reading farang newspapers for free. so boring, and the toilets are full of expectant sausage guzzlers too. aiyaaah. :o

thanks. i don't usually write comments, just sigh to myself, but this time i just had to. such a lot of boring and pretentious rubbish. the emporium is for people with more money than brains, as nearly everything there can be found elsewhere cheaper, and without people hanging around reading farang newspapers for free. so boring, and the toilets are full of expectant sausage guzzlers too. aiyaaah

Thank you so much for agreeing with me!

reading farang newspapers for free.

one of the joys of a trip to the emporium is being able to browse the falang magazines and press without feeling the need to buy , just as you would browse a book before deciding to buy or not .

some of the posters on this topic seem to have a thing against the emporium purely because it is a high priced mall.

you people should return to your true vocation in life , flogging "the big issue" on the streets of camden , manchester or leeds , or running charity shops on one of britains dismal high streets. yours is the politics of envy.

thailand ,with its aspirational society , is not the place for you .

the emporium is a great escape from the heat and fumes and crowds of the street.

you cant spend all your time down the markets and eating at foodstalls or looking for the cheapest t-shirt in town , sometimes its necessary to have an upmarket experience.

but i agree with you on one thing , dont look anybody in the eyes when in or around the toilets.

if you are , as i suspect , teachers of english , one can only hope you are not brainwashing your pupils with your left wing ideals .

the more you learn, the less you will love it. just another country with some wonderful people and lots of nightmares. oh yes, also a bit of ancient culture hidden away behind the obsession with money and image. welcome! :D

thanks. i don't usually write comments, just sigh to myself, but this time i just had to. such a lot of boring and pretentious rubbish. the emporium is for people with more money than brains, as nearly everything there can be found elsewhere cheaper, and without people hanging around reading farang newspapers for free. so boring, and the toilets are full of expectant sausage guzzlers too. aiyaaah. :o

tumdee: Member 9213, Joined 21 April 2004, Posts: 5! Welcome to the Forum! I thought it was a good summation too! Keep posting! :D

reading farang newspapers for free.

one of the joys of a trip to the emporium is being able to browse the falang magazines and press without feeling the need to buy , just as you would browse a book before deciding to buy or not .

some of the posters on this topic seem to have a thing against the emporium purely because it is a high priced mall.

you people should return to your true vocation in life , flogging "the big issue" on the streets of camden , manchester or leeds , or running charity shops on one of britains dismal high streets. yours is the politics of envy.

thailand ,with its aspirational society , is not the place for you .

the emporium is a great escape from the heat and fumes and crowds of the street.

you cant spend all your time down the markets and eating at foodstalls or looking for the cheapest t-shirt in town , sometimes its necessary to have an upmarket experience.

but i agree with you on one thing , dont look anybody in the eyes when in or around the toilets.

if you are , as i suspect , teachers of english , one can only hope you are not brainwashing your pupils with your left wing ideals .

I would agree; the Emporium is what is. The only reason this thread is long is because the original poster put his foot in his mouth to agitate things. The whole thing could have been much shorter and simpler. I'm done.

One thing I really used to hate about the Emporium is the car-park guy's whistle. You could hear that being blown every f***ing 2 seconds right across the entire Benjasiri Park alongside - even to the far side where they play takraw. :o

>I assume you're joking, right? Kino is absolutely nothing like 'a great bookstore in the West.' Jeez, it's not even like being in an average bookstore in Singapore.

FYI, Kino at the Times square in Tokyo is probably 2 times entire Emporium retail space.

What I dislike about Emporium: mandatory frustration when trying to park the car.