Visa Confusion With Non Imm B And Work Permit

I have had a workpermit and been staying in thailand now for three years. At my last expiry of my non imm b visa i went to Penang with my workpermit and papers and they refused (for no valid reason) to issue me with a 1 year and gave me just 3 months single entry. This is going to run out in a months time and i have heard that i can get an extension of stay at my local immigration office to 1 year and then update my work permit??? What exactly is this? Does anyone have experience of this? Is it easy to get? How much does it cost?

Sorry for all the questions but really want to find a way out of travelling to another countries embassy and getting refused AGAIN for no reason.....thanks to all

The local consulates seem to be pushing people towards getting extensions of stay instead of one year multiple entry visas.

An extension of stay is basically a permit to remain in the country longer than you were given when you entered originally. They can be for many reasons. If you are on a tourist visa of 60 days, you could get an extension for 30 more days to enjoy your vacation longer. If you were working here, you can get a 1 year extension based on being employed here. If you are married to a Thai person, you can get a 1 year extension based on being married to a Thai person. You would need to go every year to immigration during the last 30 days on your extension of stay and apply for another one for the next year.

If you want to leave Thailand while on this extension of stay, you need to get a re-entry permit from immigration. Re-entry permits cost 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit, or 3800 baht for a multiple re-entry permit. If you do not get a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand, then you would lose you permission to stay and have to start over with a new visa.

Extension of stay cost 1900 baht at immigration.

In order to qualify for an extension of stay based on your employment, you will need to take the needed paperwork to immigration and apply. You will need to make a salary over a certain amount depending on which country you are from. The company you work for will need to be showing a profit, it will need to have the appropriate number of Thai nationals working for it. It takes more to qualify for an extension of stay compared to what it used to qualify for the multi B visa.

The local consulates seem to be pushing people towards getting extensions of stay instead of one year multiple entry visas.

An extension of stay is basically a permit to remain in the country longer than you were given when you entered originally. They can be for many reasons. If you are on a tourist visa of 60 days, you could get an extension for 30 more days to enjoy your vacation longer. If you were working here, you can get a 1 year extension based on being employed here. If you are married to a Thai person, you can get a 1 year extension based on being married to a Thai person. You would need to go every year to immigration during the last 30 days on your extension of stay and apply for another one for the next year.

If you want to leave Thailand while on this extension of stay, you need to get a re-entry permit from immigration. Re-entry permits cost 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit, or 3800 baht for a multiple re-entry permit. If you do not get a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand, then you would lose you permission to stay and have to start over with a new visa.

Extension of stay cost 1900 baht at immigration.

In order to qualify for an extension of stay based on your employment, you will need to take the needed paperwork to immigration and apply. You will need to make a salary over a certain amount depending on which country you are from. The company you work for will need to be showing a profit, it will need to have the appropriate number of Thai nationals working for it. It takes more to qualify for an extension of stay compared to what it used to qualify for the multi B visa.

Great thanks for your help...that really helps! sounds like i may be able to dodge another embassy run! :o

For extension of stay for work.

Company needs 4 staff that pays taxes and social security.

You have to earn the amount determined by your nationality.

Company must pay VAT.

So what's the score for a Co. whose turnover is less than 1.8 mil and isn't registered for VAT?

"For extension of stay for work.

Company needs 4 staff that pays taxes and social security.

You have to earn the amount determined by your nationality.[/b]

Company must pay VAT."

In the past this has not applied to teachers.

BREIF HISTORY !!

I am 40 years and a Pakistani national. I came to Thailand on Tourist Visa in December 2004 and married here with a Thai Girl. After 10 days of staying in Thailand, I alongwith my spouse went to Pakistan. After preganency she came alone to Thailand to stay with her parents. I came here on Tourist Visa once again in July 2006. After staying 90 days. I applied to change my visa status to NON Immigrant O with a work permit of salary 40K contract for 3 months and paid taxes 1700 bhat /per month. But after 3 months my contract expired and I have to leave the country. I came to Thailand once again having a NON immigrant B visa with 3 Months on 6 October 2007 made Work Permit as a Adjan salary 8940 Bhat which later extended 7 months more total 10 months, because my contract is expiring on 31 May 2008. The job usually found temporary and survival in Thailand is getting harder and harder with new rules on monthly basis. Now once again I am leaving the country and will soon back.

SOME STRANGE FACTS !!

Is it not strange that when your contract expires. Your visa expires. Your visa expires you get 7 days to find a job. When you get a job with another contract. You have to apply to labour department for work permit. Labour department takes 2 weeks for the process and your immigration department did not extend visa. So it always compell to eject you out of the country.

QUESTION !!

If the labour department takes 2 weeks, Is it not possible that the immigration department should also allow 2 weeks upon receipt of work permit case. Or otherwise extend 10 days more to the 7 days period atleast. I do not know others but its very hard for me to leave my thai child here because I am not financially strong. But it is very painful to go back and come back and find another employer within 3 months.

CONCLUSION !!

I am not criticising thai immigration laws, nor government policies but I truely believe that I can raise my voice through this famous "Thai Visa" site, to provide some solution to such problems which compell us to leave the country. Especially who is living with his family in thailand.

Best Regards !!

AhSaN

If your extension of stay is based on marriage to a Thai you do not have to leave the country immediately when your employment ends. It is when your extension is based on employment that you have to leave immediately. The important thing for you, therefore, is to apply for the right type of extension, ie for living with your Thai wife.

--

Maestro